Reporting to the Director, Strategic Partnerships, the position of Manager, Employer Relations provides leadership and coordination with the overall responsibility of planning, developing, and implementing a comprehensive employer relations strategy, taking into consideration the expectations of the College, department, students and employers.
Key aspects include developing and maintaining appropriate employer relations to support employment and Work Integrated Learning opportunities for Bow Valley College students and graduates to achieve employment targets and goals. This involves ongoing liaison and development of partnerships with all sizes of employer organizations, in all industry sectors across Canada and internationally, particularly with senior leadership within these organizations.
Knowledge and Skills
- Sales and service, management experience potentially within a recruitment environment.
- Proven expertise in developing and successfully implementing strategy including process re-design
- 7 to 10 years experience managing staff, preferably in a unionized environment
- Ability to travel
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Five years of experience in higher education with experience in a career advisor or employer relations role preferred
- Proven experience developing educational programming in a postsecondary environment
- Demonstrated experience designing interventions that support the holistic needs of underrepresented groups
- Ability to manage through influence and create sense of common purpose.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain a high profile and establish an effective two-way dialogue with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage negotiation of resources.
- Able to manage perceptions and expectations in difficult situations
- Able to oversee account management-related functions.
- Able to identify collaborative opportunities through research, analysis and interpersonal contacts.
- Strong administrative and management skills; able to identify and prioritize competing needs and handle multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully developing and managing budgets.
- Knowledge of career development theory and ability to apply career concepts to communications, resources and events
- Effective interpersonal, presentation, facilitation and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly produce and distribute quality, thoughtful, creative and engaging content
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply key metrics for effective ROI analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and collaboratively as part of a dynamic team
- Proven ability to take initiative and be both creative and flexible
- Strong critical thinking, judgement and decision-making skills
- Willing and available to work some evenings and weekends
Duties and Responsibilities
Employer Relations and Strategic Planning
- Integral subject matter expert on the employer relations strategy; with the responsibility to grow and implement the business plan for Employer Relations.
- Contributes, guides, and shapes the business plan and funding proposal development.
- Develops new employer hiring relationships with a focus meeting needs of college stakeholders, as well as retaining and growing existing employer relationships.
- Implements systems and processes to ensure seamless transition of new employer relationships to internal stakeholders
- Accountable for identifying decision makers and strategic relationships to support Employment and Work Integrated Learning goals.
- Leads recommendations to advance the efforts in developing and maintaining employment and Work Integrated Learning opportunities for Bow Valley College students and alumni.
- Applies change management methodologies to strategically support the potential implementation of the comprehensive plan.
- Supports the creation of innovative space for ideas generation leading to effective program design and service delivery.
- Develops and implements employer relations strategies to ensure appropriate employment opportunities for Bow Valley College students and graduates.
- Engages and leads the team to enhance and implement strategies, goals and tactics to achieve targets.
- Develops, tests and implements diverse approaches to attracting and retaining employers new to hiring from Bow Valley College.
- Makes recommendations on partnerships with stakeholders in co-creating educational programming.
- Personally liaises with key employers at all levels to build strong relationships with Bow Valley College, and gains understanding of employer needs and priorities for ongoing enhancement of services and support provided.
- Provides leadership in the development of measures, ongoing assessment and maintenance of high levels of employer satisfaction.
- Develops and manages a productive employer recognition program.
- Leverages college tools and platforms to ensure that employers have equitable access to students, and that students have equitable access to employment opportunities.
- Identifies strategic opportunities to collaborate with stakeholders on and co-create employment and Work Integrated Learning opportunities.
- Oversees the implementation of programming and communications in alignment with the College’s goals and priorities. Identifies and develops virtual employment opportunities.
- Utilizes technology and social media to recruit new employers and maintain relationships with existing employers.
- Creates opportunities for high levels of communication and collaboration with internal College stakeholders.
- Exercises overall managerial direction of the area of responsibility with available resources for the purpose of delivering high-quality service to the College Leadership Team that advances the College’s strategic goals.
- Provides overall direct supervision to the Employer Relations team.
- Recruits and hires staff to meet the changing needs of the departments.
- Writes and reviews job descriptions, recruitment action forms.
- Reviews postings and interview scripts.
- Shortlists candidates, establishes interviews panels.
- Evaluates candidates and selects candidate to be hired.
- Responsible supervision, evaluation, scheduling, disciplining, performance management and motivation of direct staff to ensure optimal service is maintained.
- Providing direction and feedback for employee’s work.
- Performance appraisals on direct reports.
- Identifies and takes corrective action on performance issues.
- Coaching staff, including first-level performance management conversations, on performance issues.
- Escalating and discussing performance and discipline concerns with their direct manager when the issues move beyond first-level performance management.
- Approves and monitors vacation and other applicable absence requests and overtime of direct reports within budget parameters.
- Develops employees in the competencies and technical requirements of their work; determines appropriate professional development; ensures that new staff are appropriately orientated and trained. Maintenance of Agresso absence reports, vacation and other absence approvals.
- Interprets and applies the terms of relevant collective agreements and represents management in responding to grievances of employees
- Creates, maintains and monitors annual goals / deliverables for areas of responsibility accountability based on institutional strategic priorities and manages staff to successful completion of the goals.
- Develops, manages, and monitors financial budgets for areas of responsibility, including developing business cases when needed, for the most effective use of budget dollars.
- Manages and supervises the work of direct reports to ensure effective and consistent service. This includes having regular individual or team meetings as appropriate.
- Exercises overall authority to assign/reassign work of employees based on operational needs to deliver on the goals of the department and the College.
- Interprets and applies the terms of relevant collective agreements and represents management in responding to grievances of employees.
- Reviews work, as necessary, prior to distribution to stakeholders.
- Collaborates and carries joint responsibility with the other members of the Division leadership team to provide for effective operation of the Division.
- Ensures compliance with applicable College policy and procedure, government legislation, regulations and guidelines.
- Investigates, leads the response to, and reports to the College’s privacy office on privacy breach incidents for areas of responsibility.
- Proposes revisions to College procedures and gives input on revisions to College policies associated with areas of responsibility.
- Represents the Division on College committees as appropriate.
- Maintains effective and positive relationships with relevant stakeholders across the College.
- University degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s or equivalent in a related field (e.g., higher education, adult education, or communication) strongly preferred
How to Apply
Please apply online at: https://careersbowvalleycollege.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/2328