Management Associate Dean, Faculty of Management Graduate Programs
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Work where you matter. Vancouver Island University is an amazing place of opportunity and we are currently looking for a dynamic, experienced academic leader for the role of Association Dean, Graduate Programs in our Faculty of Management.
The Associate Dean, Graduate Programs joins the decanal administrative team, focusing on activities that support the smooth and efficient running of the graduate programs in the Faculty of Management.
This position will work with departmental and faculty committees and must have:
- extensive knowledge of graduate programs;
- understanding of university governance;
- experience working in a unionized environment.
The Associate Dean, Graduate Programs is responsible for tasks and areas identified by the Dean specifically related to graduate level academic planning and implementation, budget development and monitoring, and organization and management functions that facilitate successful working relationships with faculty, staff, students (both domestic and international), communities and university administration.
The Associate Dean assists the Dean and Program Chairs with the development of new initiatives and provides support for student and program success both domestic and international. In addition, this work includes managing and initiating strategies related to graduate student engagement, concerns and appeals. Key responsibilities for the role include:
- providing oversight for graduate-level academic program quality and delivery, including accreditation;
- supporting the Dean in graduate program Summative Program Assessment, Accreditation and Program Review;
- initiating new strategies for graduate student engagement and retention;
- creating and maintaining a positive, learning-centered work environment;
- fostering a positive culture within the Faculty of Management;
- working closely with faculty and staff in the Graduate Business Office and with the Chair of the Master of Arts in Sustainable Leisure Management (MA SLM) program.
- providing budget support to the Dean and Faculty including budget development, monitoring and expenditure control as needed;
- initiating and providing support for viable cost recovery graduate programming;
- undertaking Institution-wide initiatives as developed by the Provost in consultation with the Dean;
- managing graduate student issues that come to the Dean’s office;
- supporting the Dean, which may include the role of Acting Dean when required, chairing Faculty Council meetings, attending Provost Council and President’s Council meetings;
- chairing Faculty search committees as needed; and representing the Dean and Faculty as required.
The successful candidate will have a doctorate or terminal degree in a related discipline from an appropriately accredited institution; a minimum of three years of leadership experience in a post-secondary institution or business; and, three years of teaching experience at the Master’s level in a post-secondary institution.
View the full job description and apply online through our applicant portal by May 14. (18-1003)
Situated on Mid-Vancouver Island, with spectacular views of BC’s coastal mountains, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with 17,000 students across four locations and 2,300 faculty and staff. VIU offers a wide range of credentials, from academic undergraduate and master’s to industry-responsive trades and vocational programs. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for roles at VIU; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.
413 total views, 1 today