Executive Management Director, Business Development
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reporting to the Dean, Applied Research, the Director, Business Development, is responsible for revenue generation and related activities to ensure the financial sustainability of IDEAWORKS. The incumbent’s responsibilities include: planning strategies, financial forecasting/reporting, funding proposal development, partnership building, liaising with funding agencies, deal-making and developing new/emerging opportunities. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for marketing and communications activities.
The Incumbent leads strategic investment opportunities in priority areas, including but not limited to digital health, energy and advanced manufacturing. This role will require outreach and collaboration with senior Mohawk staff in other departments, faculty, students and industry, community and government.
In consultation with the Dean, the incumbent will lead the overarching strategy for revenue generation for all of IDEAWORKS. He/She will work closely with the Dean, the Director, Operations and the research center managers/directors to determine optimal opportunities and timing for funding. The incumbent will also work with other Deans, Associate Deans and Directors across the College.
The incumbent will establish internal processes, procedures and best practices for determining go/no-go opportunity assessments. He/She will also implement tools to create efficiencies, provide access to information and create timely reports. e.g. customer relationship management database and opportunity tracking system.
The Director is also responsible for leading IDEAWORKS marketing and communications activities both internal and external to the College. He/She will ensure that key metrics are captured, successes/highlights are communicated, and outcomes are made available for surveys, events, dashboards, media and public affairs initiatives.
The incumbent is responsible for the hiring, development and performance management of the business development team.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Strategy and Planning
- Works with the Dean to develop strategic opportunities in alignment with the College’s strategic plan and IDEAWORKS priorities.
- Leads in the identification and pursuit of funding opportunities for applied research.
- Creates strategic partnerships with local, national and international industry and community organizations.
- Identifies and pursues strategic investment opportunities and negotiate/establish partnership agreements
- Conducts forward-looking planning to ensure IDEAWORKS’s financial sustainability, including annual budget as part of the institution-wide financial planning process.
- Develops go/no-go assessment process to determine funding strategies and opportunities for IDEAWORKS and its research centers.
- Keeps abreast of new funding programs and opportunities across the country and beyond.
- Develops funding targets that will ensure Mohawk College is competitive with other Colleges.
- Participates in corporate-level partnership development strategies on behalf of IDEAWORKS.
- Manages applied research partnerships and relationships.
- Responsible for establishing the funding proposal development process.
- Interacts with other areas of the College (finance, facilities, IT) as well as external industry, government and community partners in the pursuit or applied research opportunities.
- Creates programs to support emerging researchers, including mentoring, communities of practice, skills development, dissemination etc.
- Prepares documents, reports, presentations, written analyses and project plans.
- Promotes and supports internally funded projects e.g. ICF, OCE-CVTA.
- Develops, tracks and controls budget for purchases, staffing, and operations.
- Manages a team of professionals including hiring, performance management, supporting and mentoring staff.
- Creates a culture of collaboration across IDEAWORKS and with the College community.
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with partners.
- Works with funders and funding agencies to develop and submit funding proposals.
- Participates as a member of the IDEAWORKS LEADERS TEAM (ILT).
- Participates in activities and committees as appropriate and on behalf of the Dean as needed
- Marketing and Communications
- Promotes IDEAWORKS to internal and external stakeholders.
- Implements an annual marketing and communications plan to create awareness and promote applied research to internal and external stakeholders.
- Promotes and supports internally funded projects e.g. ICF, OCE-CVTA.
- Ensures that the outcomes of IDEAWORKS initiatives are made available for media and public affairs initiatives, including: branding, publications, and websites.
- Host events to showcase applied research, promote partnerships and enhance the College’s reputation.
The successful applicant must have:
- A Master’s Degree or MBA in such disciplines as Marketing, Business, or related field.
- Highly developed leadership skills.
- A minimum of nine years of related, progressive work experience in an applied research business development setting.A minimum of five years in management and supervisory role.
- Effective management skills including excellent human relations skills, good computer skills, conflict resolution skills, and experience in team management, understanding of research protocols and processes is an asset.
- Resourceful professional whose honesty and integrity provide for effective leadership and optimal business relationships.
- Results-driven achiever with exemplary planning and organizational skills.
- Highly adaptable team player who strives in environments requiring ability to effectively prioritize and juggle multiple concurrent projects.
- Proven ability with successful partner relationships
- Knowledge and experience working with federal and/or provincial funding agencies.
- Experience with applied research promotions and communications.
- Experience managing legal agreements and drafting internal processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to establish/maintain effective relationships with College leaders, government agencies and external partner service providers/institutions.
- Excellent computing skills include word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Direct experience with customer relationship management tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work with major stakeholders while exercising judgment, tact and diplomacy.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated well developed interpersonal and negotiation skills to effectively manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Mohawk College thanks all applicants for their interest in employment; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If you are contacted regarding an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources (or the hiring manager) if you require an accommodation.
The closing date for this position is September 5, 2018 (7:00pm)
726 total views, 1 today