ABOUT NORQUEST COLLEGE
NorQuest College provides learning opportunities for all. With the strength of a NorQuest College education, our learners have the skills and confidence to further their studies, begin new careers, provide better lives for their families, and make valuable contributions to society.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse, and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies, and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural, and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program, and a commitment to a positive work/life balance. This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.
NorQuest College is a vibrant, inclusive and diverse learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities.
NorQuest College inspires lifelong learning and the achievement of career goals by offering relevant and accessible education.
We value people. We:
- treat people with integrity and respect
- empower and encourage risk taking
- celebrate commitment, contribution and accomplishments
- promote health and wellness
We value learning. We:
- foster creativity, innovation and critical thought
- encourage growth, development and lifelong learning
- build on the diversity of our learners, employees and partners
We value our role in the community. We:
- display leadership and responsibility for our outcomes
- partner to achieve community goals
- We value the quality of the processes we use in reaching our goals. We:
- demonstrate a learner-centred approach
- set clear expectations, measure results and demonstrate accountability
- promote teamwork, cooperation and sharing throughout the College
- follow fair process in accomplishing our objectives
To learn more, please visit the NorQuest College website: www.norquest.ca
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, and one of six in the Executive Leadership Group, the Vice President, Corporate Services & Finance (VPCS&F) plays a key role in achieving the goals in IMAGINE: NorQuest College 2025 Strategic Plan www.NorquestCollege/strategic-plan. As a key senior leader, the VPCS&F champions and demonstrates the values of the College and works collaboratively to increase its relevance in the post-secondary market by pushing boundaries and becoming more self-sufficient.
The VPCS&F leads a diverse portfolio that includes:
- Business & Financial Services
- Technology & Creative Services
- Enterprise Business
In order to achieve its goals, the VPCS&F will have to have the experience and the vision to both support entrepreneurial endeavours and be entrepreneurial themselves.
The VPCS&F ensures the President and leadership team are well informed. They provide the appropriate guidance and stewardship enabling the institution to make effective decisions and take necessary calculated risks to move the College forward.
Knowledge and Skills
Visionary Leadership Skills—Demonstrates a progressive and visionary leadership style while giving guidance and support to staff and leadership as required. A mentor and positive role model who can communicate potential opportunities to departments while empowering staff and incorporating the views of others. Uses a practical and common-sense approach.
Financial Management—Has a proven ability to manage in all fiscal environments and leads with a strong sense of service and is efficient in budgeting, financing and information reporting.
Courage—Steps up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said; champions an idea or position despite dissent or political risk; faces difficult issues and supports others to do the same; translates position into actionable feedback.
Entrepreneur—Understands and assumes all the risks and rewards of the venture. Is resilient, decisive, and possess business acumen and strategic thinking capabilities to guide the organization through challenging change initiatives.
Communication—Exceptional listening, verbal, written, and presentation skills; highly effective, internal and external communication skills. Uses a clear, concise, and positive style; builds trust through presenting ideas clearly and effectively listening to others. Is a straightforward, tactful, and respectful communicator.
Interpersonal Savvy—Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people. Treats employees, colleagues, students, and others with respect; resolves conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner, negotiates effectively, and provides effective feedback to colleagues/employees.
Change Management—Energetic and able to lead in a changing environment; experienced in evaluating organizational structure and effectively implementing required changes to elevate the skill level and improve the efficiency of an organization. Can alter course/direction when necessary while maintaining a clear and consistent vision; enjoys and embraces new challenges.
Demonstrates Character—Displays a quality guided by noble principles with the conviction and courage to do the right thing always; demonstrates integrity, ethics, responsibility, character, and virtue; has a developed personal and progressive value system based on a high sense of integrity and desire to treat others as he or she would expect to be treated.
Customer Service—Helps define a service delivery processes and implements changes to improve on the quality of results. Has functional and operational knowledge of all key service areas under their portfolio. Recognizes the value of operational planning and technology integration in providing customer service. Ensures customer needs are identified and addressed; ensures appropriate consultation with all stakeholders is timely, cost effective and of quality service.
Conflict Resolution—Is a consensus builder with a proven ability of solving problems by engaging people from diverse or polarized positions in a positive manner.
Pragmatic Decision Maker—Believes in involving people in processes to establish priorities and shows sensitivity to changing approaches. Shows strong common sense and intuitive judgment abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and revolutionize the development and resourcing of the Information Technology Plan in order to meet classroom needs and achieve the Imagine 2025 plan.
- Lead and identify commercializing our solutions (i.e., interplay with Educational Technologies).
- Ensure the students, faculty and staff have the IT infrastructure required to support teaching and learning, effective and efficient administration, and assist the College in achieving the goals in an ever-changing environment.
- Provide thoughtful advice and leadership as creative IT solutions are identified, vetted, and implemented.
Business and Financial Services
- Ensure that excellent and leading financial services continue to be provided to the institution.
- Lead a review and revamp of financial processes and controls to ensure the financial services area is able to be more responsive to allow for successful execution of the Imagine 2025 plan.
- Lead in a new approach to managing the College’s financial program, processes and financial resources to ensure all processes meet Alberta public sector requirements.
- Support NorQuest as they continue to strive in the achievement of institutional best practices, and ensure resources and processes are appropriately aligned to achieve the goals identified. Functions within business & financial services include financial planning and analysis, procurement, business case and contract management, payroll, investment management, accounts payable and receivable, revenue collection, reporting, general accounting and audit.
- Ensure the facilities and services support quality teaching and learning and the overall achievement of the Imagine 2025 plan. The College is in a growth stage and wants to explore alternative and creative solutions with the current physical space in order to meet the ever-changing needs of the institution.
- Through innovation and improvement is accountable for stewarding assets and ensuring a welcoming and safe space is available to all stakeholders.
- Supporting the Director, Enterprise Business, explore unique and creative business solutions that drive new sustainable revenue, and services that add value to students, faculty, staff, and the community NorQuest serves.
- Responsible for effective contract and vendor management of ancillary services (such as daycares, fitness centre), and the exploration of new initiatives that align with the overall strategic direction of the College and maximizes revenue opportunities.
The ideal candidate will possess an entrepreneurial spirit and be committed to innovation and leading through change. They will be a confident leader who demonstrates a commitment to the values of NorQuest College and operates with an innate sense of honesty, integrity, and fairness. In addition, the ideal candidate will have proven accomplishments in the following areas:
- They will have broad and diverse experience in senior leadership of large and complex organizations within the public and/or private sectors. A strong background in financial stewardship, ancillary services, and social enterprising is required.
- They will have solid relevant academic preparation including a relevant Chartered Professional Accounting designation (CPA) and/or graduate level credentials.
- They will focus on the future and be able to lead through change and ambiguity by taking initiative to create opportunities that transform NorQuest, the post-secondary system, the whole community and the Alberta economy.
- They will execute on plans and drive key business processes to optimize business performance.
- They will demonstrate sound judgment, business and financial acumen in all levels of decision-making and can coach and inspires others throughout the organization to do the same.
- They will innovate and lead change. They will question the status quo and make changes to improve processes and systems across the organization. They will support a culture of research and inquiry, showing openness and building excitement around new possibilities and opportunities that will align with Imagine 2025 plan.
- They will be a connector and collaborator building strong relationships both internally and externally to the institutions.
- They take pride in developing people and culture and in building capacity for the future success of NorQuest. They thrive in a team environment working towards achieving its highest potential.