Reporting to the Manager, Mobility Programs, the Senior Programs Officer –Marketing and Recruitment is responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of CICan international recruitment and marketing activities. The incumbent takes a leading role (or provides support) on all matters relating to international students, including study permit/immigration policy. In these areas, the incumbent is charged with maintaining an up-to-date understanding of and advocating for the interests of CICan member institutions.
The Senior Program Officer cultivates and maintains working relationships with government officials, mainly but not exclusively, at Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with a view to developing collaborative marketing and recruitment initiatives. They work closely with CICan members and other stakeholders to promote Canada’s public college systems internationally, in new markets, with a view to creating favorable conditions for CICan members institutions to increase and diversify their international enrollments and works to maintain and advance CICan’s current international partnerships (including with Scotiabank) and to explore/develop new partnership opportunities with respect to collaborative recruitment efforts, international work integrated learning (student mobility), and student welcoming services, among others. In doing so, the Specialist works closely and consult with colleagues across the organization including in International, Communications, Planning and Statistics, and Government Relations as required.
Activities include, but are not limited to advocacy and government relations, proposal design; proposal preparation; project management (including budget); report writing; international marketing campaign/mission design and support; collaborating with international partners (including Scotiabank) and CICan members, among other stakeholders; liaising with key government and institutional representatives in Canada and abroad; market investigation, analysis and research; information sharing and webinar development/delivery for members and, contracting additional resources in Canada or abroad as required. The main focus will be to develop emerging international recruitment markets (selected based on objective research and member input). Support for initiatives in other markets may be required on request by the Manager.
The incumbent is expected to contribute to corporate planning, priority-setting, and policy discussions as well as to the achievement of the Association’s strategic goals and objectives, as directed by the Manager. There is no administrative support for this position. The Senior Program Officer is expected to make their own travel arrangements and is accountable for fulfilling his/her performance objectives based on agreed-upon annual work plans. The position may be extended based on available funding and satisfactory performance.
Nature and Scope:
This position requires leadership, problem-solving, analytical and decision-making capabilities, customer acumen and significant experience in the field. Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills coupled with a high energy approach to client service, networking and the ability to work independently in a complex and fast paced environment are essential. Political and intercultural sensitivity are critical.
The incumbent will organize and lead large delegations of CICan member institutions on marketing and recruitment missions, and support member participation in virtual education fairs, sometimes in cooperation with embassy officials overseas, service providers and other stakeholders. In doing so, the incumbent will articulate, through public presentations and one-on-one dialogue, the value and appeal of Canada’s college and institute systems to prospective students and potential partners in both English and French, as required.
The incumbent will maintain a sound knowledge of member institutions’ capabilities as well as the varying socio-economic and cultural contexts of the countries in which we work. Ongoing market assessments and research related to recruitment trends and opportunities will be required. In addition to evaluating marketing and recruitment specific partnership development opportunities, as they relate and align with, for example, the government of Canada’s International Education Strategy, the incumbent will be expected to support ongoing partnership development opportunities across other lines of business. An understanding of international development, donor requirements, and accountability frameworks is therefore essential.
The role requires the ability to perform a variety of highly complex tasks in a constantly evolving context and includes interacting with a variety of stakeholders, governments, member institutions and employer associations. It requires a thorough understanding of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada policies and programs as they relate to international education and students. The incumbent will be called upon to support government relations, and advocacy, as it relates to international student programs and policy at the federal level and, to a lesser extent, at the provincial level.
The Senior Program Officer represents CICan and must be knowledgeable about CICan’s strategic vision and initiatives.
An aspect of this position is the requirement to travel extensively domestically and internationally.
Connaissances et compétences
- A minimum of three (3) years experience in recruitment and marketing activities, for colleges and institutes or other higher education institutes and organizations, with demonstrated competence in the planning and implementation of marketing and recruitment campaigns;
- Sound knowledge of the college system in Canada and an understanding of international activities;
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking market analyses and marketing campaigns by employing both traditional and virtual methods;
- Demonstrated familiarity with and knowledge of Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) programs and processes;
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making and problem-solving capabilities;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills;
- Experience in the preparation of work plans and reports;
- Demonstrated abilities in budget development and management, in preparing financial reports for projects, and in reconciliations;
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders and at various levels of organizational hierarchy;
- Experience in strategic planning, preferably as it relates to project/program management in marketing and recruitment;
- Demonstrated research and writing abilities in the preparation of reports, concept papers and/or proposals, specifically related to marketing and recruitment;
- Fluency in both written and verbal English;
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in French;
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite (intermediate Excel) an/or other software project management packages.Desirable Abilities/Experience:
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in another language relevant to the Asian (e.g., Chinese or Vietnamese) or Latin American region (e.g., Spanish or Portuguese);
- Familiar with and able to use modern survey techniques;
- Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC); and
- Overseas experience in a recruitment or marketing position.
Tâches et responsabilités
- Provide accurate and timely information to the Manager, Mobility Programs, senior management more generally, and members of the Executive team as requested;
- Collaborate with CICan member institutions ’s international and domestic partners to understand their goals and objectives and facilitate, develop and enhance good working relationships;
- Initiate, develop, plan and manage international marketing and recruitment activities and initiatives, including programs and processes to improve study permit outcomes and to facilitate processing.
- Facilitate co-branding of recruitment and student welcome services with key stakeholders and partners including, but not limited to, Global Affairs Canada (Edu-Canada) and Scotiabank, as appropriate.
- Provide oversight and coordination expertise for business development and marketing activities primarily in new markets;
- Conduct research, analyze information/data and provide advice regarding new opportunities internally and to our members;
- Complete market analysis for various countries;
- Prepare proposals and concept papers, including budget development;
- Prepare annual budgets and monitor budget utilization and financial activity reports;
- Coordinate missions and provide support in the recruitment of consultants including the development of an evaluation, selection and orientation process;
- Support the set-up of overseas offices and operations; this includes but is not limited to providing advice on the hiring of local staff and negotiating office leases, when required;
- Write reports and briefings to all stakeholders, including Scotiabank and CICan senior management;
- Draft contracts, manage deliverables and outputs, facilitate timely payment of invoices and ensure ISO compliance;
- Assist in the development of strategies for new programs;
- Troubleshoot and introduce process improvements;
- Represent CICan at meetings and conferences; and
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Graduate from a post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Pat Serediuk, Manager, Human Resources before 4pm on May 22, 2020 viaemail to: email@example.com.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact me if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.