COLLEGES AND INSTITUTES CANADA (CICan)
Title: Program Officer, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa
Classification: Program Staff II
Supervisor: Director, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa
Division: International Partnerships
Date: May 21st, 2019
PLEASE REFER TO COMPETITION NUMBER: 2019-07
Reporting to the Director, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa, the Program Officer is responsible for supporting education for employment (EFE) programs that are implemented by the Caribbean and Anglophone Africa team. The primary focus of this role is the provision of support across several financial, technical and administrative areas. The Program Officer will work within frameworks as per by current and future programming needs. The Program Officer is expected to take initiative in solving problems and to demonstrate consistent ability to work well under pressure.
The incumbent may also be assigned to assist in the coordination of other initiatives and/or to assist other division team members in the design, implementation, and coordination of program activities, including research, program development as well as guidance support and training for CICan member institutions.
The Program Officer will work closely, as determined by the Director, with EFE Senior Technical Advisors, Senior Program Officers, other Program Officers and Administrative Coordinator, both in Canada and overseas. The incumbent will be primarily responsible for supporting the development, planning and implementation of program activities including monitoring and evaluation, and drafting of and revising documents including reports, proposals, guidelines, promotional materials and correspondence.
The work of the Program Officer is reviewed by the Director, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa (or designate, depending on the task) based on objectives and work plans set annually.
- Perform various and complex tasks of a responsible and professional nature;
- Interact effectively with CICan staff, senior and administrative staff from member institutions, partners and external agencies;
- exhibit sound tact and diplomacy;
- organize work effectively and efficiently within a team environment;
- function with flexibility and autonomy;
- work under pressure and sometimes changing deadlines, with strong attention to detail;
- make efficient and strategic recommendations;
- troubleshoot as required and provide innovative problem-solving solutions;
- treat everyone fairly and equitably and maintain high ethical standards;
- perform duties in accordance with CICan’s competencies, values and code of ethics;
- be able to travel domestically and internationally.
The Program Officer, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa will, as determined by the Director:
- assist with Monitoring and Evaluation activities of EFE programs (i.e. inputting data in the software, data collection, preparing reports from the M&E software, etc.)
- draft and revise documents and promotional materials related to EFE programs;
- support team in conducting research and surveys, analyzing data, preparing reports and guidelines, and preparing proposals, as assigned;
- work with Senior Program Officers in the implementation and coordination of the program’s activities, including providing support and guidance to member colleges/institutes that are implementing EFE programs;
- monitor the workflow and activities associated with assigned programs including planning, operational, development, contracts as well as guidance and support for the member colleges/institutes;
- assist in the preparation and revision of various types of proposals and documents if/as required;
- provide information to member colleges/institutes regularly to assist in their implementation of EFE programs;
- participate in the review of assigned programs to ensure that all contractual obligations are being met by all parties and report regularly on the implementation of activities and any anomalies;
- review financial reports submitted by institutional partnerships to ensure conformity with the program financial guidelines and report anomalies to Senior Program Officers;
- contribute to the effectiveness of team decision-making by obtaining information, searching records and preparing briefs;
- assist in maintaining contacts with the authorities from the appropriate planning, education and other related government and private sectors of the various overseas countries either directly, or through the member institutions, as required;
- support the coordination of meetings and events, including travel;
- support the team and provide direction as required;
- perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- graduate from a post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- knowledge of international development; familiarity with the strategies of development and the socio-economic and political realities of the developing world;
- demonstrated research skills including electronic research;
- demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders at different levels;
- proficient in managing information and administrative processes;
- strong organizational, communication and interpersonal abilities;
- very strong ability to take initiative;
- demonstrated ability to being creative and innovative when problem-solving;
- excellent writing skills;
- knowledge of results-based management (RBM);
- fluency in English;
- demonstrated strong ability using Microsoft Office Suite (intermediate Excel);
- strong analytical skills and experience collecting, organizing, and analysing data.
- knowledge of M&E software;
- knowledge and understanding of the Canadian college/institute system;
- demonstrated knowledge of the education for employment (EFE) approach;
- experience working with procurement processes and practices;
- knowledge of French;
- international work experience;
- experience working on donor-funded projects, in particular with Global Affairs Canada.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Roxanne Cantin, Senior Personnel Officer before 4pm on May 29th, 2019 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact me if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
We thank all applicants in advance however only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
We will make every reasonable effort to accommodate prospective candidates under any of the protected grounds of discrimination. Should you need an accommodation, please make the request as soon as possible. If the accommodation is related to a medical or health condition, you may be required to provide confirmation from a medical profession that you require the accommodation. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.