Find Your Spot at Humber
If you are interested in higher education and want to contribute to shaping the future of learning, here is your opportunity to join our team at Ontario’s largest Polytechnic College.
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of exciting possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence and, in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people. We learn and grow together. We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
Humber is a place like no other. Here you will “Find Your Spot” and build a career and future that grows as we grow. In this rich, diverse workplace, we encourage innovative ideas. We support you to find deep meaning and purpose so that you can be proud of what you do and where you work.
Dean, Innovative Learning
The Dean, Innovative Learning provides overall leadership and support to Humber’s Centre for Innovative Learning (CIL), a key area within one of Canada’s largest Polytechnics. Under the broad direction of the Senior Dean, Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences and Innovative Learning, the Dean IL works closely with the Dean Program Planning, Development and Renewal, the Dean Research and Innovation, and Humber’s Senior Academic Deans in the creation of a learning innovation ecosystem grounded in a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement. The Dean IL is responsible for bringing together a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in support of the teaching and learning goals within Humber’s Academic Plan.
To be successful in this role, the incumbent will:
- Leverage cross-departmental, cross-divisional, and cross-organizational leadership and expertise to ensure strategic alignment of programming and initiatives within the CIL to Humber’s Academic Plan;
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement in keeping with relevant Humber and external policies, guidelines, and standards;
- Provide professional development and related supports for Academic Leaders, Faculty, and all employees directly involved in the development, administration, and delivery of Humber Teaching & Learning activities;
- Create tools, supports, and relevant resources to foster opportunities and increase capacity for innovation in teaching and learning practice at Humber;
- Push the boundaries of Humber’s teaching and learning practice.
Through leading a team of Associate Deans and aligning cross-organizational leaders and stakeholders around common goals, the incumbent supports the ongoing assessment of changing academic needs and enables the successful development, management, administration and delivery of division and institutional level programs and services that support Humber’s strategic learning innovation goals, and the wellbeing of students, businesses and community partnerships. The Dean also collaborates with the academic Faculties and other departments and actively contributes to a very broad range of internal and external committees and working groups.
To be successful in this role, the incumbent will:
- Provide overall academic and administrative leadership for Humber’s Centre for Innovative Learning;
- Lead College-wide capacity building / professional development initiatives that foster overall excellence and innovation in teaching and learning practice, as well as a commitment to student-centered education;
- Work closely with the Academic Faculties and the Dean Continuous Professional Learning, and provide direct academic leadership for Continuous Professional Learning strategic objectives within the Academic Division through oversight of the Flexible Learning team;
- Lead the Digital Learning team in the development of a comprehensive and long-term strategy to expand Digital Learning opportunities and quality curriculum in alignment with the goals set out in Humber’s Academic Plan.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with exceptional drive, collaboration, relationship building, influencing, project management, and communication skills. The ideal candidate brings a curiosity for learning new things, a design thinking mindset, an entrepreneurial lens and a passion for improving team and organizational performance/operations. Having a background in leading and supporting initiatives in the areas of teaching and learning, curriculum design and development, professional learning and development, training, business and opportunity development, flexible learning, talent management, and change management would give the ideal candidate the edge.
Knowledge and Skills
The successful candidate will have a Master’s Degree in a related field (PhD is preferred).
The successful candidate will have 5-9 years of related experience. In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- Track record of success in a leadership role within a large, complex, multi-stakeholder academic organization;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence across a post-secondary organization;
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience at a College level and an understanding of the theories and best practices regarding student development at the post-secondary level;
- Awareness of the emerging needs of industry and community stakeholders and the role of polytechnic education in meeting those needs;
- Awareness of the latest trends in the area of Teaching and Learning, including developments in educational technology;
- Entrepreneurial spirit, combined with dynamic and innovative leadership skills;
- Demonstrated experience in needs assessment analysis, creative problem-solving, strategic planning, team development and the ability to secure cooperation of others;
- Highly developed skills/training in change management, operational management, budgeting, human resource management, marketing and promotion;
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, including presentation skills;
- Superior interpersonal skills, cross-cultural skills and related judgement;
- Experience in successfully implementing change within a complex organization;
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrated experience in the hiring, training, motivating and evaluating of unionized/non-unionized staff;
- Commitment to life-long learning and a willingness to explore new options/experiences.
- Highly developed skills/training in operational management, budgeting, human resource management, marketing and promotion;
- Superior interpersonal skills, cross-cultural skills and related judgment;
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, including presentation skills; and,
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective collective agreements.
Humber is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek qualified individuals from equity-seeking groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment. Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
How to Apply
Click here to apply.