Title: Program Officer, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa
Job status: Full-Time
Classification: PS II
Reports to: Director, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa
Division: International Partnerships
Salary Range: $59,449 to $72,770
Posting Date: February 10, 2020
Closing Date: February 21, 2020
Competition Number: 2020-13
Located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is the voice of Canada’s publicly supported colleges, institutes, cégeps and polytechnics, and an international leader in education for employment in over 25 countries. CICan’s members add over $190B to Canada’s economy annually and contribute to inclusive economic growth by working with industry and community partners to offer more than 10,000 programs to learners in urban, rural, remote, and northern communities.
CICan is an innovative, responsive and entrepreneurial learning organization that values diversity, accountability and transparency and supports the ongoing development of the country’s college and institute system and its people.
Reporting to the Director, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa, the Program Officer is responsible for supporting education for employment (EFE) programs that are implemented by the Caribbean and Anglophone Africa team. The primary focus of this role is the provision of support across several financial, technical and administrative areas. The Program Officer will work within frameworks as per by current and future programming needs. The Program Officer is expected to take initiative in solving problems and to demonstrate consistent ability to work well under pressure.
The incumbent may also be assigned to assist in the coordination of other initiatives and/or to assist other division team members in the design, implementation, and coordination of program activities, including research, program development as well as guidance support and training for CICan member institutions.
The Program Officer will work closely, as determined by the Director, with EFE Senior Technical Advisors, Senior Program Officers, other Program Officers and Administrative Coordinator, both in Canada and overseas. The incumbent will be primarily responsible for supporting the development, planning and implementation of program activities including monitoring and evaluation, and drafting of and revising documents including reports, proposals, guidelines, promotional materials and correspondence.
The work of the Program Officer is reviewed by the Director, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa (or designate, depending on the task) based on objectives and work plans set annually.
The Program Officer, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa will, as determined by the Director:
• assist with Monitoring and Evaluation activities of EFE programs (i.e. inputting data in the software, data collection, preparing reports from the M&E software, etc.)
• draft and revise documents and promotional materials related to EFE programs;
• support team in conducting research and surveys, analyzing data, preparing reports and guidelines, and preparing proposals, as assigned;
• work with Senior Program Officers in the implementation and coordination of the program’s activities, including providing support and guidance to member colleges/institutes that are implementing EFE programs;
• monitor the workflow and activities associated with assigned programs including planning, operational, development, contracts as well as guidance and support for the member colleges/institutes;
• assist in the preparation and revision of various types of proposals and documents if/as required;
• provide information to member colleges/institutes regularly to assist in their implementation of EFE programs;
• participate in the review of assigned programs to ensure that all contractual obligations are being met by all parties and report regularly on the implementation of activities and any anomalies;
• review financial reports submitted by institutional partnerships to ensure conformity with the program financial guidelines and report anomalies to Senior Program Officers;
• contribute to the effectiveness of team decision-making by obtaining information, searching records and preparing briefs;
• assist in maintaining contacts with the authorities from the appropriate planning, education and other related government and private sectors of the various overseas countries either directly, or through the member institutions, as required;
• support the coordination of meetings and events, including travel;
• support the team and provide direction as required;
• perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience
• graduate from a post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
• knowledge of international development; familiarity with the strategies of development and the socio-economic and political realities of the developing world;
• demonstrated research skills including electronic research;
• demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders at different levels;
• proficient in managing information and administrative processes;
• strong organizational, communication and interpersonal abilities;
• very strong ability to take initiative;
• demonstrated ability to being creative and innovative when problem-solving;
• excellent writing skills;
• knowledge of results-based management (RBM);
• fluency in English;
• demonstrated strong ability using Microsoft Office Suite (intermediate Excel);
• strong analytical skills and experience collecting, organizing, and analysing data.
Agility: We thrive in a complex environment that requires nimbleness and adaptability, and we anticipate and respond to changes with quick and resourceful actions.
Inspiring Others: We motivate individuals to strive for excellence and commit to common goals and purposes, as we create a sense of self-efficacy, resilience, and persistence in others.
Integrity: We treat others fairly and respectfully, and we further the standing of the organization and its relationships of trust with our members and other stakeholders.
• knowledge of M&E software;
• knowledge and understanding of the Canadian college/institute system;
• demonstrated knowledge of the education for employment (EFE) approach;
• experience working with procurement processes and practices;
• knowledge of French;
• international work experience;
• experience working on donor-funded projects, in particular with Global Affairs Canada.
• A complete benefit package
• Generous group RRSP contributions
• Great work environment with flexible hours
• 4 weeks vacation
• Time off with pay between Christmas and New Years
• Summer hours
• Generous paid time off package including paid sick time, medical/dental appointment leave and family sick leave)
• Corporate discounted gym membership
• Professional development opportunities
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Kim Royer, Human Resources Manager before 4pm on February 21, 2020 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact me if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
CICan provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise me if you require any accommodation.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.