Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: Associate Vice-President, Indigenous Leadership, Innovation and Partnerships
The Associate Vice-President (AVP), Indigenous Leadership, Innovation and Partnerships is responsible for the overall Indigenous leadership, innovation, partnerships, and strategic planning at KPU. The AVP will provide leadership and support KPU’s efforts towards truth and reconciliation, and provide senior advice and guidance on how KPU can work towards decolonizing and indigenizing the university’s structure. The position works collaboratively across all campuses, with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to develop relationships and ensure effective education and service for Indigenous learners. The AVP plays a key role in keeping the University engaged with the external Indigenous communities and in promoting the importance of Indigeneity and reconciliation.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Strong preference given to candidates who identify as an individual with Indigenous heritage (First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples)
• Strong knowledge and understanding of Indigenous issues, cultures and practices.
• Experience in leading and implementing change, including developing new strategies, policies and procedures.
• Extensive managerial and collegial leadership with the ability to serve as a representative and advocate for institutional resources that support Indigenous learners.
• Demonstrated commitment to promoting and fostering student success.
• Demonstrated understanding and leadership in support of UNDRIP and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) calls to action.
• Demonstrated experience with leading and implementing institutional change initiatives
• Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels and successfully lead and manage change in a multi-union, complex environment.
• Knowledge of key partner organizations in this field.
• Understanding of the Canadian education system and academic policies and processes that contribute to a quality student experience.
• Experience in funding, grant and proposal writing.
• Demonstrated ability to present and converse with senior leaders within Indigenous communities and with senior stakeholders.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the ability to persuade and influence individuals and groups with diverse needs and interests.
• Knowledge of an Indigenous language would be an asset.
• Knowledge of budget planning, development and management.
• Intercampus travel is required; possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of a Master’s degree, preferably in Indigenous studies, Indigenous education or a related field.
• Minimum of 10 years of related leadership experience, preferably in a public sector environment.
• Preferred 5 years of related community and Indigenous outreach experience, preferably in a post-secondary or public sector environment.
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.