Management Director, Applied Research
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reporting to the Dean, Applied Research and Innovation, the Director, Applied Research will provide operational leadership and support the growth and strategic advancement of the applied research portfolio of the College. In support of the College’s Strategic Plan and Faculty Research Plans, the Director will play a leadership role in the identification, development, and securing of a strong pipeline of partnerships with industry and/or community partners for applied research projects and initiatives to take place in collaboration with Seneca faculty and students.
The Director will engage in strategic analyses of, and outreach activities to, local industry to assess their applied R&D needs. Employing an “external pull” model, together with knowledge of past and current applied research executed by Seneca and Seneca’s subject matter expertise, the Director, in collaboration with other stakeholders, will play a critical role in determining which new applied research opportunities Seneca should pursue. The Director shall also support the management of research projects, mentor and manage ARI Research Managers, assist in the development and implementation of Faculty Research Plans, support ARI strategic initiatives, promote College applied research activities internally and to government, industry and the community, identify opportunities for college-wide innovation initiatives, and foster relationships with internally and with funders, research partners and members of the innovation ecosystem.
• Leads the development and execution of Seneca ARI business development activities, including developing and implementing appropriate strategies, activities and processes to foster relationships with potential research project partners.
• Builds strong relationships with Deans, Chairs and faculty to align industry needs with faculty expertise and faculty research plans.
• Recommends new research projects or initiatives to support the growth of a successful applied research enterprise at Seneca College.
• Provides oversight and collaborates with Seneca ARI and Academic staff toward the achievement of ARI’s annual key performance indicators/measures.
• Secures external funding for College research initiatives through identification and recommendation of funding sources for AR projects and strategic initiatives; leads or facilitates the development of funding applications; contributes to the writing and review of grant applications, with an emphasis on the business case and alignment with College research strategy.
• Negotiates research contracts, terms of agreements, and protects faculty, student and College IP rights.
• Oversees the monitoring and management of the financial and operational aspects of applied research grants and awards.
• Provides research support services by identifying and disseminating information regarding research opportunities and funding; encourages student and faculty involvement in research; promotes and ensures accountability, integrity and ethical behaviours in AR; promotes the success of research initiatives; contributes to clear project reporting, tracking, management and dissemination processes.
• Mentors and manages Research Managers and directs activities of ARI staff to ensure alignment with College priorities and strategies.
• Supports the development of communication and reports to federal and provincial government research funders, advocacy groups and others on the College’s progress in applied research.
• Provides strategic advice to the Dean, ARI in relation to ARI-related performance objectives, special initiatives, and operational tasks.
• Maintains currency in trends in applied research funding and administration, and shares this knowledge to support the College’s goals.
• Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Science or related discipline. If education is related, please state how it is relevant.
• Minimum seven (7) years of progressive and relevant experience in business development, project management and/or applied R&D.
• Must have personally demonstrated leadership and success in applied research.
• Expertise in assessing needs of potential partners and capabilities of internal resources to effectively execute research projects.
• Demonstrated success developing and negotiating working relationships in complex, multi-stakeholder environments.
• Applied R&D/commercialization experience, including applied research design and knowledge of IP policies, procedures, and practices.
• Demonstrated success in project development, proposal development and writing, and project management; excellent business writing.
• Experience working with research grants, granting councils, agencies, and/or in a research/commercialization environment is an asset.
• Experience engaging & motivating staff, likely in a post-secondary or similar environment, and ideally within a unionized workplace.
• Exceptional communication, interpersonal and collaborative relationship building skills.
• Must be a motivated and accountable self-starter with a passion for ARI growth
609 total views, 2 today