Management Managing Librarian
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Bow Valley College is the largest and fastest growing Comprehensive Community College in Alberta. We have locations across southern Alberta helping 14,000 learners each year. Our mission is to contribute to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services which equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College? We have recently been named one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for 2018. Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
Our Learner Success Services (LSS) department is looking for a Managing Librarian to complement their team.
Reporting to the Manager, Learner Access and Inclusion, the position of Managing Librarian applies critical library expertise to the leadership and coordination of the Library and Learning Commons with the overall responsibility of planning, developing, implementing, administering and improving the overall operation to meet the academic support needs of a diverse community of learners, faculty, and staff.
The incumbent will collaborate extensively within the broader Learner Success Services team and with all departments at the College, in particular the academic departments, in order to promote library and information services and ensure inclusive academic supports are available, relevant and accessible to all learners and faculty of Bow Valley College.
Specifically, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Professional consultation, development, promotion and delivery of services and programming within the Library and Learning Commons (80%)
- Management/supervision of the day-to-day operations of the Library and Learning Commons team including but not limited to the Circulation Supervisor and Library Information Specialists, including addressing human resource requirements (20%)
The Managing Librarian must exercise strong leadership to play a central role in defining issues related to access and distribution of information. The complex scholarly publishing network, coupled with an increasing pressure to demonstrate the library’s value, makes the management of library operations and staff performance tracking an ongoing challenge for the Managing Librarian.
- Completion of a Masters of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA accredited library program.
- Minimum of 5 years of librarian-related work experience with 2 years progressively more responsible demonstrated administration of library operations and service including leadership, supervisory experience and strategic planning.
- Significant experience supervising librarians with a well-rounded knowledge and appreciation of all aspects of library work.
- Demonstrated experience integrating and using appropriate and emerging technologies to enhance library services.
- Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of new and emerging technologies and innovative services in an academic library environment.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of current issues in academic libraries, scholarly communication and copyright.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, service based environment.
- Experience with and understanding of principles and practice of library consortia and collaboration activities.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with ability to build effective working relationships with college departments, faculty and staff.
- Strong knowledge of the post-secondary education environment.
- Ability to drive change and innovate in an academic library and learning commons environment.
- Ability to research, assess and apply new and changing library services models with leaners, faculty and staff.
- Strong ability to manage resources.
- Fiscal adeptness; ability to create and steward a library budget.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, employees and learners.
- Ability to identify problems and determine appropriate solutions, often in a complex working environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deal with competing or changing priorities.
- Ability to work productively with all levels of employees and the ability to work collaboratively in an active learner-focused team environment.
This is a full-time, continuous position.
Please note that all successful candidates will be required to provide government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.
For more information, and to apply, please go to: https://careersbowvalleycollege.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/1273
494 total views, 1 today