Title: Manager, Human Resources
Job status: Full-time
Classification: MGT I
Reports to: Vice-President, Corporate Services
Division: Corporate Services
Salary Range: $85,600 - $113,137
Posting Date: February 7, 2020
Closing Date: February 21, 2020
Competition Number: 2020-08
Located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is the voice of Canada’s publicly supported colleges, institutes, cégeps and polytechnics, and an international leader in education for employment in over 25 countries. CICan’s members add over $190B to Canada’s economy annually and contribute to inclusive economic growth by working with industry and community partners to offer more than 10,000 programs to learners in urban, rural, remote, and northern communities.
CICan is an innovative, responsive and entrepreneurial learning organization that values diversity, accountability and transparency and supports the ongoing development of the country’s college and institute system and its people.
As the ideal candidate, you are a skilled bilingual individual who embodies CICan’s member-service orientation and its core values of agility, integrity, and inspiring others. As a key member of the management team, you apply critical thinking to complex problems, demonstrate strong planning and project management skills and understand business needs. You are pro-active, customer-focused, positive, energetic, work collaboratively, inspire excellence, and nurture innovation. You can manage multiple priorities and you thrive in a small organization’s nimble and fast-paced environment.
The Manager Human Resources will:
• supports the development of the organization’s staffing plan and leads the process for the recruiting and staffing of all positions;
• leads the development and implementation of a competency-based HR framework;
• responsible for managing the use and functionality of the human resources information system (HRIS) including the time management system and makes recommendations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the systems;
• manages CICan’s training and development needs including the design of long-term training plans and monitors the results and success of all the associated activities;
• develops and administers policies and procedures, programs, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the organization;
• provides advice and expertise in responding to or resolving complex H/R matters including the interpretation of policies and procedures, performance improvement plans and employee terminations;
• provides guidance, advice and services on HR related matters to CICan’s overseas based Field Managers (FMs) and Senior Technical Advisors (STAs);
• oversees the administration of compensation and benefits;
• leads the process for the onboarding of new employees, succession planning, employee recognition, employee engagement plans and performance management development plans;
• ensures compliance with all legislative requirements (federal and provincial);
• plays a key role in negotiating the renewal process of the Collective Agreement between the employer and the bargaining unit;
• leads the payroll function.
Education and Experience
• graduate from a recognized college or university, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience;
• minimum of 5 years working in a human resources management position;
• has obtained or is working towards an HR professional designation (i.e.CHRL);
• experience with human resources information systems (HRIS), attendance and performance management, recruitment and employee relations;
• in-depth experience working in a unionized environment;
• experience in staff supervision and training and evaluation.
• a good understanding of the not-for-profit sector;
• excellent organization, problem-solving, and communication skills and an ability to
respond to shifting priorities, policies and legislations while meeting deadlines;
• demonstrated ability to meet strategic objectives for HR and the organization;
• demonstrated ability to manage core HR processes including the ability to develop competencies for all levels in the organization, succession planning and employee relations;
• excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
• ability to interpret and implement personnel related legislation;
• demonstrated knowledge of labour laws;
• ability to deal with conflict and ambiguity with focus on win/win outcomes and
• excellent communication skills and ability to interact with senior officials of member
institutions and other agencies;
• demonstrated problem-solving skills and sound judgement, tact and diplomacy;
• self-motivated, professional and flexible with the ability to work independently and
as part of a team;
• computer proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio).
• superior oral and written communication skills required in both official languages (English and French)
Agility: We thrive in a complex environment that requires nimbleness and adaptability, and we anticipate and respond to changes with quick and resourceful actions.
Inspiring Others: We motivate individuals to strive for excellence and commit to common goals and purposes, as we create a sense of self-efficacy, resilience, and persistence in others.
Integrity: We treat others fairly and respectfully, and we further the standing of the organization and its relationships of trust with our members and other stakeholders.
• A complete benefit package
• Generous group RRSP contributions
• Great work environment with flexible hours
• 5 weeks vacation;
• Time off with pay between Christmas and New Years
• Summer hours
• Generous paid time off package including paid sick time, medical/dental appointment leave and family sick leave)
• Corporate discounted gym membership
• Professional development opportunities
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Ramon Lashley, Vice-President, Corporate Services before 4pm on February 21, 2020 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact me if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
CICan provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise me if you require any accommodation.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.