Indigenous Innovation Partnership Officer
Full-Time Temporary Employment – One Year Contract
The mandate of this position is to increase Indigenous-led research projects and to facilitate collaborations as well as funding and training support for those activities. This position will support Indigenous Works (IW) and its Luminary initiative as well as Indigenous Initiates led by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).
This position will support the development of “Luminary: Advancing Indigenous Innovation for Economic Transformation, Employment and Wellbeing” in the design of a strategy and plan to support the research collaborations with NSERC, research agencies, academia and Indigenous business and economic community organizations.
Indigenous Works - Luminary
Indigenous Works launched Luminary to enhance the Indigenous research and innovation ecosystem with the goal of achieving economic transformation, employment and wellbeing. Luminary will advance the Indigenous research and innovation ecosystem by improving cooperation and collaboration among Indigenous Businesses and Communities, University and College Researchers and Research Agencies.
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) is the federal research funding agency mandated to promote and support postsecondary-based research and training in the natural sciences and engineering.
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada funds visionaries, explorers and innovators who are searching for the scientific and technical breakthroughs that will benefit our country. We are Canada’s largest supporter of discovery and innovation. We work with universities, colleges, businesses and not-for-profits to remove barriers, develop opportunities, and attract new expertise to make Canada’s research community thrive. We give Canadian scientists and engineers the means to go further because we believe in research without borders and beyond frontiers.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in Indigenous engagement and knowledge of the Indigenous research ecosystem;
- Experience working with and/or in an Indigenous organization;
- Experience in writing; policy, strategy, business or science related material;
- Experience doing outreach with Indigenous communities; and
- Ability to liaise and work with Indigenous stakeholders, government agencies and department representatives, researchers, partner representatives and officials from post-secondary organizations.
- Experience in working in research or a research collaboration;
- Experience with the natural sciences and engineering research communities;
- Broad experience in promotions, marketing, communications environments; and
- Understanding of research policies and strategies.
- Familiarity with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Reports and the Setting new directions to support Indigenous research and research training in Canada 2019 – 2022 Strategic Plan; and
- An understanding of STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics disciplines) from Indigenous and non-Indigenous perspectives.
- Knowledge of the mandate, structure and roles of Indigenous Works and NSERC including policies, programs and procedures;
- Knowledge of the research and innovation ecosystem in Canada;
- Knowledge of research promotion, outreach, communications techniques, trends and processes;
- Knowledge of the academic environment and the research community in natural sciences and engineering; and
- Knowledge of the dynamics of university: industry, not for profit organizations, government departments and agencies and municipalities collaborative research.
- Solid communication skills; oral, written and presentation skills;
- Ability to gather, understand, analyze and make recommendations based on gathered intelligence to facilitate engagement of Indigenous stakeholders, develop opportunities to support Indigenous researchers and Indigenous research;
- Ability to think strategically and analytically;
- Ability to independently plan, organize, execute and manage several complex projects at one time;
- Ability to understand and synthesize information and write briefing notes and summary reports;
- Strong digital literacy skills; and
- Ability to work independently in a virtual home office.
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail; and
Conditions of Employment
- Security Clearance: Reliability Status;
- Required to meet with stakeholders in person and via electronic platforms; and
- Willingness to occasionally work overtime on weekends and/or evenings.
Duties and Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identify current levels of awareness and collaboration among Indigenous stakeholders and researchers;
- Engage Indigenous Stakeholders to grow awareness, improve understanding and identify opportunities for Indigenous-led research projects and collaborations;
- Facilitate dialogue and relationships between and among Indigenous communities, businesses, researchers as well as other stakeholders, and encourage their engagements with post-secondary researchers and research institutions;
- Identify potential Indigenous-led research projects and collaborations for funding and other support by NSERC;
- Contribute to the support and design of NSERC’s and Luminary’s Indigenous strategies and programs;
- Make recommendations to remedy systems, barriers and other obstacles which are impeding the effective performance and outcomes of the Indigenous research and innovation ecosystem; and
- Consult and work closely with members of Indigenous Works team and the NSERC Research Partnerships team.
Post-secondary diploma/degree in a field related to natural sciences and engineering research or an acceptable combination of education, experience and/or training relevant to the position.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply is Monday, September 20, 2021 at midnight Eastern time.
Please email your cover letter addressed to Kelly Lendsay, President & CEO, Indigenous Works along with your application to Indigenous Works, c/o Micheline Bélanger email@example.com. In your application, your resume must fully demonstrate that you have all of the required qualifications and any applicable desirable assets, attributes and experience you choose to share with us.