JOB ID: J1023-1400
Classification: Full-time Support
Pay Band: J
Pay Range: $41.12 to $47.67 per hour
Campus/Location: WIMTACH (305 Milner Ave., Scarborough, ON) – Hybrid
Hours/Week: 35 hours/week
Shift Schedule: Monday to Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Posting Date: November 3, 2023
Closing Date: November 24, 2023
(As a unionized employer, Centennial College gives preference to internal candidates as defined in the collective agreement. External candidates will be considered only if there are no qualified internal candidates)
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women, Racialized, Persons with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Wearable, Interactive, and Mobile Technologies Access Center in Health (WIMTACH), funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), is Centennial College’s first Technology Access Center (TAC) fostering growth and creating dynamic partnerships between students, faculty and industry partners. WIMTACH supports and advances the businesses of Small and Medium-Size Enterprises (SMEs) in Canada by serving as their Research and Development (R&D) partner for their technology requirements. Consequently, WIMTACH cultivates learning, applied research, innovation and solutions that transform the lives of communities.
WIMTACH is looking for an experienced Research Associate (RA) with high initiative, specializing in Industrial Design, Product Design, Mechanical Engineering to handle the Product Development Life Cycle for industry-college, collaborative, and multi-disciplinary projects. Reporting to the Director of WIMTACH, the RA is responsible for supporting the delivery of WIMTACH’s services, including applied research projects, technical services, and specialized training and education. The incumbent will support and co-lead a variety of projects in collaboration with Faculty, with a focus on research and development of translating ideas and concepts into tangible prototypes, conducting design research, and collaborating with faculty and student teams to drive innovation, new technology prototypes, system usability testing, and related activities. The incumbent will also provide technical inputs for the development of funding and project proposals, and identify appropriate materials, equipment, and supplies to purchase for supporting Centre's activities. The incumbent will be working in a team environment with Research Professionals, industry partners, professors, staff, and students.
Knowledge and Skills
- Four (4) year degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field required
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in mechanical design and prototype/product development and applied research development
- Two (2) years’ experience working in technology start-ups
- Experience in conducting applied research projects in a college environment highly preferred
- Demonstrates ability to assist with equipment operation and in design and prototyping, with few examples demonstrating successful projects.
- Strong knowledge of CAD software, 3D modeling, prototyping tools, and related programming
- Proven project coordination experience in a multi-disciplinary, time-sensitive and high-pressure work environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and collaboration; able to interact effectively with clients, students, faculty and industry partners
- Proven independence of action and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; experience with project planning software a definite asset
- Thrives in a highly diverse, innovative and team oriented environment
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform System Analysis of business goals and purposes of partner companies and develop work plans, identify resources required and most suitable source of research funding based on the identified needs
- Perform risk assessment and develop plans to minimize/mitigate risks
- Prepare funding proposals for federal and provincial research agencies including NSERC and ensure that all program requirements and eligibility criteria are satisfied
- Collaborate with faculty members and other stakeholders to conceptualize and refine design ideas for new products or product improvements
- Utilize various prototyping techniques, including 3D printing, CAD modeling, and physical prototyping, to create functional prototypes that validate design concepts and inform product development
- Conduct user research to understand user needs and preferences. Work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure seamless integration of design concepts into the product development process
- Maintain detailed records of design and prototyping processes, including design specifications, materials used, and production costs
- Chair weekly update meetings with Industry partners where work done is reviewed and next steps are decided
- Guide the development process and ensure that projects meet the predefined objectives and are completed within budget
- Develop training or workshop modules on area of expertise and conduct the same on a bi-weekly basis or weekly basis, as deemed necessary, to clients, faculty, and students; modules are kept up to date to reflect the current technology being utilize in the industry
Four (4) year degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field required.
How to Apply
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by November 24, 2023 at 4:30 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J1023-1400. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).