Title: IT Support Specialist
Classification: Program Staff II
Supervisor: Manager, Information Technology & Systems (IT&S)
Division: Corporate Services
Employment Status: Full time
Work location: Fully in person
Reporting to the Manager, Information Technology and Systems, the IT Support Specialist is responsible for providing a wide range of end-user remote and in-person support for software/hardware requirements and requests, and technical assistance for a global workforce. The IT Support Specialist will maintain a high level of customer satisfaction with a focus on first-call resolution.
The IT Support Specialist requires strong problem-solving skills, sound judgement and the ability to work independently – in a larger team context - while managing multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritizing work according to established and sometimes changing deadlines.
This position requires day-to-day handling of personal information. All work must be performed in a manner that respect Privacy and Security Requirements.
The work of the IT Support Specialist is reviewed by the Manager, Information Technology & Systems based on objectives and work plans set annually.
- Juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and demands of a responsible nature ranging from desktop troubleshooting to the support, analysis and / or development of in-house and hosted systems, providing effective and innovative problem-solving solutions.
- Take initiative in identifying areas where information technology solutions could improve operational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Interact and communicate clearly and effectively with CICan staff while maintaining a pleasant and service-oriented disposition.
- Organize work effectively and efficiently within a team environment.
- Function with flexibility and autonomy.
- Work under pressure and sometimes changing deadlines, with strong attention to detail.
- Make efficient and strategic recommendations.
- Treat everyone fairly and equitably and maintain high ethical standards.
- Perform duties in accordance with CICan’s competencies, values, and code of ethics.
- Perform System Administration and user account management.
- Monitor program and corporate web application usage and feedback, identify issues, and develop solutions to improve usability.
- Provide support for web servers and services.
- Assist with the monitoring and maintenance of information systems.
- Assist with updating of system content at the request of project or program staff.
- Provide support to business analysis efforts by analyzing processes and data.
- Assisting with the development of requirements or materials needed for business cases and/or new processes and procedures.
- Assist with research, configuration, and deployment of new solutions.
- Install and maintain operating system and application software.
- Ensure effective endpoint security, including antivirus and malware protection, firewall, and advanced threat protection systems.
- Provide hardware maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain and support the HQ local area network, virtual network infrastructure, Internet connectivity, virtual private network (VPN) access and controls, network segmentation, IP cameras and associated security hardware.
- Maintain and support HQ equipment including AV equipment, room and entry booking systems, telephone, photocopier, fax, postage meter, printers and the alarm system.
- Provide expert guidance for the acquisition of new equipment and systems, liaise with suppliers, coordinate purchase, rental and usage of equipment;
- Assist in the coordination of, and purchase of, equipment through the Employee Purchase Plan.
Application and Systems Support:
- Participate in team meetings, system reviews and work closely with technical and non-technical teams.
- Develop new and update existing operating procedures, users guides and technical documentation.
- Provide remote and in person training on and support of the use of relevant software, including the MS Office Suite and corporate applications and other tools.
- Respond to email, online and telephone client support requests.
- Troubleshoot, triage, and resolve customer support issues, providing exceptional customer service, and communicating concise details to internal teams and to the customer.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Coordinate facilities related requests with the landlord, including lighting, HVAC, and housekeeping.
- Liaise with general contractors and other suppliers.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies.
- Maintain inventory of first aid supplies and equipment.
- Process invoice payment requests
- Graduate from a post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Clear, concise and effective communication ability.
- Strong customer service work ethic and attention to detail.
- Experience creating, maintaining and licensing user accounts with Microsoft Office 365 and Azure Active Directory
- Experience providing desktop and web application user training and support to remote users.
- Demonstrated ability to find new relevant digital tools, and to rapidly learn their use.
- Proficient at managing information and administrative processes.
- Strong organizational, communication, analytical and interpersonal abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and innovative when problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and ensure the work effectively contributes to broader program and organizational goals.
- Demonstrated experience managing LANs and associated IP devices
- Experience installing and supporting audio and video communication equipment and systems.
- Ability to exercise discretion and professionalism.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and French.
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite (advanced Excel).
- Experience using and supporting Microsoft Teams and SharePoint.
- Basic knowledge of ‘Software as a Service’ solutions (SAAS) and experience of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Experience with Dynamics CRM, SQL, workflow systems including PowerApps, Power Platform and Power Pages.
- Familiarity with PowerBI, ONA and Business Central.
- Experience with SmartSimple and related API as well as use of related ODATA feeds.
- Experience with WizeHive and related API as well as use of related ODATA feeds.
- Familiarity with various operating systems and platforms.
- Experience with Microsoft Intune or other mobile device management platforms.
- Experience with DocuSign.
- Technical expertise working with Apple products (MAC OS X).
- Standard First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
- Experience supporting facilities management systems and / or environments.
- International work experience.
- Intercultural skills.
To be successful in this position you will be able to exhibit our core competencies:
Agility: We thrive in a complex environment that requires nimbleness and adaptability, and we anticipate and respond to changes with quick and resourceful actions.
Inspiring Others: We motivate individuals to strive for excellence and commit to common goals and purposes, as we create a sense of self-efficacy, resilience, and persistence in others.
Integrity: We treat others fairly and respectfully, and we further the standing of the organization and its relationships of trust with our members and other stakeholders.
Collaboration: We work together, across teams and divisions, to leverage our collective expertise and talents in support of organizational success and a culture of cooperation.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé in a PDF format before September 21, 2023.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. We recognize that diverse teams generate unique solutions, ideas, and perspectives. Therefore, we welcome and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) individuals, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Do not hesitate to contact 613-746-2222 x 5827 if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application. CICan provides accommodations during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
CICan is following local public health guidelines as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. When allowable to work from the office, we have a hybrid approach with individuals working from both home and the office. Depending on the requirements of the role, the opportunity may exist to work completely remotely.
It is a mandatory condition of employment that the successful candidate be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with Government of Canada approved vaccines at least 14 days prior to start date (proof of vaccination is required or proof of accommodation pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code).
Employees who are full-time internal candidates, as defined by the Collective Agreement, will be given first consideration. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.
CICan’s offices in Ottawa are located on the traditional and unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe Nation.
Colleges and Institutes Canada is named one the 2022 National Capital Region’s Top Employer and the proud recipient of the Non-Profit Employer of Choice Award.