THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS OF EDUCATION, CANADA (CMEC) is an intergovernmental agency providing leadership in educational policy development, program administration, and research at the pan-Canadian and international levels. Located in the heart of Toronto (steps from the St. Clair subway), CMEC is seeking a:
BILINGUAL MANAGER, COMMUNICATIONS
Full-time, permanent position
Current salary range: $75,444–$97,373
Work arrangement can be remote, in-person, or hybrid
Reporting to the Director, Finance and Corporate Services, and working closely with the Executive Director, the Manager, Communications, is accountable for developing and implementing CMEC’s communications plan, and ensuring the organization effectively communicates with its target audiences: provincial and territorial government officials, the education sector, and the general public.
In joining CMEC, you will be joining a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and collegial environment, and an organization that is focused on enhancing the quality of education for all Canadians. You will work with government officials, stakeholders, and colleagues from across the organization and around the country.
This position is ideal for an individual who is experienced in public-sector and governmental communications, and who has an interest in helping the organization deliver on its strategic goals and objectives through the means of high-quality, impactful communications.
The position offers a competitive salary based on experience, as well as a full benefits package, including:
- Competitive vacation allotment
- 12 statutory holidays
- 10 sick days
- 5 personal days
- Personal wellness and professional development account ($600)
- Contribution towards employee’s own retirement savings plan
- Health benefits
- Flexible work schedule, with the opportunity for remote work
Connaissances et compétences
- Three to five years mid-level communications experience in public-sector/government settings
- Experience managing employees and budgets
- Experience developing effective communications campaigns, including on social media platforms
- Knowledge of, and sensitivity to, federal and provincial/territorial intergovernmental relations
- Superior command of English and French (both written and spoken)
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, and an ability to collaborate successfully
- Strong project management skills
- Highly developed networking and negotiating skills
- Highly developed decision-making and problem-solving abilities
- Strong political acumen and an ability to identify and mitigate risks
- Knowledge of education-related issues in Canada is an asset
Tâches et responsabilités
The Manager, Communications, is responsible for:
- ensuring that all of CMEC’s communications materials are of the highest quality—this includes maintaining up-to-date style guides and providing education to staff;
- ensuring the appropriate use of CMEC’s corporate identity;
- overseeing the work of the internal translation and copy-editing team;
- managing the relationship with external translation and interpretation services vendors;
- supporting the Executive Director and the Chair of CMEC in responding to media requests by triaging requests and developing key messages;
- managing the content of CMEC’s website and ensuring it is kept current and relevant;
- developing communications campaigns leveraging a variety of communications mediums, including social media, to communicate the work of CMEC;
- working with communications leads in provinces and territories to coordinate communications activities, including press releases and ministerial statements; and
- writing speeches and presentations for the Executive Director and other members of the senior leadership team.
- A degree in communications or journalism, or a combination of education and experience
Please send an electronic version of your cover letter and résumé to the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC), to the attention of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by 4:00 p.m. EDT, May 13, 2022. For more information, visit us at cmec.ca.
CMEC welcomes applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
CMEC thanks all candidates for their interest in this position. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
CMEC is an equal-opportunity employer.