WHO WE ARE
At BCIT, putting people at the core of everything we do is paramount. This idea is the foundation of BCIT’s People Vision, which describes the Institute’s goals and priorities in respect to our people. In a complex and uncertain world, it’s vital our people feel valued, supported and connected. BCIT champions a culture of innovation and global progress through people’s imagination and creativity. With a competitive compensation package, great work-life balance, and career advancement opportunities, see why we’ve earned the title of one of BC’s Top Employers for over ten years running.
BCIT values diverse experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. If you require accessibility accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact RecruitmentAssistant@bcit.ca so we can best support you. Please note that all applications must be submitted via the careers page portal, email applications will not be accepted.
BCIT acknowledges that our campuses are located on unceded indigenous land belonging to the Coast Salish peoples, including the territories of the xʷm əθkwəy̓əm [Musqueom], SəI̓ilwə toʔ /Selilwitulh [Tslei/-Woututh] ond Skwxwulmesh [Squomish] Nations.
BCIT’s SMART Operations department is currently seeking a regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) Director. Provides strategic direction and leadership to the SMART Department, a multidisciplinary research group focused on energy management, smart grid, cyber security and EV Charging applied research, and education. Oversees the development of systems, products, processes and applications for clients and funding organizations, and facilitates technology transfer by providing early stage innovation support services to students, faculty, and industry in the related technology sectors.
Contributes to the success of members of the BCIT community, by supporting post-secondary education, innovation and the economic development that results from applied research. Provides contract services to industry and engages in grant funded applied research and collaborations with academic departments to provide practical solutions to customer’s needs.
Benefits - Why you'd love working with us
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of twenty-five days of vacation
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined contribution pension plan with employer contributions
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT PTS courses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
Connaissances et compétences
- Master’s degree (PhD degree preferred) in a field related to technology and innovation, e.g., Design, Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic/Power or Software Engineering.
- Minimum 15 years of experience directly related to technology development, academic applied research, industry and/or business.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Demonstrated experience cultivating ongoing business development and strategic initiatives with internal and external stakeholders that directly impact annual departmental revenue targets and KPI’s;
- Demonstrated experience establishing industry partnerships and collaborations.
- Advanced project management skills with experience in monitoring and supporting projects of various sizes.
- Ability to assess the impact of broad social, economic and technological trends and identify opportunities for new business development.
- Demonstrated competency managing the development of large grants applications and proposals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to communicate to a large audience, establish rapport, negotiate and persuade others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and sustain a variety of stakeholder relationships, including government and community agencies.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage a team of reporting leaders and professionals; ability to build a strong team-based environment.
- Strong knowledge of human equity driven practices and leadership.
Tâches et responsabilités
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and monitors short and long-term departmental goals and objectives, and provides analysis, planning and direction for the development of the SMART strategic plan, ensuring alignment with overall BCIT strategic plan.
- Initiates and oversees the development of proposals as well as strategic and tactical operational initiatives and takes appropriate measures to overcome obstacles to their implementation.
- Leads or oversees all stages of planning, design and development of systems, products, processes and applications for clients, ensuring necessary resources, communication, reporting, documentation and performance metrics are in place to support the development and technology transfer processes.
- Ensures fulfilment of departmental key performance indicators (KPI’s) and performance metrics in relation to deliverables, established revenue targets, project funding targets and operations budget.
- Liaises and maintains effective networks, alliances and joint ventures with other organizations including R&D agencies, universities, colleges, governments, and related industry and professional organizations. Represents and advocates for SMART and CARI to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Acts as strategic advisor to the Dean and academic areas. Develops strong working relationships with BCIT’s schools and service departments to build and support departmental research and educational goals.
- Provides strategic direction to critical communications and interactions across the Applied Research and BCIT community of faculty and students, and externally with industry partners, regulatory agencies, clients and other stakeholders.
- Provides strategic oversight of compliance with international, federal and provincial regulations, as well as industry guidelines and institute policies related to all areas of accountability.
- Provides consultation, expertise and advice to internal and external stakeholders, explaining procedures, processes and discussing risks, opportunities and solutions. Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement and ensures processes and solutions are optimized to address client’s needs.
- Manages reporting staff, overseeing and participating in selection, coaching, mentoring, development, performance management and all other people-management practices.
Please note that all applications must be submitted via the careers page portal, email applications will not be accepted.