At BCIT, we champion diversity of experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives, to foster a community in which equality and inclusivity are embedded in everything we do. We embrace endless innovation, ignited by imagination and creativity, to improve our approaches, opportunities and outcomes. We strive to achieve excellence in everything we do, to accomplish real, measurable results. We believe in the power of collaboration to amplify our efforts and begin every interaction with a foundation of respect for others’ expertise, insights and inherent worth. Our overall vision is to empower people, share BC, and inspire global progress. If this resonates with you, come join our team as we continue to provide practical education for a complex world.
BCIT’s Respect, Diversity, and Inclusion (RDI) department is seeking a regular, full-time Advisor. This position provides input to development of strategies, plans, and practices, and participates in strategic initiatives that support the Institute’s goals and objectives for a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion in the learning and working environment. The Advisor delivers respectful workplace services; engages in investigations, interventions, mediation, and conflict resolution; and reports on complex, highly sensitive matters. Further, the Advisor participates in development and delivery of programs that educate and promote awareness of the Institute’s values of respect, diversity, and inclusion, and related practices.
Preference will be given to a candidate who has demonstrated a record of excellence in ethical engagement, using a trauma informed approach, with members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity and we actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, sex, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women; and
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides input to development of strategies, plans and practices, and participates in strategic initiatives that support the Institute’s goals and objectives for a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion in the learning and working environment.
- Provides input to development of policies, standards, and procedures, and carries out advisory work in compliance with policies, collective agreements, and applicable legislation.
- Delivers respectful environment services including confidential consultations, investigations, interventions, mediation, conflict resolution, and reporting on complaints of harassment, discrimination, bullying, and other issues under the Institute’s Harassment and Discrimination policy and procedure.
- Participates in development and delivery of programs that educate and promote awareness of the Institute’s respectful learning and working environment, policies, and all related practices. Identifies and makes recommendations to address systemic barriers that conflict with the Institute’s values of respect, diversity, and inclusion.
- Provides expertise to the Institute’s executive, faculty, management, staff, students, and union representatives on respectful workplace matters, advising, coaching, and making recommendations on best practices, methods and techniques, to address and mitigate disputes and other challenges.
- Ensures the protection and storage of highly sensitive and confidential information and documentation, particularly as it relates to complex investigations of respectful environment issues, involving collection and assessment of information from multiple stakeholders.
- Liaises with human resources leaders to ensure the principles of a respectful learning and working environment are embedded in all people management policies and practices.
- Participates as a non-voting member of the Harassment and Discrimination Steering Committee and various other committees, contributing expertise and ensuring the Institute’s respectful learning and working environment are considered in all planning and decisions.
- Supports the Associate Director in development of statistics, reports, and presentations regarding program achievements, status of key initiatives, emerging issues, and legal risks related to respectful environment matters.
- Carries out research of best practice, case law, and changes to legislation, and determines appropriate application to respectful workplace programs, services, and initiatives.
- Bachelor or Juris Doctor degree in law preferred.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience at progressive levels of responsibility in a related field, with emphasis on development and delivery of respectful environment programs and services; must include several years’ experience in conflict resolution and conducting investigations.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of the concepts, theories, practices and techniques related to respectful learning and working environments with advanced expertise in human rights law and matters relating to harassment, discrimination, diversity and inclusion.
- Advanced relationship management skills with ability to build productive, collaborative relationships between management, employees, unions, and other internal/external stakeholders, particularly when addressing highly complex, sensitive matters.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills with expertise in facilitation, investigation, intervention, mediation and conflict resolution; ability to obtain commitment and action from other via persuasion and influence.
- Advanced analytical skills and ability to apply sound judgment in problem solving, evaluating courses of action, and making decisions on respectful workplace matters.
- Proficiency with standard office systems and applications.