Okanagan College transforms lives and communities. We are one of Canada's leading colleges. We create outstanding educational experiences for our learners, both students and employees. We work and learn in a welcoming and caring culture. We are a catalyst for change through collaboration with our learners and partners. We serve, lead and anticipate the social, economic and environmental needs of communities.
Arts and Foundational Programs
Portfolio Dean's Office (P1)
The Executive Assistant is one of 6 non-teaching positions reporting to the Dean, Arts & Foundational Programs (AFP). There are 15 Department Chairpersons and associated faculty and instructional members (approximately 140 continuing/regular plus variable numbers of term/non-regular) reporting to the Dean. AFP programming is across 4 campuses (Kelowna, Salmon Arm, Vernon, Penticton) and 1 Centre (Revelstoke).
The Executive Assistant manages a complement of 2 clerical support positions, and provides a range of confidential management assistance and support services to the Dean and Associate Deans. The Executive Assistant also provides first-line human resources management advice to the Dean and assistance in staffing, workload allocation and tracking against budget, and labour relations issues in the Dean’s management of the teaching and non-teaching staff that report to him under the umbrella of 3 distinct bargaining units. The Executive Assistant also provides senior-level administrative assistance to the Dean in non-human resources management areas and is a member of the Portfolio’s Management Team.
Education and Experience:
Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent plus at least two years post-secondary education or training in Office Administration (education in an area related to Arts & Foundational programs is advantageous). Training in supervisory skills and conflict resolution. A minimum of four years of relevant work experience including experience in a supervisory role.
Functions and Duties:
Clerical Staff Management:
1. Manages the process of selection for clerical staff reporting to the Dean, including chairing selection committees, establishing selection criteria, interview questions and assessment tools, completing the appointment recommendation for the review of Human Resources;
2. Provides guidance and advice to the clerical staff, where required;
3. Handles problems and inquiries from clerical staff concerning daily routine and office procedures;
4. Organizes and allocates work duties among clerical staff to ensure that administrative and instructional support functions are fulfilled;
5. Develops and supervises office routines and procedures;
6. Ensures the accuracy of timesheets, absentee reports, vacation requests and other similar material for clerical staff;
7. Conducts performance evaluations of clerical staff, including drafting of performance plans, ongoing training needs, implementation of corrective measures as required, recommends discipline where required;
8. Addresses and resolves day to day problems in clerical functions in the Dean’s offices;
9. Supervises placement testing when required.
Administrative Assistance to the Dean’s Office:
1. Oversees processing of routine mail -- opening, prioritizing, and sorting mail addressed to the Dean or Dean’s Office;
2. Assists the Dean with day-to-day management of email, prioritizing email-based requests to the Dean and recommending a process and timeline for response;
3. Establishes and monitors the Calendar of Appointments for the Dean;
4. Makes travel arrangements for the Dean and Associate Dean as requested;
5. Prepares correspondence and reports by word processing and composes routine letters, memos and email messages;
6. Prepares agendas and minutes for the meetings of AFP Chairs and other meetings as directed by the Dean;
7. Maintains a filing and record system and a bring-forward system;
8. Maintains and oversees administration files and research files;
9. Answers telephone inquiries from the general public and all calls directed to the Dean’s Office;
10. Approves Facilities and IT work requests and tracks Portfolio assets;
11. Advises the Dean on clerical staff requirements and arranging for hiring of temporary clerical staff;
12. Ensures that all office supplies are ordered and available either directly or through supervision and in coordination with other departments or areas;
13. Advises the Dean on equipment purchases and on maintenance and furnishing requirements for the AFP Portfolio.
Portfolio Human Resources Assistance:
1. Coordinates faculty, instructor and staff recruitment, including assisting with the preparation of postings, advertisements and the formation and operation of selection committees;
2. Ensures employment related inquiries are responded to, including relaying such inquires to the appropriate department or area;
3. Sits on clerical staff selection committees as designated by the Dean;
4. Supports AFP selection committees and confirms adherence to relevant collective agreements;
5. Checks references for new clerical staff hires, and oversees faculty/instructor initiated reference checks to ensure completion according to OC standards and timelines;
6. Prepares salary placements for Faculty and Vocational Instructors;
7. Prepares appointment recommendations and staffing action forms for all employees in the 3 bargaining units reporting to the Dean;
8. Ensures appropriate employment forms and records are forwarded to Human Resources in a timely fashion;
9. Assists with orientation of new employees;
10. Provides information to clerical staff, faculty and instructors on the processes in the collective agreements necessary for the completion of their duties;
11. Provides first line of contact for students who seek Dean intervention on issues/conflicts with faculty and instructional staff;
12. Tracks and manages leaves supervised by the Dean, including vacation leaves, sick leaves, professional development leaves, requests for leave-without-pay, and other leave requests pursuant to relevant collective agreements, by ensuring the timely completion and maintenance of records;
13. Monitors unapproved absences (attendance management) and reports any problems, patterns or anomalies to the Dean;
14. Maintains confidential materials pertaining to students and AFP employees;
15. Oversees the process of regular evaluations of faculty and instructional staff in accordance with collective agreements;
16. Prepares correspondence and maintains files related to grievance, disciplinary actions and confidential staffing issues as directed by the Dean.
1. Maintains currency in OC policies and ensures updated versions of policy are readily available to AFP Office staff;
2. Receives and refers student complaints about OC personnel as they relate to the Portfolio;
3. Receives and resolves where possible issues related to exam conflicts;
4. Receives, reviews and forwards student forms (such as course waivers, transfer credit requests, requests for standing deferred grades; requests for aegrotat standing);
5. Prepared correspondence from the Dean related to student issues (such as grade appeals, cheating and plagiarism);
6. Participates in briefings on current and emerging student issues in order to be appropriately and effectively engaged in the issues.
Portfolio Management Team:
1. Assists the Dean with budget preparation by gathering and assembling information and reports from Chairpersons, Coordinators and Managers;
2. Assists the Dean with budget management throughout the fiscal year, tracking expenditures and revenue to identify issues as relevant;
3. Assembles reports from Leadership, Deans Forum and other management committees for review by the Dean as needed for the performance of dean’s duties;
4. Assembles and files reports and minutes from the College Board and Educational Council;
5. Assists the Dean in providing liaison between the Dean's office and other Faculties, Departments and Campuses with respect to all matters pertaining to the operation of Arts & Foundational programs;
6. Assists the Dean in overseeing semester timetabling and final exam scheduling;
7. Regularly meets with the Dean and Associate Deans to review issues within the portfolio;
8. Acts as secretary to Professional Development Committees (Faculty and Vocational) by arranging a calendar of regular meetings, typing and distributing agendas, preparing minutes and related financial reports, tracking staff eligibility for funding, processing related expense claims and follow up activity reports, and preparing reports for review by the Dean in the submission to the Vice-President Academic.
Performs other related duties as required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven project management skills and excellent organizational, as well as, budgeting and financial management skills
- Team player with an aptitude for working in a collegial and collaborative environment
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with internal and external contacts
- Must be flexible and able to manage high work volume and conflicting priorities in order to meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and creative problem solver
- Ability to plan and think strategically
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency using Microsoft Office, and complex databases, as well as the ability to generate and analyze reports.
The Arts and Foundational Programs Dean's Office is seeking a full-time continuing Executive Assistant.
Exempt - Continuing Full-time
Appointment Start Date:
Monday to Friday, schedule TBD (typically 8:30am-4:30pm)
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate:
Range $49,880 to $66,507. Typical Hiring Range $59,857 to $66,507.
Posting Opening Date:
Posting Closing Date: