COLLEGES AND INSTITUTES CANADA (CICan)
TITLE: DIRECTOR, STRATEGY, GOVERNANCE AND RESEARCH
SALARY SCALE: MANAGEMENT II
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT
DIVISION: CORPORATE SERVICES
PLEASE REFER TO COMPETITION NUMBER: 2019-13
Located in the heart of the nation’s capital, CICan is the voice of Canada’s publicly-supported colleges, institutes, cégeps and polytechnics, and an international leader in education for employment in over 25 countries. CICan’s members add over $190B to Canada’s economy annually and contribute to inclusive economic growth by working with industry and community partners to offer more than 10,000 programs to learners in urban, rural, remote, and northern communities.
CICan is an innovative, responsive and entrepreneurial learning organization that values diversity, accountability and transparency and supports the ongoing development of the country’s college and institute system and its people.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Reporting to the Vice-President, Corporate Services, the Director is responsible for leading the design and implementation of strategic and operational planning and reporting processes to support organizational effectiveness and meet CICan’s accountability obligations to the Board of Directors and members, including risk management. The Director is responsible for governance oversight, working closely with the Board of Directors and senior management. The Director is also responsible for leading the design and implementation of a corporate data management strategy that optimizes data to provide new insight that empower staff, members and stakeholders, positions CICan for new business opportunities, and demonstrates excellence in operations. The design and implementation of the data management strategy are aligned with the design and implementation of a client-relationship management software solution, of which the Director is responsible for business integration.
The Director will be required to play a highly visible role throughout the organization and to work closely with the President and CEO as well as the management team, supporting them individually and collectively in their areas of responsibilities.
The Director is a member of CICan’s management team and contributes to corporate planning, priority-setting, and policy discussions as well as to the achievement of the organization’s vision, mission and strategic objectives.
The Director is accountable for fulfilling performance objectives, including those related to improving the performance of the organization as a whole, based on agreed-upon annual work plans, and is required to submit regular reports on outputs, outcomes, issues, and lessons learned.
The Director is responsible for the management of a corporate planning and reporting system that is appropriate to the needs of CICan and contributes significantly to the success and effectiveness of the organization.
The Director is also responsible to support the management team in using and presenting data to support decision-making, as well as the development of advocacy positions and external communications.
The incumbent is expected to have excellent knowledge of approaches, tools and techniques related to strategic and operational planning, data management, research and governance.
The Director should have knowledge of risk management, performance measurement and reporting and project management.
The position also requires knowledge of change management, human resources management and financial management.
The position requires an excellent understanding of CICan and ideally the Canadian postsecondary education system.
The Director provides organization-wide leadership and must be able to effectively manage collaborative, cross-functional teams.
Planning and Risk Management
- Directs the development and implementation of tools and processes to support the achievement of annual plans and priorities (including performance measurement) and manage risks for the entire organization.
- Directs the development and implementation of tools and processes (including performance measurement) for the achievement of CICan’s five-year Strategic Plan
- Undertakes the development of a five-year strategic plan (every five years)
- Directs the development and implementation of CICan’s Data Management Strategy, including information management policies, procedures and processes
- Oversees CICan’s continued compliance with ISO 9001:2015, including policies, procedures and processes
- Leads the development and implementation of business processes and procedures related to the adoption, use and continuous improvement of a client relationship management system
- Monitors and acts on trends and changes in the external environment to ensure that the strategic direction and decisions of the organization remain appropriate.
- Builds and maintains relationships with members and external organizations (e.g., other postsecondary institutions, government, and not-for-profit and for-profit sectors) to facilitate the exchange of knowledge, data and best practices.
- Provides facts and figures in support of CICan’s members priority areas and advocacy efforts.
- Oversees the Board of Directors Secretariat, including Board Committees and Annual General Meeting of members (AGM)
- Oversees the internal governance structure (committee compositions, terms of reference, reviews, etc.)
- Provide advice and support on all governance-related matters, including interpretation of the By-Laws
- Directs the work and manages performance of direct reports as well as any consultants, students or staff from other divisions assigned to work on specific projects, as appropriate
The Director will perform other related duties as may from time to time be assigned.
Education/ Language requirement:
- Graduate from a post-secondary institution or equivalent, ideally with at least five years of relevant experience
- Fluent in written and verbal English and French.
- Experience in implementing strategic and operational planning and reporting systems, including risk management
- Extensive experience in developing and implementing information management policies, procedures and processes
- Extensive experience in leading organization-wide change initiatives and cross-functional teams
- Excellent knowledge of project management approaches, tools and processes.
- Knowledge of Canada’s post-secondary education system and the role and characteristics of colleges and institutes
- Agility: stays poised when encountering resistance to change, addressing them in a constructive manner
- Inspiring others: communicates a long-term vision that resonates among teams
- Integrity: implements standards and safeguards to protect the organization’s integrity
- Team leadership: uses individual and group goal setting to maximize performance
- Decision making: takes crucial details into consideration while maintaining a strategic perspective
- Impact and influence: builds coalitions of partners to support change initiatives
- Leading change: assesses the climate on a regular basis, adjusting the pace of change for maximum success
- Experience working in a college/institute and/or the post-secondary sector.
- Motivates staff and partners to be creative, innovative, improve processes, fill gaps and find solutions with the goal of maximizing the positive impact on the organization’s success and effectiveness.
- Establishes and sustains strong working relationships with management staff at all levels of the organization and in particular management colleagues with functional responsibility for areas involved in planning and data management (including Manager, HR, Manager IT, Special Assistant Governance and External Relations).
- The Director requires strong skills in analysis and problem-solving and written and oral communication, as well as exceptional interpersonal skills, diplomacy and the ability to influence others.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Strategic thinking and visionary.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, networking, negotiating, presentation and influencing skills to build consensus preferably in membership-based organizations.
- Extensive experience in work planning, budget development and control.
- Demonstrated leadership capability and effective staff management experience, including strong team-building and conflict-resolution abilities.
- Extensive experience in managing in a matrix / team environment.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Roxanne Cantin, Senior Personnel Officer before 4pm on August 2nd, 2019 via email to: email@example.com.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact me if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
We thank all applicants in advance however only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
We will make every reasonable effort to accommodate prospective candidates under any of the protected grounds of discrimination. Should you need an accommodation, please make the request as soon as possible. If the accommodation is related to a medical or health condition, you may be required to provide confirmation from a medical professional that you require the accommodation. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.