BCIT’s Academic Planning & Quality Assurance department/is seeking a regular, full-time Dean. Leads strategies to champion new academic direction and innovation to support Institute’s academic goals. Contributes as a key member of the Academic Leadership Team to advance BCIT’s academic recognition in the post-secondary sector. Collaborates extensively with internal and external stakeholders, acting as a key advisor on quality assurance of BCIT’s educational offerings. Provides leadership on strategic institutional initiatives to advance program planning, development and review in order to enhance the state of practice at the Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads strategies to champion new academic direction and innovation in support of Institute’s academic goals and research initiatives to continually advance BCIT’s position as an institution of higher learning. Assesses and recommends new programs for educational and operational areas and leads major strategic initiatives to advance academic recognition of BCIT in the post-secondary sector across Canada and other countries.
- Directs the delivery of program review, validation, and issue resolution. Oversees programming activities across all BCIT campuses and directs development of program proposals within established frameworks and policies. Ensures critical issues are addressed prior to approval processes and ensures implementation of changes to existing programs. Leads development of innovative models and frameworks for applied undergraduate and graduate programs which provides academic integrity within the context of the Institute’s mandate.
- Manages budget for program development, new initiatives, program reviews and related to Education Council. Works closely with service areas to ensure availability of systems and procedures for programs and towards adherence to established standards. Actively seeks out, promotes and capitalizes on niche markets for BCIT programs throughout the post-secondary system. Guides marketing and media relations on currency and accuracy in all program publications and promotions.
- Directs development, implementation and assessment of policies and procedures aimed at supporting academic program excellence. Interprets and advises on policies while guiding schools to align with the Institute’s academic direction.
- Promotes a culture of excellence, quality and integrity by leading assigned quality assurance processes at the program and institute level aimed towards high academic standards, financial viability, and industry relevance of all programs.
- Act as a representative on several boards and committees, system-level planning, relevance and currency of BCIT’s programs and quality assurance enquiries. Liaises with the Ministry and interprets guidelines for degree and graduate program development.
- Leads best practices research and analysis to position BCIT as a leader in programs and processes and as directed by BCIT’s executive management in support of new strategic institutional directions.
- Guides Learning and Teaching Centre personnel in the preparation of new program, major change proposals and program review reports to ensure adherence to standards, quality and provincial requirements.
- Manages directly and indirectly reporting staff, overseeing and participating in selection, coaching, mentoring, development, performance management and all other people-management practices.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Masters degree in education, Doctorate degree in the field of education, preferred.
- Minimum ten years’ post-secondary experience in academic planning, with at least five years experience in planning/quality assurance and curriculum development at course or program level.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Expert knowledge of academic/educational systems, standards and best practices (national and international), as they pertain to program and accreditation review, curriculum development, academic quality assurance and Ministry requirements and processes.
- Advanced leadership skills with ability to provide advice, direction and guidance to program teams, while influencing change and improvement with a strong ability to build and work with higher performing cross functional teams in carrying out major initiatives.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to interact with all levels of internal and external stakeholders, build relationships, establish rapport, influence outcomes, and resolve conflict.
- Advanced business acumen, political astuteness, diplomacy.
- Advanced project management, research and analytical skills, and ability to apply sound judgment in problem solving, evaluating courses of action, and making decisions on complex matters while safeguarding institutional reputation.
How to Apply
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.