Find Your Spot at Humber
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Humber’s Longo Faculty of Business delivers high-demand programs that will take graduates into current, relevant and future careers. We offer over 50 programs in a wide range of fields covering the broad spectrum of business in the evolving marketplace. Not only do we offer traditional business courses such as finance, accounting, administration, human resources and marketing, we also offer culinary, aesthetics, cosmetics, fashion and law with credentials ranging from diploma to degree to graduate certificates.
Entrepreneurship training is integrated into all programs. The Centre for Entrepreneurship, along with our highly specialized labs, work-integrated learning opportunities and our international partnerships have given the Longo Faculty of Business the reputation that gets our programs recognized by industries across Canada and the world. The future of business will be defined by our graduates. That is what we prepare them for. We are business at its best.
Visit www.business.humber.ca for more information.
Position Title: Associate Dean, Culinary, Baking, Hospitality, Tourism & Retail Operations and Services
Faculty/Department: Longo Faculty of Business
Campus/Location: North and Lakeshore campuses
Salary: $119,974 (Min) - $148,842 (Mid)
What you will do:
Under the direction of the Senior Dean, Longo Faculty of Business, the Associate Dean provides academic and administrative leadership to the professors, staff and students of the Faculty.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Human resource management and leadership, including the recruitment, selection, and the professional development and motivation of faculty and support staff;
• Responsibility for the quality of the student experience, through continuous improvement of curricula design, program renewal and new program development including on-line learning and continuing education offerings;
• Building and maintaining industry partner relationships, as well as other external stakeholder groups such as accrediting bodies and professional associations;
• Applied research initiative development including publications and presentations;
• Development and implementation of student success initiatives such as student retention and the promotion of academic integrity;
• Accountable for the operations, health and safety, revenue generation, expense and inventory management of $1.5 million worth of retail and service outlets.
• Responsible for adhering to and applying the College’s financial and purchasing and procurement policies and regulatory requirements.
• Identifying program needs, including specialized lab space, equipment and technology and equipment and lab upgrades and renovations.
• Participating in Faculty level strategic planning
Connaissances et compétences
What you bring to the role:
The successful candidate will hold a Master in Business Administration or graduate qualifications in a relevant academic discipline (Hospitality and Tourism) and a demonstrated, personal commitment to lifelong learning and the pursuit of excellence in teaching.
The incumbent will have a minimum of seven-years of progressive industry experience, a minimum of five years leadership experience in a postsecondary academic setting with in-depth knowledge of the Ontario college system. In addition, the incumbent will have a minimum of four years teaching experience with knowledge of adult learning principles, curriculum design and program development at an established and well-recognized post-secondary institution. Teaching and work experience should be from a business sector related to the programs offered in the Longo Faculty of Business, preferably in any of the following fields: culinary, baking, hospitality and tourism. As well as, experience in supporting initiatives related to food insecurities, sustainability in the restaurant industry and environmental sustainability including farm to fork.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in advanced level college or university curriculum development.
• Demonstrated competence in program and schedule planning (including SWF allocations) and evaluation.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching and work experience in fields relevant to the faculty programming.
• Computer literacy and experience with software to support teaching, research and administrative activities.
• Proven ability to deal with stressful and confidential matters including those related to mental health.
• Exceptional communication, problem solving and decision-making skills. Including excellent public speaking and listening skills.
• Consensus-building skills; ability to promote excellent working relationships with both academic and nonacademic staff.
• Ability to cope with a demanding workload, to remain calm and focused while under pressure, and able to deal with a wide range of individuals with diverse backgrounds and needs.
• The incumbent will have skills in negotiation and conflict resolution and be an advocate for staff, students, programs and the College as a whole.
• Proven active involvement with high-profile campus initiatives such as Skills Ontario, and developing relationships with industry leaders and external stakeholders that support the success of faculty and students.
• Understanding of the Ontario apprenticeship system and working with government to meet program delivery expectations and requirements.
• Knowledge of broader social, employment and economic context as it relates to existing and potential course offerings of the Faculty.
What’s in it for you?
• An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things
• Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other
• Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job
• Amazing perks
• Highly supportive work culture
At Humber College we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with Humber College. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Humber College is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At Humber College, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply via Humber Careers site: