Do you want to be part of our innovative and entrepreneurial team?
Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere? Are you an “outside the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements? Do you take a strategic approach to your work? Do you enjoy in a fast-paced culture where your opinions are valued and respected? Do you enjoy building partnerships to solve mutually beneficial challenges?
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit that helps industry and non-profit partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. At Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital research and business skills. In partnership with domestic and international companies, governments and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people.
To get a better understanding of Mitacs and read more about our values please visit our website
Business Development Director – Capilano University – North Vancouver
Full-Time Temporary Employment – One Year Contract (high likelihood of continuation)
This is not your ordinary sales job. Our business development team members are the bridge between academia and industry partners or organizations. They spot opportunities and take action on behalf of Mitacs. They are at the forefront of marketing Mitacs programs and are analogous to matchmakers, who find the common interests between companies and university researchers.
If you were to join Mitacs as the Business Development Director with Capilano University, we’d ask you to do the following:
- Work closely with members of Mitacs Business Development, Research, and Programs teams to deliver high‐quality programming
- Work closely with stakeholders at Capilano University to fully understand the needs of the faculty researchers and students, find industry opportunities and identify the best programs to leverage the research opportunities uncovered
- Create and maintain a network of partners/clients in industry and academia
- Introduce companies and not-for-profit organizations to various Mitacs programs
- Introduce companies to various university researchers
- Provide support to the Business Development Team as needed
- Provide business development support to all Mitacs programs as needed
- Provide business development and student engagement support to Capilano University.
- Assist in negotiating the necessary agreements to facilitate discussions and collaborations between Capilano University and industry partners
This sounds quite exciting and challenging, right? Let’s hope so, because if it does, there’s a good chance this job is right for you. Here’s what you will have already that will help you to handle these challenges:
- Recent Masters degree or PhD or an appropriate combination of studies and research experience
- Business development experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Enthusiastic and high‐energy self‐starter
- Team player
- Ability to think creatively and try new things
- Ability to work from the campus (North Vancouver) twice a week
- Desire to pursue a career outside of research and academia
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high performance culture
Special consideration will be given to applicants with an active social network with proven ability to promote participation and sponsorship in programs or initiatives in their community.
* Please note that this position is available only at Capilano University *
Mitacs has a COVID-19 policy in place that requires all employees to be fully vaccinated to protect our team and our stakeholders, subject to any accommodations required under applicable human rights legislation. Information about getting vaccinated can be found here.
At Mitacs we believe a diverse workforce comprised of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests and backgrounds which is crucial to our success. We encourage candidates to connect with us and share ways how we may accommodate your needs during the recruitment process.
Many more career opportunities at Mitacs can be found on BambooHR.