Dean, Faculty of Science & Horticulture
As Canada’s only polytechnic university, we offer you the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community through a meaningful career working in a collaborative and inclusive culture. Join us and put your thoughts into action.
About Kwantlen Polytechnic University
At Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) we combine academic excellence with practical, hands-on and experiential learning opportunities that prepare our graduates for successful and rewarding careers, while also providing them with the critical understanding necessary for good citizenship.
We ensure that our graduates are prepared for a lifetime of learning and re-learning so they can adapt to the fast pace of change in the workplace and in society at large.
Located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, KPU offers a diverse range of credentials – including certificates, citations, diplomas and bachelor’s degrees – designed to successfully meet the evolving needs of regional and global employment markets. We offer work-integrated and service learning, connections to business and industry, and a supportive learning environment.
Our post-baccalaureate and graduate diplomas further enhance opportunities for working professionals to augment their knowledge and skills.
With programs in Arts, Business, Science and Horticulture, Health, Design, Trades and Technology, English language studies, adult upgrading and qualifying studies, KPU has proudly served the South Fraser Region of the Lower Mainland since 1981.
KPU has five campuses: three in Surrey, and one each in Richmond and Langley, with nearly 1,500 employees and over 20,000 students.
KPU is inviting applications for the Dean, Faculty of Science & Horticulture. This position will be a 5 year term with the option to renew for a second term.
The Faculty of Science and Horticulture (FSH) at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) offers a unique mix of traditional and applied undergraduate and apprenticeship programs, including upgrading courses representing the polytechnic mission of KPU. Programs offered on the Cloverdale, Langley, Richmond, and Surrey campuses include biology, health science, chemistry, environmental protection technology, mathematics, computer-aided design and drafting, physics, sustainable agriculture, horticulture, and brewing and brewery operations—the first program of its kind in British Columbia with a 4,000-square-foot lab that won Brewery of the Year for 2019.
Reporting to the Provost and Vice President Academic, the Dean, Faculty of Science & Horticulture (FSH) is responsible for the strategic leadership and ongoing operation of the Faculty of Science and Horticulture at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU). This includes long-term strategic planning, academic development, and the collaborative management of the Faculty’s financial, administrative, and human resources. The Dean plays a major role in encouraging relationships between KPU and the external community. The Dean also has a commitment to academic excellence, and to advance new programming opportunities, the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives, and the student learning experience. The Dean, FSH ensures that a culture exists within the administration and the faculty to provide students with a high-quality education and high-quality services so that the student experience at Kwantlen Polytechnic University is a positive one.
The Faculty of Science & Horticulture has a presence on all of KPU’s campuses as well as various field sites. The Dean’s office operates from our Langley campus, however intercampus travel is required. Due to the current pandemic, remote working is also required.
We’re proud of the benefits that we offer our employees. Total Rewards includes an attractive benefits plan, generous vacation entitlement and leave options, pension, tuition waiver, health and well-being opportunities, as well as professional development programs to support your career growth and talent development. Click here for more information.
Knowledge and Skills
Who are we looking for?
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction, support change management, analyze situations, and develop effective solutions.
- A record of academic achievement appropriate for a faculty appointment in one of the disciplines represented by the Faculty.
- Proven success in scholarship and teaching excellence.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the post-secondary organizational and policy environment and relevant experience in academic administration and academic labor relations.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, program planning, project management, budget development and oversight as well as academic organization and administration.
- Ability to advance the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives, and the student learning experience.
- Successful track record in working with others, either individually or in a team setting to accomplish goals, objectives, and desired outcomes through collaboration and negotiation.
- Demonstrated ability to build leadership capacity in the Faculty of Science and Horticulture by hiring, mentoring, and supporting others.
- Energetic leader that is value driven, demonstrates integrity, credibility, sound judgment, inclusivity, and fosters a trusting, supportive environment.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills applicable to operational and logistical tasks.
What education & experience should you have?
- A Ph.D. in a related discipline, or an earned doctoral or terminal degree in a related field, is required.
- Relevant leadership experience accompanied by a minimum of five years of faculty experience preferably within a university environment.
- Experience working in a large, complex organization and in a unionized academic environment.
- A broad understanding of higher education issues within post-secondary education.
How to Apply
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
Position will remain open until filled, but candidates will be reviewed on May 28, 2021. All applications must be submitted via the online Career Centre - email applications will not be considered.
For inquiries or recommendations related to this position, please contact:
Human Resources Business Partner