Technician - Horticultural (ARD 201900054)
School of Design
Faculty of Creative Industries
Employment Group: Support
Type of Position: Full-time
Closing Date: April 24, 2019
Note: This is a full-time position (35 hours per week).
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties: Under the supervision of the Associate Dean, School of Design, the Horticulture Technician provides hands-on grounds maintenance to a diverse plant collection and garden maintained to the highest professional standards. Additionally the incumbent will provide safe equipment maintenance, summer student supervision, and some minor property maintenance. The Technician also provides technical assistance to the Horticultural Programs as directed by the Program staff.
• Post-secondary 2 year diploma in Horticulture/Landscape or equivalent
• Minimum 3 years’ horticulture/grounds/greenhouse experience
• An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered; preference will be given to applicants meeting the education requirements
• Landscape Exterminator and/or Industrial Vegetation Exterminator, Greenhouse Pesticide Exterminator certification required
• Familiarity with greenhouse climate control programs/systems, ornamental plant identification, interior and exterior
• Working knowledge of landscape construction materials including stone, wood, fasteners and irrigation components
• Ability to operate and demonstrate operation of a variety of landscape equipment such as: radial arm saw, circular saw, jig saw, table saw, mitre saw, stone cutter and drill
• Mechanical aptitude and skills in repairing and maintaining equipment such as lawn mowers, garden tractors and tools
• Valid driver's license
• CLT, chainsaw, skidsteer preferred
• Demonstrated success in a team environment and proven ability to work independently
While transcripts are not required for the interview, they are mandatory prior to any offer of employment.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
Do not apply through the Job Board on this site. In order to be considered for this position you must apply through the Fanshawe website online application. See information below. For more information and how to apply, please visit the Fanshawe College website at: https://jobs.fanshawec.ca/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Fanshawe College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Fanshawe College provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, the hiring manager and the Recruitment Coordinator leading the recruitment will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant's accommodation needs.