Reporting to the Director, Strategic Partnerships, the Manager, Business Development oversees growth opportunities for both existing and new markets.
The Manager responds to RFP's, tenders, and develops sales in new sales territories. The Manager will develop and effectively manage a strong team of individuals at various levels who can help them to analyze information, identify opportunities for growth, and seize those opportunities, whether it’s cultivating relationships with new clients and investors or expanding operations in existing fields.
Knowledge and Skills
- 7 to 10 years of related experience in the field of business development or sales, preferably in an educational setting.
- Well- developed strategic planning, business and financial management skills.
- Superior knowledge and experience implementing sales strategies.
- Proven ability to build relationships and collaborate in a highly complex environment
- Ability to successfully close sales leads generated from client interactions.
- Ability to lead negotiations while managing the scope and client expectations.
- Ability to travel
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Proven ability to use data for analytical purposes, and provide oversight on IT systems required to effectively implement sales strategies and manage relationships.
- Project management experience and skills.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully developing and managing budgets.
- Possesses superior leadership and people management skills.
- Strong organizational skills and a high degree of self-motivation.
- Advanced interpersonal and relationship building capabilities, including the ability to foster team work and collaborative working relationships; facilitation and mediation skills; and the ability to influence and build consensus among diverse groups and individuals.
- Proven capacity to manage change.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Creativity and analytical ability.
- Ability to develop internal and external partnerships.
- Working knowledge of computer applications (specifically, MS Office and EXCEL).
- Ability to influence.
- Visionary, strategic planner
Duties and Responsibilities
Develops and Sustains Relationships / Business Development
- Initiates and develops business-to-business relationships and contacts at a senior level, creating and executing strategies, planning and managing complex prospects, responding innovatively to ambiguity and thinking laterally to achieve the best outcome.
- Responsible for leading business development activities to ensure revenue growth targets are met and exceeded.
- Strategizes on the direction and shape of new business training and work with the Deans and Directors, and Marketing and Comunications on the sales strategies, structure and processes for the effective growth of non-government revenue.
- Engages in all apsects of fulfilling the client value proposition which includes, meeting with clients, promoting training and services, introducing and closing projects as necessary.
- Grows and enhances BVC’s value proposition with business and community.
- Develops and implements strategy to maximize sales and revenue opportunities.
- Establishes collaborative relations with external organizations including economic development entities, financial institutions, governmental agencies and community organizations.
- Responsible for developing and implementing marketing plans to achieve overall increases in revenue.
- Develops new partnerships that enhance revenue and broaden program opportunities.
- Ensure that Business Development, as a revenue-generating operation, generates enough revenue through its activities to sustain its operations as well as provide a revenue stream back to the College
- Manage external partnerships with industry, government, non-governmental organizations, and academia, including collaborative agreements and tracking outcomes
- Target and cultivate new opportunities for collaboration and partnership across industry, government, non-governmental organizations, and academia
- Lead the development and/or response to major funding proposals
- Deliver presentations to government, industry and other external partners
- Accountable for effective due-diligence processes, management of returns, securing and communicating with limited partners, and assuring that all activities proceed with fiduciary excellence
- Represents Bow Valley College to national and international educational institutions, community organizations, campus partners and other stakeholders; provides persuasive advice, guidance and compelling presentations to promote Bow Valley College’s prowess with respect to innovation and the translation of ideas and research into businesses and products
- Develops and measures performance indicators that inform decision making, including assessments that may be qualitative. Translates metric and qualitative data into strategic directions used to influence future products and/or services
- Conduct or direct research and data analysis that helps inform College practices and directions in online learning / product delivery
- Develops the sales strategy and business plan for the market to ensure attainment of College goals.
- Monitors current sales strategies to assess the effectiveness and make adjustments as necessary
- Develops and implements strategy to maximize sales and revenue opportunities.
- Prepares financial and operating reports as required.
- Plans and implements marketing strategies for client outreach, training activities, and, promotion of programs.
- Provides insight and guidance on the cost structure to ensure margins are maintained while at the same time ensuring the price mix is comptetitive to market conditions
- Works with Deans and Directors to ensure appropriate distribution and monitoring of expenses and costs across departments as needed
- Cold-calling potential customers, prospecting for accounts, and generating and following leads
- Generating new sales
- Closing contracts and extending accounts
- Teaching clients about all relevant goods and/or services
- Developing effective solutions to customer problems
- Keeping organized records and tracking progress toward business goals and quotas using automation tools
- Identifying and contacting potential clients through networking and marketing methods
- Developing new sales areas and markets
- Planning and directing marketing or advertising campaigns
- Collaborating with sales departments and other teams to meet targets
- Creating sales presentations for potential clients
- Developing contracts
- Exercises overall managerial direction of the area of responsibility with available resources for the purpose of delivering high-quality service to the College Leadership Team that advances the College’s strategic goals.
- Provides overall direct supervision to the Business Development team.
- Recruits and hires staff to meet the changing needs of the departments.
- Writes and reviews job descriptions, recruitment action forms.
- Reviews postings and interview scripts.
- Shortlists candidates, establishes interviews panels.
- Evaluates candidates and selects candidate to be hired.
- Responsible supervision, evaluation, scheduling, disciplining, performance management and motivation of direct staff to ensure optimal service is maintained.
- Providing direction and feedback for employee’s work.
- Performance appraisals on direct reports.
- Identifies and takes corrective action on performance issues.
- Coaching staff, including first-level performance management conversations, on performance issues.
- Escalating and discussing performance and discipline concerns with their direct manager when the issues move beyond first-level performance management.
- Approves and monitors vacation and other applicable absence requests and overtime of direct reports within budget parameters.
- Develops employees in the competencies and technical requirements of their work; determines appropriate professional development; ensures that new staff are appropriately orientated and trained. Maintenance of Agresso absence reports, vacation and other absence approvals
- Interprets and applies the terms of relevant collective agreements and represents management in responding to grievances of employees
- Creates, maintains and monitors annual goals / deliverables for areas of responsibility accountability based on institutional strategic priorities and manages staff to successful completion of the goals.
- Develops, manages, and monitors financial budgets for areas of responsibility, including developing business cases when needed, for the most effective use of budget dollars.
- Manages and supervises the work of direct reports to ensure effective and consistent service. This includes having regular individual or team meetings as appropriate.
- Exercises overall authority to assign/reassign work of employees based on operational needs to deliver on the goals of the department and the College.
- Interprets and applies the terms of relevant collective agreements and represents management in responding to grievances of employees.
- Reviews work, as necessary, prior to distribution to stakeholders.
- Collaborates and carries joint responsibility with the other members of the Division leadership team to provide for effective operation of the Division.
- Ensures compliance with applicable College policy and procedure, government legislation, regulations and guidelines.
- Investigates, leads the response to, and reports to the College’s privacy office on privacy breach incidents for areas of responsibility.
- Proposes revisions to College procedures and gives input on revisions to College policies associated with areas of responsibility.
- Represents the Division on College committees as appropriate.
- Maintains effective and positive relationships with relevant stakeholders across the College.
- University degree, with preference for MBA
How to Apply
Please apply online: https://careersbowvalleycollege.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/2329