Reporting to the Dean, the incumbent provides broad academic management to a cluster of diverse programs within an academic/program area. Ensures the objectives of the programs are attained through effective supervision of teaching and learning processes. Facilitates the on-going review of existing programs and the development of new programs to reflect market changes and the employment needs of industry. In accordance with College Policies and the Collective Agreement, the incumbent supports a collaborative problem-solving culture when dealing with student and staff issues/complaints. Establishes positive relationships with faculty, staff, students & industry/sector representatives. Supports students, the student experience, recruitment and workplace initiatives
Knowledge and Skills
- A minimum of 9 years of combined industry and academia experience is required, along with demonstrated competence in advanced level college curriculum development, program and schedule planning and evaluation.
- Experience with academic processes and procedures (including curriculum development, teaching and learning styles and techniques, complaint procedures, program reviews, collective agreements, etc.)
- Project management experience with demonstrated analytical and organizational skills to be able to manage multiple projects in an effective and timely manner
- Communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills in order to build and cultivate relationships with a variety of stakeholders and manage difficult situations with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to identify, address and resolve problems or conflicts in an efficient and diplomatic manner
- Experience developing, managing and monitoring budgets
- Demonstrated community connections and networking experience
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially in a unionized environment
- Ability to lead effectively in organizational change management
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively in the development and implementation of the school’s operational plan as part of the college’s academic planning process that supports the implementation of the strategic plan.
- Serves as a formal contact between portfolios/schools and other functional areas of the College on operational matters
- Builds relationships with internal and external partners to develop and expand program opportunities
- Initiates, facilitates and actively participates in the development and implementation of new academic programs, the ongoing review of existing programs in response to changing economic and market pressures, changing technology and employment opportunities according to business/industry/field standards and College/Ministry guidelines. Participates in the development of new program initiatives to assist the College with new partnerships and strategic alliances, and the development and implementation of alternative learning and delivery strategies.
- Ensures that the objectives of the school are attained through effective supervision of the teaching and learning processes including the provision of appropriate learning resources and maintenance of close contacts with the external community, advisory committees and other educational institutions
- Chairs several committees and represents the school on College-wide committees. Hold positions from time to time that involve facilitating College-wide and campus initiatives.
- Conducts curriculum review processes for assigned portfolio, and implements initiatives related to curriculum
- In accordance with provisions set out in College and Ministry policies and also in situations where established practices do not exist, develops & recommends learning outcomes for programs and strategic alliances
- Seeks and promotes new initiatives that reflect and meet the needs of changing academic, business and industry sectors, employers, college students, and the goals/objectives of the College
- Establishes and maintains positive, ongoing relationships within the various fields including advisory committee members, professional associations, and
- business/industry/government representatives.
- Maintains a high level of performance through effective recruiting, selecting, developing, motivating, evaluating and training of faculty and support staff within the assigned portfolio. Promotes and monitors ongoing professional development of faculty and staff.
- Directs and administers the activities of faculty in their teaching assignments and complementary functions that create an effective working environment for all staff and the teaching/learning process
- Ensures that faculty and staff assignments are consistent with College policies and procedures and Collective Agreements
- Conducts performance reviews of full-time and non-full-time faculty and support staff
- Provides support to staff in a variety of ways including class room visits and facilitating orientation, mentorship, career and professional development, coaching and coordinating faculty activities.
- Assists in ensuring that support staff in the academic area receive the resources and support needed to complete their work.
- Conducts first and second level investigations and initiates the problem-solving process for disputes involving faculty, staff and students. Utilizes Collective Agreements, Student Rights and Responsibilities documents, etc to assist in the dispute resolution process. Participates as an administrative representative on the formal student appeal procedure.
- Establishes and fosters a working environment that encourages creativity, communication and interaction among and between faculty and support staff to meet new and existing school initiatives
- Advises and counsels students to help them resolve problems and coordinates crisis management strategies for vulnerable students
- Develops, monitors and directs budget activity for the portfolio and keeps the Dean informed of budget status.
- Projects student enrolment for the purpose of college revenue distribution. Develops budget submissions for appropriate/available external grants and determines related expenditures
- Ensures the effective use of human, physical and financial resources, reallocating resources appropriately as necessary.
- Provides input into the determination of work assignments for full-time & part-time staff
- Reviews generation and accuracy of data that affects SWF’s, course loading for student timetables, marketing/promotional materials, etc
- Assists the Dean as necessary regarding implementation of special projects, and represents the Dean at assigned functions/activities.
- Master’s degree in a field related to Human Services, Community Safety, Adult Education or Educational Leadership with progressive academic and teaching experience in post-secondary education
- Training in teaching / training / curriculum (e.g. Centre for Teaching & Learning courses)
How to Apply
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to persons of Indigenous ancestry, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. If you are contacted to participate in the interview, please advise the coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Georgian College has introduced FLEX Work for some positions. This position is currently eligible for Hybrid Work. FLEX agreements will be determined between the employee and manager when employment commences and may change in accordance with the FLEX Work guidelines. All employees are required to permanently reside in the province of Ontario.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Us and then to Career Opportunities.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2023. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.