Associate Vice-President, Global Engagement, Sheridan College
Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, and, ON
Sheridan College is searching for an Associate Vice-President, Global Engagement. This is a tremendously exciting opportunity at a post-secondary institution renowned for its commitment to academic quality, innovation, entrepeneurship, and the learner experience.
Sheridan acknowledges that for thousands of years the lands the College sits upon has been and still is the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nations, Anishinaabe Nation, Huron-Wendat and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. The College takes seriously their collective responsibility to honour and respect those who have gone before them, those who are there, and those who have yet to, and is grateful for the opportunity to work there.
Founded in 1967, Sheridan has grown from a local college of 400 students to one of Ontario's leading postsecondary institutions, educating approximately 28,944 full-time, 3,134 part-time and 11,000 continuing and professional studies students every year on three campuses in Oakville, Brampton and Mississauga with a budget of approximately $490 million dollars.
An award-winning institution, Sheridan attracts students from across Canada and around the world; their 215,000+ alumni play a critical role in shaping the future in the fields of arts, business, community service, health, technology, and the skilled trades.
Sheridan is proud to have been named first on Forbes’ 2023 list of Canada’s Best Employers and ranked 12th overall on Forbes’ list of Canada’s Best Employers for Diversity — the only college on the list of 150 organizations.
Connaissances et compétences
The Ideal Candidate
You are an outside-the-box thinker and business development leader who thinks strategically and through a strategic growth lens. You have a sophisticated understanding of post-secondary internationalization best-practices and Canadian and provincial immigration and education policy. You prioritize responsible and sustainable growth, and are committed to working with campus stakeholders to ensure international initiatives gain buy-in. You can build and maintain relationships with ease and possess exceptional cross-cultural understanding that allows you to thrive in an international business environment. You are comfortable working abroad and have experience working and/or living outside of Canada. You have an entrepreneurial mindset and are someone who enjoys pushing boundaries on a global scale.
Qualifications and Experience:
While the Search Committee recognizes that no one candidate is likely to meet all qualifications in equal measure, those listed below are desirable and will be used to compare candidates.
- Graduate level education with at least five years of management and supervisory experience
- Progressive international leadership experience in an educational institution that may include international student recruitment and/or international business development.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and management in an academic setting.
- Profound and demonstrated understanding of global trends relating to the internationalization of higher education.
- A responsive, collaborative, outcomes-focused and nimble leadership style.
- Strong knowledge of current trends, policies, legislation, and best practices relevant to international higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build relationships at all levels within an institution and manage key partnerships with senior stakeholders.
- Experience managing and leading cross-cultural teams with proven results, as well as significant leadership experience with regards to managing resources
- Demonstrated ability to compile, analyze and synthesize data (quantitative and qualitative) relating to large, complex, and multi-jurisdictional networks, consortia, or projects.
- Demonstrated ability to align policies and operations with broader institutional goals.
Skills and Attributes
- Someone with the capacity to thrive in a diverse yet ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and foster a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- You have excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written, and public speaking.
- You are a strategic leader, taking initiative and using good judgement while being flexible during challenges.
- An authentic, collaborative, and consultative leadership style that inspires people.
- You have a spirit of positive restlessness – striving to innovate and seeing opportunities where others see challenges.
- Decisiveness with the ability to effectively explain decisions and bring clarity to complex issues.
- Advanced capacity to balance multiple, sometimes competing priorities.
Tâches et responsabilités
Reporting to the Vice-President, Strategy and Global Engagement, the Associate Vice-President, Global Engagement will provide strategic leadership to Sheridan’s global engagement strategy, cultivate international academic and business partnerships, and work collegially to enhance the cohesiveness of the college’s international outreach.
The successful candidate will advance the College’s global engagement through the coordination of international activities among the College’s Faculties, leading the establishment of Sheridan’s Internationalization Strategy, spearheading global partnerships, and strengthening Sheridan’s global reputation. The incumbent will also lead the identification and development of offshore opportunities and will have strategic oversight of all strategic international activity by Sheridan College.
Key areas of oversight and responsibility are:
Strategic Oversight – Strategically evaluates existing programs and partnerships based on strengths, weaknesses, ROI, and overall strategic positioning of the College.
Innovative Leadership – Provides bold and innovative leadership while ensuring alignment with the College's mission, priorities, and values.
Cross-campus Collaboration – Works with the leadership team, campus stakeholders and external partners to develop global partnerships that are mutually beneficial, contribute to the international positioning of the College, and help Sheridan achieve its long-term goals.
Operational Excellence – Oversees the international business development budget, efficient and effective use of financial and human resources within their portfolio, including the recruitment and retention of staff, policy development and review, and issues management.
Sheridan College is committed to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI). The College welcomes candidates who self-identify as Black, Indigenous or a person of colour with lived experience and expertise in incorporating EDI practices into teaching and research. Joining a vibrant community at Sheridan where we aspire to achieve equity and diversity in all areas, the successful candidate will be expected to show evidence of a commitment to EDI and the promotion of a collegial and supportive working environment.
Please email email@example.com or communicate your needs to a recruitment professional named below to ensure that accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.