Reporting to the Vice-President, Government and Stakeholder Partnerships, the Executive Assistant is responsible for providing effective and efficient office management, administrative and project support to the Vice-President and to the broader Division. The Executive Assistant is responsible for the administration and coordination of the daily workflow associated with the Office of the Vice-President and assists the Vice-President and Division in achieving objectives.
The Executive Assistant will be assigned various complex tasks in order to support the current activities of the Division.
The Executive Assistant acts as coordinator and secretary for various committees and working groups and is required to arrange logistics, prepare and distribute agendas and minutes, ensure that decisions are followed up on in a timely fashion, and that issues are brought to the attention of the Vice-President. A component of this function is the collaboration with the Office of the President and the other Divisions to ensure effective and efficient information flow.
The Executive Assistant has access to sensitive information and must ensure a high degree of confidentiality, integrity, and loyalty. The position of Executive Assistant is excluded from the bargaining unit.
Knowledge and Skills
- bilingual - fluent in both written and verbal English and French;
- experience in financial and accounting processes particularly as they apply to the ability to review and revise budgets;
- experience dealing with senior representatives from government and other organizations;
- excellent skills and knowledge of office administration systems and procedures;
- strong project management skills;
- capacity to work under pressure with attention to detail.
- good knowledge of information management principles and demonstrated technical abilities with information systems;
- excellent research skills and the ability to write at a professional level;
- demonstrated ability to use the Microsoft Office suite (Teams, Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) and CRM tools.
Planning and Organizing
We craft and follow plans using logical procedures to determine priorities and assess the actions, time, and resources needed to achieve goals.
- Identifies varied resources needed (e.g., different types of expenditures; different skill mixes).
- Produces realistic and achievable work plans.
- Develops back-up plans or mitigation strategies to handle obstacles.
- Makes needed adjustments to timelines, steps, and resource allocation.
- Plans the accomplishment of next steps.
We analyze and synthesize various types of information logically to understand situations, break down issues, identify options, and support sound decision-making.
- Analyzes complex situations and tasks, breaking each into its constituent parts.
- Evaluates alternative causes or ways of interpreting complex information.
- Identifies connections between situations that are not obviously related.
- Anticipates obstacles in considering next steps.
Attention to Detail
We work in a conscientious manner to ensure accuracy and thoroughness, paying close attention to information to organize tasks and deliverables efficiently.
- Verifies assumptions and information to organize and ensure quality work
- Ensures sound planning via accurate details and complete process
- Reviews all relevant information or aspects of a situation before taking action or making a decision.
Agility: We thrive in a complex environment that requires nimbleness and adaptability, and we anticipate and respond to changes with quick and resourceful actions.
Inspiring others: We motivate individuals to strive for excellence and commit to common goals and purposes, as we create a sense of self-efficacy, resilience, and persistence in others.
Integrity: We treat others fairly and respectfully, and we further the standing of the organization and its relationships of trust with our members and other stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- knowledge of the Canadian post-secondary system, Colleges and Institutes Canada's members, and the mission, objectives, programs, services and structure of CICan;
- organize work effectively, prioritizing competing demands;
- function with flexibility and autonomy;
- willingness to work beyond a typical workday to ensure the achievement of tasks when necessary;
- sound tact and diplomacy;
- support effective communication within the Division and between the Division and CICan members;
- treat everyone fairly and equitably and maintain high ethical standards;
- perform duties in accordance with Colleges and Institutes Canada’s values and code of ethics;
- be available for occasional domestic travel.
Specific Expectations: The Executive Assistant will:
- manage the Vice-President’s schedule to maximize the efficient and effective use of time;
- maintain an up-to-date calendar of internal and external events, meetings and deadlines and ensure that related requirements are brought to the attention of the Vice-President and their management team;
- plan, coordinate and support a wide variety of single and multi-day events, workshops and meetings with internal staff and/or external officials;
- prepare meeting documentation, conducting research and gathering information that supports meeting objectives;
- take notes at meetings, prepare minutes and maintain system to ensure follow-up on action items;
- develop and maintain a network of collaborative internal and external relationships to support effective operations of the division;
- communicate on behalf of the Vice-President with senior officials in government, member institutions, partners and external agencies;
- review complex written material to make recommendations regarding prioritization and required action;
- review and format written material prepared by others to ensure accuracy, completeness and a professional look and feel;
- support the VP in meeting responsibilities related to divisional planning, project management, finance, HR and contract activities (including ISO);
- liaise with the Office of the President and other senior managers to ensure the smooth flow of documents to the Board and management committees and timely follow-up on action items;
- design and maintain systems to ensure availability of and access to the division’s information holdings;
- coordinate travel arrangements; process expense claims and registrations related to meetings, conferences, etc.;
- coordinate and organize regular meetings for divisional staff.
- maintain contacts through CICan customer relations management (CRM) system,
- assist with CICan quality assurance ISO process for official document internal review and signature processes;
- assist the Vice-President in ensuring the review and correction of the monthly Financial Statements of the Division by the responsible staff members;
- perform other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Graduation from a post-secondary institution or equivalent and a minimum of five years of administrative and event planning experience.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé before May 13, 2021.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact 613-842-5827 if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
CICan provides accommodations during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Employees who are full-time internal candidates, as defined by the Collective Agreement, will be given first consideration. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.