Northwestern Polytechnic (formally GPRC) is Alberta’s newest polytechnic institution Our stewardship region includes campuses in Fairview and Grande Prairie. We offer a wide variety of credit and non-credit career certificates and diplomas, pre-employment and apprenticeship trades, university transfer studies, and several opportunities for on-campus degree completion through collaborations with four-year universities. GPRC (Northwestern Polytechnic) is dedicating itself to becoming the Northern Centre of Post-Secondary Excellence in Alberta. The college provides learners high quality and diverse lifelong learning opportunities, while responsibly managing its educational, fiscal, and environmental resources.
The Dean leads the School of Health and Education. The Departments within the School are located on our Grande Prairie campus with plans for program expansion to our Fairview campus. The School offers a variety of programming within Nursing Education and Health Studies, Physical Education and Kinesiology, Arts and Education and Human Services. Through this programming we offer a variety of certificates, diplomas, university transfer courses as well as two University of Alberta collaborative degrees. Delivered at Northwestern Polytechnic (formally GPRC) are the University of Alberta’s Bachelor of Education, Teacher Education North program and the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
The Dean is a senior leader in the Division of Academics and Research at Northwestern Polytechnic (formally GPRC). The Dean reports to the Vice-President, Academic, and Research and participates as a member of the Senior Leadership Team. The Dean contributes to the strategic leadership of the college as a whole and directly leads the departments and programs assigned. The Dean leads, supervises, and provides support and mentorship to chairs, faculty, and staff. The Dean is responsible for fiscal planning and accountability within their School.
The Dean leads the school’s faculty and staff to develop, adapt, and make use of innovative and effective approaches to teaching and learning in order to ensure excellent academic programming. Leadership and mentoring are also given to faculty supporting the college’s research ambitions.
The Dean works with the Vice-President, Academic and Research, in order to lead chairs and faculty and staff in articulating and implementing college goals. The Dean plays a significant role in ensuring the integration and implementation of plans that support the college direction and goals and may carry out other roles or projects as assigned by the Vice-President, Academic and Research. The Dean is responsible for providing strong leadership and vision in the articulation and implementation of the school’s strategic plan while maintaining alignment with the mission and vision of Northwestern Polytechnic (formally GPRC). Key duties are listed below.
Knowledge and Skills
- Certificate in Change Management, Leadership Training, and CAQC knowledge would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership position or academic appointments may be considered.
- Strong financial knowledge.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships across the organization.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, and accountability.
- Ability to work on both of our campuses each week and commute back and forth.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Planning and Leadership
The Dean will:
- Work closely with the Vice-President, Academic and Research (VPAR), in order to contribute to the development and implementation of the institution’s strategic plan and vision.
- Lead strategic planning across the School of Health and Education.
- Provide leadership and support to academic programs and departments, including guidance in relation to academic policies, procedures, and regulations.
- In consultation with the VPAR, oversee the organization and delivery of academic programming within their school.
- Coordinate and promote academic proposals, changes, reviews, and other academic matters with other deans, institutions, and stakeholders.
- Lead new program development.
- Contribute to college policy development.
- Contribute to the overall planning and direction of the college.
- Support and communicate college and divisional direction and vision.
- Provide leadership to specified committees, projects, and initiatives.
Development and Support
Subject to applicable college procedures, policies, and collective agreements, the Dean:
- Recommends approval of recruitment and workload assignments for faculty and staff to the VPAR.
- Evaluates faculty and staff.
- Makes continuing employment decisions for faculty and staff.
- Supervises, coaches, and mentors chairs and managers in their development as academic and support service leaders.
- Provides leadership and guidance to the chairs in their academic roles.
Internal and External Liaison
The Dean leads the school in ensuring effective communication, collaboration, and liaison with internal and external parties. The Dean will:
- Promote and guide effective communication between departments and college administration.
- Attend faculty and department meetings, and act as chair when appropriate.
- Model attitudes and behaviours consistent with the college vision, mission, and values.
- Act as, or designate, the contact person for consultation with relevant regulatory and professional associations as appropriate.
- Act as liaison with other post-secondary institutions, as well as the college representative on provincial postsecondary committees and applicable community organizations.
- Participate in community events and be an advocate for the college.
- Provide external reports or other pertinent information as required, in cooperation with External Relations.
In cooperation with the division of Finance and Administration, the Dean has budget development and oversight responsibilities for their school. Specifically, the Dean will:
- Develop and monitor annual budgets for academic programming in a manner that is both fiscally responsible and consistent with the stated academic objectives of the Northwestern Polytechnic’s strategic directions.
- Manage and monitor school budgets.
- Allocate and provide oversight of department budgets.
From time to time the overall priorities and needs of the college may shift or new responsibilities for the Dean may emerge. Accordingly, the Dean is responsible for:
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice-President, Academic and Research.
- Other duties specific to the area of responsibility as they arise.
The successful candidate will have a Doctorate completed, or near completion, is preferred, but a Master’s degree with related experience is required.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically via the GPRC website will be considered.
We review all applications to select candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs.
All applicants will be acknowledged via email. For general inquiries, please contact HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First review of applications will occur the week of February 14, 2022.
Thank you for applying to Northwestern Polytechnic (formally GPRC)!