Vice President of Strategy, Alignment and Analytics
A uniquely exciting career opportunity for a strategically minded and tactically skilled executive who is prepared to make evidence-based divisional decisions and drive practical, innovative solutions aligned to the College’s strategy, mandate, vision, and future direction.
About Centennial College
Over the past 50 years, Centennial College has transformed itself from a local community college to a worldly institution, with a presence in countries like China, India, South Korea and Brazil.
Our focus has always been on preparing graduates to enter the work force, while teaching our students to be leaders. We’ve worked to build lasting partnerships with local communities, while preparing our graduates to succeed globally.
Locally, we continue to offer industry-recognized full- and part-time programs at four Toronto campuses. Whether in our classrooms, our labs or the community, Centennial student experience the real world before they even graduate. They're job-ready, and that's a fact employers have told us, as more than 94 per cent of those hiring Centennial grads are satisfied or very satisfied with their hires.
As a leader in internationalization, we’ve done extensive work teaching international students. At the same time, we are enabling more Canadian learners to have an international adventure, be it completing a semester in Spain, an internship in South Africa or a Global Citizenship learning experience in the Amazon Basin.
We believe a Centennial education is an education without borders, because the world has changed, and so have we. We’ve re-created our College, giving ourselves a unique position in the marketplace and the world. We are now prepared for the next set of challenges: To be more innovative and entrepreneurial, to further exploit the benefits of technology, to creatively engage our employees, to build more bridges with communities and employers and to see our graduates do meaningful work and have meaningful lives.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
About The Role
As an executive leader within the College, you will have joint responsibility in operational decisions affecting the overall current and future institutional effectiveness and fiscal viability of the College, including overall effectiveness of corporate functions, i.e. quality of the student experience, risk management, monitoring and mitigation, space utilization, and more. Reporting to the President and CEO, you will provide strategic direction for the administrative and operations-related functions of your division (be it a large department, multiple departments or various programs) through the leadership of AVPs and/or Directors.
As Vice President of Strategy, Alignment and Analytics you play a vital role by advising the President on matters of importance to the Board of Governors and its sub-committees. In addition, you may serve as a resource to the Board or one of its committees and/or directly advise the Board/ Ministry on unique matters pertaining to their expertise. Partners and work closely with the President and Vice Presidents to provide corporate leadership and always ensure alignment in strategic planning and overall oversight of the College to ensure it achieves its mandate and goals. As VP of Strategy, Alignment and Analytics you habitually engage and connect with members of the College system (i.e. CCVPS, CCVPA), industry partners, leaders and organizations within the communities in which we operate, and with representatives of government to ensure Centennial alignment and compliance as the Centennial representative. You will integrates and balance data analytics and evidence-based practices along with experiential knowledge to inform decisions and guide and direct complex, or unique problems relating to planning, coordinating, and operating major functional areas of the College.
On a divisional level, you will act as the Chief Privacy and Data Integrity Officer and, as such, orchestrate future planning, scenario planning and incubation of strategic initiatives, oversee both privacy and risk management within the College with clarity and design, and ensure Centennial is aware of, responds to, and mitigates any privacy or data integrity risks. You will also oversee and guide the Corporate Planning and Business Continuity portfolio, aligning strategic and operational plans with SEM, and reconfiguring the business planning and annual reporting processes.
Intellectually agile and emotionally intelligent in approaching challenges within internal and external environments, and finding innovative solutions to leverage opportunities for the College, you will integrate and balance data analytics, evidence-based practices and experiential knowledge to inform decisions and guide complex or unique problems relating to planning, coordinating and operating major functional areas of the College. This is an exciting opportunity to make decisions that have long-term implications and impact on the operations and individuals in both academic and non-academic areas of the College.
This mandate calls for a professional with extensive knowledge and expertise in business intelligence, data management, information management systems, and the thorough utilization of analytics. Equally important, you can act as a spokesperson and advocate, promote and represent the College, and effectively address highly critical and politically sensitive and controversial issues, as well as analyze complex situations and drive practical, innovative solutions. You will ensure that IT has a cohesive and unified strategic plan that underpins institutional strategy and meets key institutional
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate for the position of Vice President, Strategy, Alignment and Analytics will possess:
- A Post-Graduate degree in a relevant field (Master of Business Administration, Master of Public Administration; certification in data governance)
- A minimum of 13 years’ experience in administrative and financial management, goal and strategic setting, a track record of innovation and impact on an institution-wide scale, senior management experience, or combination of education and relevant / lived experience.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and effectively influence at all levels of the College, the Board and its sub-committees, the College community and Higher Education Sector, relevant Councils, and governing bodies
- Well versed in matrix and horizontal leadership with substantial experience building and empowering inter/intra relationships in achieving outcome-based solutions
- Demonstrated capabilities to act as a spokesperson and promote and represent their portfolio as it relates to three and seven year planning and college outcomes, effectively addressing highly critical and politically sensitive and controversial issues
- Is intellectually agile and emotionally intelligent in approaching challenges within internal and external environments as well as innovative in solutions to leverage opportunities for the benefit of the College
- Demonstrated respect and experience in leading through the lens of social inclusion, internationalization, decolonization and equitable practices that foster progressive stakeholder discussions and relationships as well as culturally relevant programs and competencies
- Experienced in building a culture of accountability, driving institutional effectiveness (e.g. analysis, communications, alignment and leadership development) and evidence-based decision-making
- Able to analyze complex situations and drive practical and innovative solutions
- Proven excellent organizational skills in balancing multiple priorities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Extensive advanced knowledge and expertise in business intelligence, data management, information management systems, and thorough utilization of analytics
- Ability to effectively contribute to the continuous refinement of strategic objectives and to translate strategic intent into action.
- Well versed in institutional effectiveness and organizational governance, including though not exclusive to Six Sigma, Agile and LEAN principles, RACI, and project management practices in order to provide divisional leadership and strategic oversight at the institutional level
- Solid understanding of best practice evidence based communication channels and practices
To apply to this high-impact administrative mandate in higher education, submit your application to Phelps at firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the job title in the subject line of your e-mail. Application deadline: May 18th, 2021.
401 Bay Street, Suite 1400, Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4
Phone: 416 364 6229