Faculty College Librarian
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC) is a comprehensive community institution, established in 1966 in Grande Prairie, and our stewardship region includes campuses in Fairview and Grande Prairie, as well as learning centres in Edson, Grande Cache, Hinton and Jasper. GPRC offers a wide variety of credit and non-credit career certificates and diplomas, pre-employment and apprenticeship trades, university transfer studies, and several opportunities for on-campus degree completion through collaborations with four-year universities. As an educational facility in northwestern Alberta, GPRC helps meet the cultural, recreational, athletic and conferencing needs of the region in partnership with community and regional stakeholders. GPRC is dedicated to providing learners with access to high quality and diverse lifelong learning opportunities, and to the responsible educational, fiscal and environmental stewardship of resources.
The College Librarian contributes in many ways to the scholarly endeavours of GPRC students, staff and faculty. From building a current and relevant collection to the investigation, planning and implementation of effective library, technology and research services, the librarian’s knowledge and skills are critical to creating the highest quality Library Services environment possible, thus fostering a positive experience for all those working and studying at GPRC and contributing to the educational successes of the GPRC community.
This is a Tenure Track position subject to favorable evaluations.
This position requires an experienced, knowledgeable and innovative librarian with a commitment to the Core Values of Librarianship. The College Librarian supervises and leads Library staff and tutors in the Academic Success Centre; this requires knowledge of and commitment to three collective agreements, travel and liaison work between two campuses and learning centres in the West Yellowhead region. The College Librarian is a reflective practitioner and lead in the area of Library Instruction and Information Literacy.
Reporting to the Director of Student Services, the incumbent will have major responsibility for executing the Strategic Plan while fostering development of staff and services. GPRC is poised to become a degree granting institution, and as such, applicants must possess a strong record of project management, strong written and oral communication skills, and a proven track record of empowering staff within a respectful and collaborative environment. Knowledge of issues and innovations within the academic environment, including OERs, SoTL, and accessibility is imperative. A proven track record of anticipating future needs and employing strong and effective problem solving skills is expected of all applicants.
- Collection Management – Development and Analysis
- Planning for and Provision of Customer Services
- Management Effectiveness and Leadership
- Teaching Effectiveness – Instruction and Reference Services
- Contribution to College Activities – Represent, Promote and Advocate for Library Services
- Relationships with Colleagues and Other Professionals
- Professional and Scholarly Activities
- College Records – Budget Management and Analysis
- Leadership and evaluation of Library staff
- Community Activities – Contribution to internal and external communities
In some circumstances, a variety of related duties may be assigned to meet the emergent needs of the College and its students. This position requires travel therefor a class 5 drivers license is required.
What We Offer
GPRC offers lifelong learning opportunities through professional development/wellness programs, a competitive salary and compensation package and a student centered culture that is vital to our community. Join our team, grow with us and connect your skills and abilities to our vision, mission and values.
An M.L.S. or accredited M.L.I.S. Degree from an ALA Accredited Institution along with 5 years Library experience are required in a college or university setting. A demonstrated understanding of Library instruction methods and goals are desired. Necessary skills and attributes to be successful in this role include:
- proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; adaptable to other related technologies;
- previous supervisory experience;
- excellent presentation skills;
- strong organizational and multi-tasking skills;
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- ability to build strong relationships across the organization;
- student centered mentality;
- strong leadership and mentoring skills;
- a high level of integrity, professionalism and accountability;
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.gprc.ab.ca/careers and select the job posting.
We review all applications to select candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. For general inquiries, please contact HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for applying to GPRC!
434 total views, 2 today