Reporting to the Dean of Students, the incumbent is responsible for leading Student Success which includes strategic guidance and oversight to the Student Success Advisor team and provides leadership for providing programs and services that increase student retention, persistence and completion. The incumbent is responsible for Student Leadership and Governance across all campuses. This position is also responsible for providing leadership on first year experience, transition and orientation services college wide. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
Knowledge and Skills
- Successfully completed a Masters Degree in a relevant field of study that may include, but is not limited to Leadership, Business Administration, Social Enterprise, Community Development, Student Services, or Education/Educational Leadership.
- A minimum of nine years’ experience in positions of progressive levels of responsibility with demonstrated and relevant managerial experience, preferably in a post-secondary environment.
- Demonstrated experience in developing partnerships on a local, provincial or national level
- Ability to work with others and establish rapport and credibility
- Demonstrated ability to research and generate new ideas, and identify the need for unique or modified approaches to achieve results
- Strong foundation of student development theory and practice
- Demonstrated experience in developing student life programming in areas such as sexual violence, peer mentoring, first-year transitions etc
- Experience developing and leading retention initiatives.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to develop business cases and proposals
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills in order to build and cultivate relationships and negotiate contracts
- Ability to address and resolve problems or conflicts with diplomacy and tact
- Project management experience with demonstrated analytical and organizational skills to be able to manage multiple projects in an effective and timely manner
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
Duties and Responsibilities
Student Success Advising
- Leading and managing the provision of ‘direct service’ advising students emphasizing proactive and responsive advising across the student lifecycle.
- Ensuring student support during academic transitions, social integration and academic engagement.
- Accountability for maintaining advising team currency of knowledge, practices and resources in the academic areas, academic procedures, college services and retention and advising strategies.
- Responsible for working in collaboration with Academic leaders to integrate advising services which enhance student academic service delivery experience.
Student Leadership and Governance:
- Providing oversight to operational leader on strategic advising to GCSA and student leaders college wide
- Ensuring that a diverse program of student leadership and club/association services are offered at all campuses to meet changing student needs
- Ensuring service consistency and student interests for services are represented in coordinated events
- Facilitating, reviewing trends and addressing escalated student concerns which may arise from Student Executive Council events and meetings
- Providing guidance and controls for financial matters and expenditures for both operating budgets and capital projects
- Collaborating with college departments and provides mentoring and guidance to manager’s and academic areas to ensure GCSA accomplishes its goals and objectives that require college partners
First Year Experience and Transition Programs:
- Enhancing student success and retention through the design, development and implementation of comprehensive Orientation and Transition programs for first year students
- Based on student development theory, working with operational leader to design and implement co-curricular experiences and learning opportunities for students and oversees the co-curricular record system to support student engagement
- Directing the design and implements mentoring programs for students to support peer inclusion with a focus on first year transition and support
- Overseeing the design and delivery of parent orientation and student success workshops
- Overseeing the development and implementation of web tools, social media approaches and other technological solutions to support student transition and engagement
- Overseeing housing services and supports for all campuses
- Ensuring student housing plan is developed and updated on an annual basis to meet the needs of a diverse student population
- Collaborating with local communities on student housing issues
- Collaborating with external housing providers to ensure adequate student housing options
- Responsible for the research, development and assessment of student success strategies and activities
- Responsible for the implementation and ongoing implementation and development of EAB Navigate for improving student retention.
- Responsible for the tracking and analysis of student retention data
Human Resources and Fiscal Responsibility
- Overseeing various departmental budgets with appropriate fiscal accountability
- Providing budgetary guidance and oversight on GCSA budgets and relevant ancillary fees.
- Providing leadership to GCSA on the annual ancillary fee development and approval process
- Effectively managing resources and identifies opportunities for efficiencies
- Responsible for the hiring and performance of direct reports
- Developing and providing professional development to direct reports through regular coaching, career planning and proactive performance management
- Managing financial resources, and ensures that staff perform their assigned duties consistently with College procedures and Collective Agreements
- Maintaining high levels of staff performance through effective recruiting, selecting, training, developing, motivating and evaluating staff
- Leading and advising staff in the development and implementation of procedures/policies and initiates systems and the development of services to support successful delivery of transition programs
Community and strategic partnerships
- Building and nurturing critical relationships in the community
- Collaborating with sector experts and community organizations to promote a healthy and sustainable social entrepreneurship ecosystem
- Promoting authentic community partnerships to increase the number of co-curricular experiences for students
- Maintaining strong relationships with college departments, academic program areas, and academic leadership team (ALT) to support student transition, development, engagement, and retention initiatives
- Educating the broader college on student development, co-curricular learning and transition issues
- Developing and nurtures external partnerships as appropriate to support student co-curricular learning opportunities, student housing resources and GCSA goals and objectives
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Us and then to Career opportunities.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 p.m. on February 6, 2023. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to persons of Indigenous ancestry, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. If you are contacted to participate in the interview, please advise the coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.