Executive Management Dean, School of Computing and Academic Studies
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
BCIT’s School of Computing and Academic Studies is seeking a regular, full-time Dean. This position plays a significant role in developing strategies and initiating relationships with external organizations that advance the profile of the School, institute and its programs.
SCHOOL OF COMPUTING AND ACADEMIC STUDIES
Reporting to the VP Academic, the Dean is accountable for developing strategic directions within the broader Institute context and creating goals and objectives in collaboration with the School. The Dean ensures that Faculty are able to deliver the highest quality of education to the students, efficient business processes are in place, makes key decisions related to resource allocation and revenue generation, and ensures continuous improvement and evolution of programs and services within the School.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops the School’s strategic plan based on the institute’s strategic objectives and the training and employment needs of industry and professional associations relevant to the School.
- Works with industry and leaders to ensure that the core activities are aligned with the current industry trends.
- Provides guidance, coaching and recognition necessary to motivate the Associate Deans, other school managers and faculty to work to their highest levels of performance.
- Provides leadership and direction to the entrepreneurial and new programming plans and initiatives of the School.
- Ensures the effective functioning of School Committees such as the Quality Committee, the Committee on Accountability and Sustainability, the School Applied Research Committee, and the Program Advisory Committees.
- Ensures the relevancy of the educational offerings and oversees the development of new credentials including undergraduate and post-graduate credentials.
- Serves as the Institute’s main liaison to the industry sectors served by the School at all appropriate organizational levels and with related associations.
- Creates strategic partnerships, including high level agreements with domestic and International organizations, to create markets for BCIT programs and services.
- Plays a significant role in the Institute’s operational and budget Planning, which results in expense and revenue targets being established for the School, and is responsible for ensuring these targets are achieved by the School.
- Manages and administers the business, educational, applied research, and other relevant activities in line with institutional management policies and collective agreements.
- Serves on senior management and institutional committees and contributes to the overall planning, decision making, and administration of the Institute. Oversees the on-going operation of programs, and in some cases, satellite campus operations across the province.
- Oversees the human resources planning for the School, strategically ensuring that the staff complement will meet the future goals and objectives of the School and the Institute.
- Oversees the performance and development of assigned staff. Provides leadership and direction, establishes employee development programs and coaching/mentoring practices that promote individual and team competencies, productivity, and customer-focused solutions.
- Accountable for the management, prioritization and balancing of the operating unit budgets.
- The position is typically responsible for budgets between $18 and $25 million.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Graduate degree at the Master’s or Ph.D. level, with five years of relevant senior management experience, industry knowledge and a proven record in academic leadership.
- Teaching experience in a relevant field preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, strong analytical skills and a proven network with industry are required.
- An equivalent combination of education and professional experience may be considered.
View the full job description here: Dean, School of Computing and Academic Studies
START DATE: October 1, 2018
COMPETITION NUMBER: 18M303
OPENING DATE: September 12, 2018
CLOSING DATE: October 12, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.
301 total views, 1 today