Executive Management Dean, International Education
The Organization: Vancouver Island University
Known as a centre of excellence for teaching, applied research, and learning, Vancouver Island University (VIU) is renowned for producing quality graduates in high demand by employers across the country and around the world. With roots that date back to 1936 when Nanaimo’s first vocational training school opened its doors, VIU shares a rich history and connection with its communities. It is this history and commitment to people that has provided VIU with a solid foundation on which it continues to grow.
Since Malaspina University-College became a university under an amendment of the University Act and officially began operation as Vancouver Island in 2008, VIU has evolved into a dynamic, internationally-known university supporting a student population in excess of 16,000 full-time and part-time learners (including over 2,100 international students and over 1,500 Aboriginal students) and employing over 2,000 faculty and staff.
With a reputation for its Aboriginal-focused programs, attracting international students, leading-edge Coastal Resource Management programs, and trades and technology programs, VIU offers both students and employees the opportunity to live and learn in one of the most beautiful university settings in Canada. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections, international collaborations, and provides access to a wide range of programs – academic, applied, career/technical, vocational, and developmental – designed for regional, national, and international students.
To learn more, please visit VIU’s website.
The Opportunity: Dean, International Education
The Dean of International Education reports directly to the President and is responsible for a high level of communication with every department to ensure maximum internationalization as well as provide support for international students. The Dean provides leadership in International Education program areas, ensuring the development of quality programs for domestic and international students. The Dean is directly responsible for international student admissions, marketing and recruitment activities, the ESL department, international group programs, resource reinvestment management, contract development, overseas linkages, faculty exchanges, Education Abroad, and the High School at VIU.
The Dean will provide strategic input to continue to adjust curricula and create programs that respond to the needs of domestic and international students and ultimately enhance the quality of education and learning at VIU. The Dean will also strengthen inter-professional collaboration and partnerships throughout the institution, acting as a facilitator of innovative and cross-departmental education in the University, provincially, and nationally.
The Dean will work to strengthen partnerships with other Faculties at VIU, as well as with the community (including non-profits and the Aboriginal community), external funding bodies, and professional associations – locally, nationally, and internationally. The Dean will need to be a leader and encourage strong alignment between academia and international strategy to ensure a culture of professionalism, cross-cultural collaboration, and that the Faculty’s service delivery model is robust, sustainable, and modeled by all partners.
The Search Committee recognizes that no one individual will possess all of the following qualifications in equal measure; nevertheless, the ideal candidate will be expected to possess:
- A Ph.D. or terminal degree in a relevant discipline, and academic experience to qualify to teach in one of the departments in the Faculty;
- A demonstrated commitment to international education and the overall experience of students;
- Deep understanding and appreciation of the importance of high-quality teaching in the Faculty and VIU;
- Understanding of research and scholarship, and a record of fostering and facilitating this work by others;
- A thoughtful and well-articulated understanding of the competitive and ever-changing environment for professional education, nationally and internationally;
- A commitment to enhancing the experiences of Aboriginal students and facilitating the Faculty’s strategic initiatives to enhance Indigenous perspectives in curricula;
- A broad grasp of current and emerging issues and problems in the field of international education, and a demonstrated commitment to inter-professional education;
- Excellent leadership skills, including the capacity to deal creatively with complex issues, to balance the competing demands of various constituencies, and to inspire and support faculty, students, and staff in their careers and in the achievement of a work/life balance;
- Proven ability to manage within a complex environment characterized by a tradition of collegial governance and collective agreements;
- A reputation for – and a respect for – integrity, transparency, and trust in interpersonal relationships; and
- The ability and inclination to play a significant role in external relations and fundraising on behalf of the Faculty of International Education and Vancouver Island University
The complete opportunity profile can be viewed: here.
Contact: Robin Noftall or Greg Longster
Davies Park Executive Search
#880 – 609 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5
Phone: (604) 688-8422
Fax: (604) 688-8427
372 total views, 2 today