Clerical / Administrative Anticipatory Hire: Research Associate, Mining Life Cycle – 18.04
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Term position to March 31, 2019. This position is a member of the bargaining unit and falls under the Letter of Agreement (Researchers).
Anticipatory Hi re: Research Associate. Mining Life Cycle
The Yukon Research Centre (YRC) at Yukon College (YC) is seeking a PhD- Level research associate to lead the continued growth of an existing collaborative, industry focused research program, building on the accomplishments of the YRC’s recently vacated NSERCIndustrial Research Chair for Colleges in Mine Life Cycles. Together, the YRC and the successful candidate will apply for a new Industrial Research Chair for Colleges position, to continue the research conducted under the past Chairholder.
The successful candidate will work in collaboration with the Yukon Mining Research Consortium (YMRC) to develop new research ideas and execute research projects that align with the YRC and YMRC priorities. The successful candidate will be based out of the YRC, which houses a multi – disciplinary team that undertakes a variety of research activities across the North, with a primary focus on Yukon communities and Yukon First Nations. Research conducted through this position will enhance the YRC’s capacity to address Yukon Mining Industry applied research needs. It will align with some or all of the YRC and YC’s strengths in climate change, indigenous governance, sustainable resource development, and scholarship, teaching and learning. Importantly, the successful candidate will also work to build capacity and create new partnerships in support of research activities, both within and external to YC, including Yukon First Nations and communities.
If the YRC and the successful candidate are successful in securing an Industrial Research Chair for Colleges, the successful candidate will be expected to work with the YMRC to develop project proposals, create new strategic partnerships, lead and coordinate projects, attend meetings, build capacity, supervise students, and engage with those poised to benefit from the program of research. Additionally,the successful candidate will also participate in internal service to the YRC and YC, may also represent the YRC and YC at local, regional and national meetings as directed by YRC Leadership.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic planning and development of a northern mining-related research program at the YRC
- Working with YMRC and other potential Mining Industry Partners to identify research priorities
- Scoping project ideas and developing project proposals
- Primary and secondary research activities
- Project management, oversight and coordination
- Supervision of students and research assistants
- Developing and delivering written reports, presentations, community engagement, and other communications pieces
- Developing partnerships internal and external to the YRC and YC
- Advising the Associate Vice President Research Development on growth and direction within the program.
- PhD with specialization in mining, engineering, civil, materials or environmental engineering, or geology, geochemistry, mineral resources, natural resources, or other related field
- Experience (5-10 years) in the design,conducting and reporting of research in a relevant field
- Familiarity with Indigenous cultures and communities, preferably gained by living in the Yukon or arctic regions of Canada
- Experience with community-based, partner-led research, and research conducted in partnership with Industry
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing budgets and work-plans, and with fiduciary oversight
- Proven record of research communication and acceptance, via publication, conference presentation, community engagement, or other similar medium
- Proven record of partnership development and collaboration in cross-disciplinary, partner-based research
- Experience working independently and as part of a team
- Experience developing curricula and teaching will be considered an asset
- Willingness to travel throughout the Yukon and across the Canadian North
- Valid Driver’s license
Primary Location: Yukon Research Centre, Yukon College, Whitehorse. Term position to March 31, 2019.
Salary: $75,000.00 to $80,000.00 per annum
Initial review date: January 29, 2018
For more information on this employment opportunity please contact: Dr. Bronwyn Hancock, Associate Vice President ResearchDevelopment:
510 total views, 2 today