October 28, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apply online at:
Hours per Week
Reporting to the Dean, Applied Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the Director, Applied Research provides effective operational leadership and supports the growth and strategic advancement of the applied research portfolio of the College. In support of the College’s Strategic Plan and Faculty Research Plans, the Director will play a leadership role in the effective and efficient identification, development, and securing of a strong pipeline of partnerships with industry and/or community partners for applied research projects and initiatives to take place in collaboration with Seneca.
Contract Dates: January 2020 - December 2020
Knowledge and Skills
- A minimum of nine (9) years’ work experience in applied research design and project management.
- Experience managing budgets and staff in a research services environment, ideally within a unionized workplace.
- Experience working with research grants, granting councils, agencies, and/or in a research/commercialization environment is an asset.
- Knowledge of IP policies.
- Strong negotiation skills to develop working relationships with business clients.
- Expertise in assessing needs of potential partners and capabilities of internal resources to effectively execute research projects.
- Excellent presentation, communication and human relation skills to interact effectively with Seneca’s multi-cultural student and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements appropriate strategies, activities, and documentation to foster business relationships with potential research project partners, innovation agencies, and research funders that comprise and/or serve the industry partner and innovation landscape.
- Builds strong relationships with Deans, Chairs, and faculty, in order to align industry needs with faculty expertise and Faculty research plans.
- Recommends new research projects or initiatives that will support the growth of a successful applied research enterprise at Seneca.
- Identifies and recommends funding sources for applied research projects and strategic initiatives.
- Leads or facilitates the development of funding applications and contributes to the writing of grant funding applications.
- Provides quality control and review of applied research funding submissions.
- Identifies and disseminates information regarding research opportunities and funding.
- Promotes the success of research initiatives both internally and externally to industry, the community, potential students, funders and government.
- Contributes to clear project reporting, tracking, management, and dissemination processes, practices, procedures, and mechanisms for applied research projects/programs.
- Negotiates research contracts, terms of agreements, and protects faculty, student and College IP rights.
- Identifies and makes recommendations to the Dean, ARIE, which will contribute to financial investment in Seneca, excellence in student learning and the Seneca’s reputation.
- Supports the development of communication and reports to federal and provincial government research funders, advocacy groups and others on the Seneca’s progress in applied research.
- Mentors and manages ARIE Research Managers/Coordinators, and provides functional guidance to ARIE team.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Science or related discipline. If education is related, please state how it is relevant.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online via Seneca's Careers Page.