Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $77,520 - $96,900
Posting Date: May 4th, 2022
Closing Date: May 11th, 2022 at 7:00 pm EST
Reporting to the Dean, International & Partnerships, the Manager, International and Exchange Students is responsible for planning, managing, developing, marketing and overseeing the daily operations of student engagement and cultural programs in support of the International & Partnership department’s strategic plan, internationalization mandate for Mohawk College. This includes international student pre-arrival journey, all short-term programs, summer programs, exchange, international experience and internship programs for both domestic and international populations.
In support of the student pre-arrival and arrival journey the incumbent will champion student arrival, transition to Canada, housing, student engagement and program-readiness strategies. The incumbent is also responsible for start-up/student’s post arrival transition coordination and has oversight and management of the staff, events management and student welcoming and engagement programming within the Language and Culture Centre.
The successful candidate is the spokesperson for the Language and Culture Centre to international educators, new students, internal Mohawk College departments and external stakeholders with the goal of supporting college-wide student welcoming, engagement and equity strategies.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Student Pre-Arrival and Arrival:
- Overseeing the creation and updating of communication plans, website resources, COVID Safe updates, and other applicable communication updates related to student pre-arrival and arrivals support.
- Responsibility to review governmental and regulatory body updates, work closely with internal stakeholders to track, monitor, evaluate and update student arrival processes related to Mohawk College’s Readiness Plan for Mohawk College international students and co-arriving family members.
- Working with external stakeholders and community partners to coordinate student arrival welcoming supports and events to support new student integration into Mohawk College and the wider community.
- Overseeing and actively championing college-wide strategies to support student arrival, engagement and program-readiness.
- Working with community partners to leverage housing opportunities for new student arrival.
- Developing student facing communication strategies supporting the entirety of the pre-arrival journey, including but not limited to pre-departure sessions, presentations, infographics, tailored e-mail communications etc.
Summer and Short-Term Programming and Partnerships – Language and Culture Centre:
- In collaboration with the Manager, International Partnerships and Projects, organizes, plans, schedules, coordinates, leads and implements the services, activities, events and workshops associated with custom short-term programming.
- Maintains partnerships relationships and ongoing communications with client groups to encourage an ongoing business relationship.
- In collaboration with Director International Recruitment and Business Development, maintains long-term relationships with partners globally.
- In collaboration with Dean International & Partnerships and Director International Recruitment and Business Development, conducts market analysis and implementing plans for summer and short-term programs.
- Responsible for designing and implementing a dynamic student-oriented out-of-classroom ESL socio-cultural program as well as the logistics and follow ups for food, lodging transportation, etc. that will need to comply with the Council of Ministers Education, Canada (CMEC) administrative guide.
International Student Post Arrival/Start-up Coordination:
- Working with other teams across the college for successful start-up/student’s post arrival support operations within Language and Culture Centre.
- Supervising staff and student start-up information session coordination, planning and delivery.
- Working in collaboration with other Mohawk College stakeholders to support Language and Culture Centre student mentor and volunteer programing, recruitment, training and engagement.
Language and Culture Centre and Events Management:
- Oversight and management of the staff, events management and student welcoming and engagement programming within the Language and Culture Centre.
- Working in close collaboration with other Mohawk College departments and community partner to deliver inclusive, integrated, cross-institutional and engaging student programming and leadership opportunities.
- Supervision of Language and Culture Centre student volunteers and mentors, and engagement in programming to support internationalized student and staff engagement.
- Working in collaboration with key stakeholders within Mohawk International to operationalize and support the department’s social media strategy to engage students in quality programming inclusive the Mohawk International brand and the LCC brand.
- Active participation and leadership in college-wide student engagement, orientation and program-readiness strategies.
- Oversight for cultural events selected, promoted and actioned within the Language and Culture Centre for Mohawk College students, faculty and community partners.
- Maintaining, building and expanding relationships and community partner networks to action student arrival and welcoming events, services and engagement opportunities.
- Providing strategic oversight and leadership to the international student ambassador program. Including, volunteer coordination and support, marketing, user experience and oversight of user generated content.
Human Resources and Financial Management:
- Develops program budgets, monitors and ensures compliance and adherence to agreed upon budget for LCC projects and activities/events etc.
- Establishes resource allocation, both budget and personnel, priorities to ensure maximum utilization for all service initiatives. Determines when additional staff are required to effectively deliver projects related to the LCC.
- Ensures a high level of performance through effective recruiting, selection, hiring, development, motivation, evaluation and training of staff within the Language and Culture Centre.
- Promotes and monitors ongoing professional development of all contract and full-time staff.
- Develops plans in consultation with HR including performance and disciplinary plans and procedures as required.
- Builds an effective team and maintains a high level of staff morale.
Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant must have:
- A 3 years Advance Diploma/4 years Bachelor’s degree inBusiness Administration, Management, Educational Administration, Sales, Travel/Tourism/Hospitality or any other related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including a minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered.
- Experience in successfully planning, actionizing and implementing projects. Working in a time sensitive deadline driven environment with an elevated attention to detail within a culturally diverse environment and working knowledge of the educational systems in overseas countries.
- Experience in a similar setting, coordinating teams and projects with diverse groups.
- Working with databases and student information systems, preferably with Banner, or any relational database in a postsecondary education.
- Proven Strategic and analytical thinking, planning and resource management, applied to the job.
- Outgoing with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (listening, interviewing, explaining and advising students).
- Strong initiative, resourcefulness, problem-solving skills and demonstrated capacity for exercising sound judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Capacity to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Patient, supportive and enjoys working with youth in an international environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and the ability to deliver effective presentations.
- Experience with overseas travelling required.
- Experience with short term program/project/summer programs planning and implementation.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Proficiency in at least one additional language (other than English and French).
- Understanding of the international student market and expectations from students within this market
- An acutesense of business and be entrepreneurial when approaching new business and program opportunities, as well as have significant experience in drafting and implementing new international programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community
- Experience with traveling and working in countries outside of North America. Overseas travel is required to support pre-departure sessions, partnership projects etc.
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted regarding an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources (905) 575 - 2047 if you require an accommodation.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.