Chair, Distance and Online Learning
Centre for Online Learning and Micro-Credentials
JOB ID: J0122-0714
Classification: Full-time Administration
Pay Band: 12
Pay Range: $91,972 - $134,977 per year
Campus/Location: Progress (Remote until further notice)
Shift Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Posting Date: January 13th, 2022
Closing Date: February 3rd, 2022
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women, Racialized, Persons with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
The Chair, Distance and Online Learning reports to the Dean, Centre for Online Learning and Micro-Credentials and is accountable for the strategic direction of online learning and its offerings at Centennial College. In order to develop an annual business plan to support growth, efficacy and revenue generation in online learning, the Chair will conduct regular internal and external environmental analysis to ensure appropriateness of Centennial College’s online offering. In doing so, the Chair will foster connections and relationships with internal and external stakeholders (such as Program Advisory Committees, OntarioLearn, e-Campus Ontario) as well as cross functional representation. In the gathering of information and staying in tune with the perceptions and attitudes of stakeholders, competitors, business and industry, the Chair develops a community of practice expertise in online learning development at Centennial College.
- Accountable for providing academic and administrative leadership, supervision and direction to faculty, support staff and/or students
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, delivery and ongoing review of programs/courses (certificate, diploma, advanced diploma and/or bachelor’s degree)
- Develops and implements recruitment and retention strategies and promotional initiatives to meet student enrolment projections across the portfolio
- Develops an annual business plan to support growth, efficacy and revenue generation in online learning
- Fosters connections / relationships with internal / external stakeholders for intelligence gathering and reporting and represents Centennial College on cross functional team regarding online learning platforms and standards
- Collaborates with the Academic Schools, providing expertise and best practices in online offerings and platform determination.
- Gathers information to remain current with the perceptions and attitudes of stakeholders, competitors, business and industry in relation online learning
- Analyzes and produces reports and recommendations in the areas of online learning and Centre priorities
- Implements a service framework, reporting on areas for improvement for online learning that are evidence and/or data based
- Oversees the implementation and administration of Ministry, OntarioLearn and eCampus Ontario requirements
- Provides leadership in strategic initiatives, supported by evidence and obtains required resources to proceed with strategic initiatives
- Represents Centennial college on external Committees (i.e. OntarioLearn, eCampus Ontario)
- Provides consultancy services to Academic Schools related to online development, pedagogy and teaching / learning best practices
- Leads a team of Distance Learning staff, plans performance goals and work initiatives to ensure online learning directives are achieved
- Directs and administers the activities of the faculty in their teaching assignments and creates an effective working environment for the staff and the teaching/learning process; ensures that faculty and staff assignments are consistent with college policies and procedures and the collective agreements
- Conducts first level investigations and initiates the problem-solving process for disputes involving faculty, staff and students within the departments. Uses collective agreements, policies and procedures to assist in the dispute resolution and complaint processes
- Minimum four (4) year degree with a focus in one of the following disciplines: online adult learning, administration, business management, educational administration, organizational learning/development, educational leadership or a related field.
- Seven (7) years progressive experience in a similar leadership position within a post-secondary institution, including an established record of teaching excellence, curriculum development, adult learning theory, instructional design and training development principles and development of on-line training initiatives
- Excellent knowledge of on-line learning environments including Learning Management Systems in college programming in Ontario and ability to mentor on-line faculty
- Knowledge of OntarioLearn and eCampus Ontario preferred
- Demonstrated skills in research and scholarly activities
- Experience working in highly complex unionized environments
- Experience cultivating and maintaining effective relationships with business, industry, academic and government stakeholders and demonstrate exemplary professionalism at all times
- Demonstrated ability to critically interpret and analyze data, identify the key trends and findings, and present the results in innovative ways
- Strong leadership, project management, change management and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated people management skills including performance management, training, onboarding, etc.
- Proven ability to use collaborative approaches to resolve complex issues, especially when working in a unionized setting and across departmental or divisional boundaries.
- Strategic and business planning, and financial/budget management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by February 3rd, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0122-0714. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).