Find Your Spot at Humber
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Please review Humber College/ Guelph Humber vaccination policy prior to applying to this position.
Position Title: Associate Dean, Liberal Studies
Status: Permanent, Full-Time Admin
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Faculty/Department: Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Liberal Studies
Campus/Location: North Campus
Payband/Salary: ADM 08 $119,074.00 - $178,611.00
What you will do:
Reporting to the Senior Dean of the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Associate Dean, Liberal Studies, works collaboratively with the Senior Dean and other members of the administration in the development and implementation of the Faculty’s strategic initiatives as part of the College’s strategic and academic plans.
The Associate Dean provides academic and administrative leadership, supervision and direction to the professors, managers, support staff and students of the Faculty, in the courses / programs included in their portfolio. The incumbent ensures that the objectives of the courses / programs in their portfolio are attained through effective supervision of teaching and learning and through promoting a culture of quality in the department. The Associate Dean facilitates the on-going development, review and renewal of courses / programs to reflect current and future market changes, the employment needs of industry, and innovation and partnerships for the areas under their leadership. The incumbent also supports in a variety of capacities the development of applied research initiatives.
Critical to this Associate Dean role is a focus on creating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) within the faculty and staff in the department, as well as leading the department in the integration of EDI within curricula, pedagogies, and assessment strategies. The incumbent will be expected to articulate the department’s commitments and concrete actions regarding EDI to students, other academic areas within Humber, placement partners, and other external stakeholders.
The Associate Dean participates in the development and implementation of Faculty-based academic and student success initiatives such as student recruitment and retention, strategic enrolment management, problem solving and appeals processes, job placement initiatives and transformational leadership.
In collaboration with the Senior Dean, the Associate Dean liaises with internal and external stakeholders, and participates in meetings and committees as appropriate to support their portfolio and the Faculty and institutional strategic goals. The incumbent has academic and administrative responsibility for liberal studies curricula across multiple programs and credential levels within Humber. In addition, the incumbent provides academic and administrative leadership for ongoing program development within the portfolio, and they are responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of new electives and degree breadth courses.
What you bring to the role:
- The successful candidate will possess a Master’s degree in a discipline relevant to the Faculty programing; a PhD or EdD is an asset.
- The incumbent will have at least nine (9) years of progressive leadership experience in an academic setting and demonstrated expertise in curriculum development, marketing, public speaking, budgeting, and human resources management.
Specifically, the candidate must demonstrate the following:
- Curriculum development experience that reflects the interdisciplinary nature of general education and that applies an EDI mindset
- Knowledge of the broader social, employment and economic contexts as they relate to existing and
Potential course / program offerings of the Faculty
- Experience leading flexible, digital, and experiential learning initiatives
- Ability to create a quality culture when it comes to program and curriculum development, implementation, review, and renewal
- Advocacy for the role of liberals arts and sciences as part of a polytechnic education
Teaching and Learning:
- Experience in fostering excellence in teaching at an established and well-recognized educational institution
- Effective teaching experience in fields relevant to the Faculty programming
- Experience with the scholarship of teaching and learning and/or applied research
Human Resources, Finances, Operations, and Marketing:
- Responsible administrative or leadership experience at the post-secondary level that includes developing and managing budgets, administration of policies and procedures, and management of human resources
- Digital fluency skills, including experience with digital platforms to support teaching, research and administrative activities
- Advocacy for the professions associated with their portfolio and awareness of the professional landscape locally, nationally and internationally
- Commitment to inter-professional education and collaboration within the Faculty and the College community
- Ability to establish relationships with existing and new external partners and stakeholders
- Competence in program and schedule planning and evaluation
Communication and Self-Awareness:
- Ability to resolve conflicts, build consensus, and promote excellent working relationships with both academic and non-academic staff
- Excellent communication skills, including strong active listening and exceptional verbal and written communication
- Commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
What’s In it for you?
- An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things.
- Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other.
- Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job.
- Amazing perks
- Highly supportive work culture
At Humber College we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with Humber College. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Humber College is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At Humber College, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org