The Director, International Student Services reports directly to the Associate Vice-President International & CEO TRU World Global Operations. This position is primarily responsible for all functions relating to the support of all international students studying on campus as well as all prospective international students applying to study on campus. The position also oversees the administrative operations of TRU World.
Working collaboratively with the TRU World senior leadership team, the incumbent provides leadership in developing overall guiding principles, policies, best practices and innovative solutions for international student services as it relates to all international students studying on campus and international admissions. This will be achieved through the International Student Support and International Admissions and Enrollment Services teams. In addition, the incumbent will also oversee administrative operations of TRU World such as reception, renovations and the departmental human resource function.
This role will include liaison with all relevant departments/divisions/faculties across TRU, supervision and evaluation of reporting staff, and budget oversight of appropriate areas.
- Provides strategic advice to the AVP International and implement the goals and priorities of TRU World as they relate to international student services.
- Provides leadership and direction for the entire operation of International Student Services, including the development/review of guiding principles, policies and procedures while continually looking for best practices and innovative business solutions to enhance the quality of the international student experience.
- Co-leads the operation and supervision of International Student Admissions and Enrollment Services with the Director, International Marketing and Recruitment. This includes the collaborative liaison with the Registrar's Office, overseeing the management of fees and policies while continually looking for best practices and innovative business strategies to increase efficiencies, services and overall quality of the student experience.
- Oversees the administrative operations of TRU World, which include the following departmental functions: reception, human resources, clerical support, renovations and most department-wide operations.
- Through collaboration with relevant supervisors, acts as liaison to Academic Advising and Faculty Advisors.
- Works in collaboration with the Registrar and Associate Registrar to ensure compliancy with International Admissions and Enrollment Services' procedures and support of International Student Service goals.
- Oversees and leads the operation and supervision for International Student Support; including oversight of all activities related to support and programming, which includes working with academic, technical and administrative divisions within TRU.
- Oversees and leads the development, operation, supervision and evaluation of international student support initiatives including pre-departure support, homestay and accommodation liaison, orientation programs and re-entry support, student success and support, emergency response, Off-Campus Work Permit Program (Citizenship and Immigration Canada), the international student activity program and student integration into campus and community life.
- Ensures the provision of exceptional service to international students.
- Provides leadership relating to internal technology initiatives for international student services and works with IT Services to coordinates integration within TRU systems.
- Oversees International Student Services human resources functions including hiring, scheduling, evaluation and performance management directly and through subordinate administrators to a team of approximately 25 employees.
- Works collaboratively with other TRU World leaders particularly the Director, International Marketing and Recruitment and the Director, International Partnerships and Business Development to support recruitment and partnership efforts any way possible.
- Develops and manages the annual budget for the areas of responsibility
- Provides leadership and/or representation on campus-wide committees such as Senate International Affairs Committee and its working groups, Committee for International Student Services and Liaison, Enrollment Management Committee, MyTRU Committee, Student Engagement Senate Committee and on other appropriate internal and external committees as necessary.
- This position will only travel on an exception basis.
- Under the direction of the AVP International and in collaboration with the relevant TRU World and campus leaders, contributes to strategies related to student retention.
- Formulates strategies for enhanced retention and collaborates with TRU stakeholders regarding implementation.
- Develops and implements innovations to meet evolving needs and expectations of students with regard to communications, admissions and student services.
Associate Vice-President (AVP), TRU World
- Masters degree in a relevant field, preferably education, educational leadership or intercultural communications
- Minimum of ten (10) years of related experience, including international education leadership and management, international student services, admissions and enrollment services
- Comprehensive knowledge of Canada's post-secondary education environment
- Proven understanding of international recruitment needs
- Evidence of successful management of substantive financial accounts ($3.0m+/annum)
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in a unionized environment
- Extensive international experience in the education sector
- Understanding and working knowledge of a variety of cultures in the education context
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills, including team building, conflict resolution, and creative, collaborative, problem-solving skills
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal
- Fluency in a second language is a definite asset