Executive Management Dean, Faculty of Management
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Organization: Vancouver Island University
Known as a centre of excellence for teaching, applied research, and learning, Vancouver Island University (VIU) is renowned for producing quality graduates in high demand by employers across the country and around the world. With roots that date back to 1936 when Nanaimo’s first vocational training school opened its doors, VIU shares a rich history and connection with its communities. It is this history and commitment to people that has provided VIU with a solid foundation on which it continues to grow.
VIU is a dynamic and internationally respected university with a reputation for its Aboriginal-focused programs, for attracting international students, for leading-edge Coastal Resource Management programs, and for trades and technology programs. Located on British Columbia’s spectacular West Coast, VIU offers both students and employees the opportunity to live and learn in one of the most beautiful university settings in Canada.
The Opportunity: Dean, Faculty of Management
Reporting to the Provost and Vice-President Academic, the Dean, Faculty of Management leads a team that has a reputation for innovation in serving domestic and international student needs. The Faculty of Management designs and delivers its programs in a fashion that reflects its fundamental values: teaching excellence, small class sizes, an applied focus, open faculty–student interaction, an international outlook, and a drive for educational and employment success for students from diverse backgrounds.
Demonstrating passion, energy, and vision, the Dean will perform her or his duties in alignment with the University’s core values and objectives of student retention, development, and success in all disciplines. The Dean will demonstrate culturally responsive leadership through effective management of programs in support of VIU’s Aboriginal initiatives, and will foster and enhance a culture within the Faculty of Management that is supportive of faculty and staff in meeting their self-defined ideals for the organizational culture.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A terminal degree in an area of study related to the Faculty of Management;
- A strong record in post-secondary administration, teaching, supporting scholarship, and service;
- A demonstrated record of successful and collegial academic leadership experience at the level of department chair or above;
- Demonstrated experience and cross-cultural competencies teaching and/or working with Indigenous and international students and communities;
- Success in developing, implementing, and sustaining innovative policies and programs that foster excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service in higher education;
- Management experience in the private sector will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to stimulate in others excellence in teaching, service, and scholarly activities;
- An understanding for, and appreciation of, the breadth of disciplines within the Faculty, as well as the potential for cross-disciplinary activities;
- Demonstrated commitment to the academic needs and concerns of students;
- An entrepreneurial ability to manage external relationships, including: industry academic partnerships, partnership development with business, industry, and government; successful relations with the granting councils; and revenue creation in support of the mission of the Faculty;
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and consensus-building skills;
- An understanding of the process of academic planning; a collaborative and strategic problem solver, with an inclusive and timely approach to the management of the Faculty’s affairs; and
- A commitment to diversity and equality in employment and education
The complete opportunity profile can be viewed at: http://goo.gl/2g6WwA
Contact: Robin Noftall or Greg Longster
Davies Park Executive Search
#880 – 609 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5
Phone: (604) 688-8422
Fax: (604) 688-8427
430 total views, 1 today