Professor – Geographic Information Systems (ARD 40061)
School of Design
Faculty of Creative Industries
Employment Group: Faculty
Type of Position: Full-time
Hours of Work Per Week: 44
Closing Date: Internal Close – May 4, 2021
External Close – Open Until Filled
IMPORTANT: Do not apply for this position through the Job Board on this site. In order to be considered for this position you MUST apply through the Fanshawe College website online application system. See information below on how to apply.
Approximate Start Date: July 5, 2021
Salary: Determination of starting salaries is based on relevant teaching/occupational experience and relevant formal qualifications, supported with original transcripts from granting institutions. The salary scale is $66,555 to $115,378 along with a comprehensive benefit package.
Partial load or full-time academic staff presently employed with the College will be given first consideration in accordance with the Academic Collective Agreement.
While transcripts are not required for the interview, they are mandatory prior to any offer of employment.
Connaissances et compétences
- Combination of excellent leadership and teaching skills with a strong commitment to academic excellence and student success
- Excellent communicator
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to relate effectively to a wide variety of learners
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with educational technologies are required
- Teaching experience with hybrid and/or online delivery preferred
- Related industry work experience, previous college teaching experience and knowledge of curriculum design and student evaluations are assets
Tâches et responsabilités
A full-time Professor at Fanshawe College is responsible for providing academic leadership and for developing an effective learning environment for students. The School of Design has several programs with GIS courses from diploma to degree, as well as a GIS post-graduate certificate. In these programs, learners achieve broad contemporary academic content and workflow practices and tools. There is a focus on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in the context of Urban and Regional Planning and in geodesign. The successful candidate will have expert knowledge of GIS and related technologies and will teach upper and lower-level GIS courses utilizing some or all of Esri, Autodesk, PCI Geomatics, Datem, R, QGIS, and other Open-source GIS software. Other teaching assignments related to expertise may occur as required.
The successful candidate will teach in the GIS graduate certificate program as well as School of Design geography-related diploma and degree programs such as the GIS and Urban Planning Diploma and Honours Environmental Design and Planning degree. Faculty are expected to conduct PD and research related to teaching and their field. Other duties may include participation in program development and working collaboratively with other faculty. Full-time professors also participate in the broader College community through committees and other activities.
Note: Candidates selected to interview should be prepared to discuss a current and relevant GIS specialization.
- Qualified candidates must have a minimum of a graduate degree in Geographic Information Systems or in a land-based related field such as Geography, Planning, Environmental Design with a specialization in Geographic Information Systems/Science
- Candidates with college or university level teaching experience and membership in professional organizations such as GISP, CIP, or CSLA preferred
- Minimum 7 years recent and relevant experience
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered; preference will be given to applicants meeting the minimum education requirements
- Sustainable land use planning and design mindset
- Demonstrated expert currency in industry software and tool
- Proficiency with technical, studio and online learning are assets
- Demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning and leading innovation
- Must be committed to teaching and mentoring students by engaging students in experiential education opportunities
- The successful candidate must be willing to work closely with community partners and/or businesses to provide practical projects for students and to organize and participate in extracurricular projects (such as field trips, seminars, professional associations, events and conferences, etc.)
How to Apply:
For more information and how to apply, please visit the Fanshawe College website at: https://jobs.fanshawec.ca/
DO NOT APPLY THROUGH THE JOB BOARD ON THIS SITE.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
Fanshawe College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Fanshawe College provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, the hiring manager and the Recruitment Coordinator leading the recruitment will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant's accommodation needs.