The Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences provides academic and strategic leadership to the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and is responsible for planning, developing, promoting and evaluating the effectiveness of the Faculty’s academic and continuing education programs. As a senior member of the Academic Division, the Dean also works closely with the Vice President, Academic and Provost to further the initiatives in the College’s Strategic Plan and with the Faculty to develop and implement initiatives in accordance with the Faculty’s Operational Plans.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of truth and reconciliation, and Indigenization within the post-secondary context.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership and management of the Faculty, including hiring, developing, supporting, evaluating and disciplining employees as appropriate.
- Tactical and operational plans for the Faculty in alignment with the College’s strategic plan and in accordance with the College governance requirements.
- Ongoing review and updating of existing curriculum as well as the planning, development and implementation of new curriculum.
- Budgeting, resource allocation, and the financial management of the Faculty consistent with College policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Interpretation and administration of College policies and procedures, including contractual obligations.
- Development, ongoing review and communication of faculty procedures.
- Development and maintenance of external relationships appropriate to the College’s operations and strategic initiatives.
- Providing input and leadership for both the College’s strategic plan and Academic Division initiatives arising from that plan.
- Coordination and communication of decisions and issues within the Faculty, other units of the College, Vice Presidents, and the external community.
- Ensuring the quality and integrity of programs and the College’s reputation in the related fields of study.
- Provision of professional development activities for the Faculty.
- Representing the Office of the Vice President, Academic and Provost, as requested.
- Established professional credibility as usually evidenced by a graduate degree in a relevant field (PhD preferred).
- A minimum of five years of experience in a range of senior or mid-level administrative positions in a post-secondary institution or other relevant organization.
- A minimum of five years teaching experience in the post-secondary level or an equivalent combination of formal and informal teaching and administrative experience.
- Qualified to Teach in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online by 4:30pm on February 10, 2023. We will begin reviewing applications on February 13, 2023. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to provide original educational credentials noted on their resume.