North Island College is seeking to hire a Senior Research & Planning Officer at our Comox Valley Campus.
Reporting to the Manager, Institutional Research & Planning, and working under minimal supervision, the Senior Research & Planning Officer plays an integral role in overseeing and coordinating North Island College's data integrity, data mining, analytics, performance measurement and reporting, and accountability activities. This position is responsible for the provision of timely, reliable, high quality data and analytics to the internal College community, government and the B.C. post-secondary system.
A critical role of this position is the direct supervision, training and mentoring of the Institutional Research & Planning (IR&P) analyst team. The Senior Research & Planning Officer plans, prioritizes, schedules, assigns and checks the work of the IR&P analysts and provides advice and direction with respect to data collection, analysis, reporting and project work. In collaboration with the manager, the Senior Research & Planning Officer supports the College's external and internal reporting and analysis.
The Senior Research & Planning Officer is aware of the Mission and Values of North Island College, incorporating and practicing the values in all aspects of their work.
This is a regular, full-time (35 hours per week) position with a Monday to Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm work schedule.
The paygrade is $30.03-$34.94.
The start date for this position is March 02, 2020.
This competition will be open until filled. The posting number is 102489.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Knowledge and Skills
1. Ability to plan, prioritize, schedule and assign work and projects with College-wide scope for a department within time constraints.
2. Ability to train and monitor new staff.
3. Demonstrated positive and effective supervisory style.
4. Excellent time and project management skills with the ability to work under pressure while planning and prioritizing multiple complex projects and tasks to efficiently meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
5. Ability to work independently, including independent upgrading of training, skills and knowledge as technologies and requirements change.
6. Ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with the College community and colleagues and partners in the B.C. post-secondary system and government.
7. Ability to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and team behaviours such as active listening, collaboration, balanced participation, diplomacy and contributing to shared team goals.
8. Excellent communication and presentation skills, including the ability to convey technical and statistical information to a diverse audience, both verbally and in writing.
9. Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities with high attention to detail, including the ability to locate, understand and synthesize data and information from a variety of sources to answer research questions.
10. Ability to extract, manipulate and analyze complex data from a variety of databases.
11. Ability to maintain and develop new applications using relational databases and business intelligence tools.
12. Sound numeracy skills with emphasis on accuracy.
13. Strong understanding of the department's goals and objectives.
14. Knowledge of provincial post-secondary reporting and accountability.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides direct supervision, training and mentoring of the department's analysts, including participation on hiring committees.
2. Plans, prioritizes, schedules, assigns and checks the work of the department's analysts and provides direction regarding their daily work, new projects and routine projects identified in the department's annual work plan.
3. Plans, prioritizes, designs and executes research projects as required by the College administration such as surveys, environmental scans, statistical analyses and written reports, including those of a highly sensitive nature.
4. Provides direct support to the strategic plan and Board of Governors reporting requirements.
5. Provides direct support in preparing institutional accountability plans and reports and meeting other government reporting requirements.
6. Provides direct support to enrolment, program and service planning, including evaluation and review processes.
7. Provides direct support to marketing and recruitment initiatives.
8. Oversees and coordinates College activities related to the Ministry of Advanced Education's Post-Secondary Central Data Warehouse (CDW) ensuring reliable and timely provision of student FTE data internally and to government.
9. Oversees and coordinates cohort and data submissions for B.C. educational system research projects including B.C. Student Outcomes survey cohort submissions.
10. Works directly with internal and external clients and departments to understand their information needs and define project terms and requirements in order to maximize utility and value of data and information.
11. Works with the Manager, IR&P, and internal departments to create and refine performance indicators for the College and departments.
12. Provides timely and accurate data on key performance measures across the College.
13. Extracts, prepares, analyzes and summarizes data/information to produce various statistical analyses and reports for college-wide, departmental, campus and unit informational, planning and decision-making needs with strong emphasis on quality control and assurance.
14. Maintains an archive of educationally related statistical reports and demographic/socio-economic reports, and prepares summaries and analyses as required using appropriate tools and research methodologies.
15. Develops, manages and manipulates complex databases required for research and reporting.
16. Oversees ongoing data validation to support the integrity of institutional data used for reporting.
17. Exercises discretion and follows appropriate procedures for secure and confidential handling of data and information.
18. Remains current with the political, socio-economic and educational trends that influence the effective implementation of the College's strategic plan and academic and reporting strategies.
19. Maintains current knowledge in Institutional Research trends and developments as well as maintaining current knowledge in technology and research methods.
20. Participates in professional organizations and B.C. post-secondary committees and working groups.
21. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Institutional Research and Planning.
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent training in a related field of study such as a social science, statistics, computer science, engineering, or business management discipline, with specialized courses in statistics and research methodology.
2. Minimum of six years related experience, including four years of experience designing and conducting research and reporting. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
a. Experience in gathering, synthesizing, evaluating, and interpreting data and information.
b. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Power Pivot, Access and Word in a Windows environment.
c. Advanced knowledge of database technologies and query languages to extract import and analyze data, including SQL Server and Oracle.
d. Experience with statistical software such as SPSS.
e. Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau.
3. Minimum of two years experience in a supervisory or coordination role.
How to Apply
Please apply directly at www.nic.bc.ca. Before uploading all necessary documents, you will be asked to create an applicant profile for yourself. Following this step, you will asked to attach an updated cover letter, resume, and transcripts. Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.
Thank you for your interest in this position. The screening and selection process is currently underway and will continue until a successful candidate is chosen. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted.