The Forum for International Trade Training (FITT) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing international business training, resources and professional certification to individuals and businesses. Our international business training solutions are the standard of excellence for global trade professionals across Canada and around the world.
FITT Core Values
All FITT employees are expected to operate under the following core values:
- Collaboration: We build purposeful, professional, and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Quality: We strive for excellence in providing products/services that deliver premium value to our clients.
- Client Focus: We adapt to changing environments to maintain relevance for our clients.
- Diversity: We value, respect, and develop diverse talents and teams.
Overview of Position
FITT has an established reputation for providing a top-quality assessment-based certificate training program, FITTskills, offered through FITT’s online platform, and by post-secondary educational institutions. We are seeking a Director of Training and Education to take our offerings and services to the next level by 1) leading, managing, and designing FITTskills program/curriculum updates, custom curriculum development, online e-learning enhancements; and eventually taking on the responsibility of 2) leading and managing the delivery of our training programs including academic relations.
This position is suited to an individual who thrives in working in a small business environment requiring a combination of strategic thinking and a hands-on approach. As a small organization you will be involved in a variety of assignments; your work will be simultaneously independent and interdependent, including cross-functional team-based work, and at times will require you to take on tasks that may fall outside of your own job remit.
Accountabilities of this position are expected to evolve over the next 12 - 18 months to cover two key components of the unit: 1) development and 2) delivery. The initial priority of the Director is the development role: managing the educational curriculum strategy, requirements, technical content development, and the systematic updating processes of the FITTskills program. Building upon this it is expected that the Director will move towards leading and managing the training delivery functions of FITT, including academic relations with post-secondary educational partners, their students, and potential partners.
Currently there are no direct reports to the position, however, this is expected to change in that FITT is in the process of hiring an Instructional Designer who will report to the Director. The Director is expected to identify competencies required for a second hire, and further will be responsible for identifying, engaging, and managing outsourced services such as subject matter experts and other specialists input as required.
The right candidate is innovative; adaptable; has strong critical thinking and project management skills; driven to staying on top and ahead of trends; highly organized; detail focused; flexible; optimistic; and enjoys working on a variety of activities in a small, collaborative team environment.
While FITT has office space in Ottawa, ON, the candidate selected for this indeterminate position will be working entirely from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, but there will be an option in the future to work in the FITT Office.
- Upholding and improving upon FITT’s educational curriculum standards
- Quality assurance of the design and delivery of the FITTskills program and other training programs as required
- Relevance of the FITTskills program with a key focus on ensuring the curriculum and examinations meet the CITP international trade competencies requirements
- Eventual lead in the delivery of client services related to training initiatives, academic relations with educational partners and potential partners
Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years recent experience as a learning and development and/or publishing professional
- Minimum of 5 years of project and team management experience
- Knowledge and understanding of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects
- Ability to work at both a strategic and tactical level (hands-on) to achieve results
- Tech savvy and strong skills in systems such as Learning Management programs and Desktop Publishing
- High level of attention to detail, with an ability to produce high-quality work efficiently
- Exceptional project management skills: ability to prioritize, focus, lead, delegate, adapt
- Flexibility in managing a variety of tasks and coping with a demanding workload
- Experience with small / medium businesses and/or not-for-profit sector
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing personalized customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Fluency in English and French (preference will be given to bilingual candidates all else being equal)
- CITP, FITT Certificate or Diploma Holder
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, manage and implement the entire publication process, from concept design to final product, of the FITTskills program updates (includes curriculum, examinations, instructor and supporting resources), new training programs and knowledge-based resources (in English and French)
- Identify, manage and implement enhancements to the online training platform
- Manage the examination process and resulting educational credentials for FITTskills participants
- Work with clients to define training needs; and develop needs assessments and/or proposals for custom content/training projects
- Identify opportunities regarding learning solutions, training curricula design, technology, and instructional delivery options, and manage implementation thereof
- Identify, engage, and manage outsourced subject matter expert and vendor relationships to ensure outsourced work meets FITT needs and quality requirements
- Analyze and report on performance data to determine effectiveness of instructional systems, courses, materials, student learning, knowledge transfer and satisfaction
- Oversee and support efforts of the Content Advisory Panel
- Assist in the development of budgets, and monitor budget for the unit; initiate cost efficiencies, including the negotiation of contracts
- Ensure quality of work from all inputs by undertaking technical functions such as: editing, proofreading, assessment of quality, etc.
- Update and develop as required policies and procedures for training development activities; continuous review to identify areas for improvement and/or enhanced efficiencies and client experience
- Special projects and other duties as required
- (Eventual) Plan, manage and implement training delivery, educational partnership initiatives and academic relations
- Post-secondary degree and/or relevant experience and professional development
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org