Faculty QAPCO Professional Chair in Vocational Studies
The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world class post-secondary institution, College of the North Atlantic-Qatar (CNA-Q). Internationally recognized as a comprehensive college of applied learning, CNA-Q is committed to high quality, experiential, student-centered education. This commitment is reflected through state-of-the-art facilities, accessible and responsive technology programs, a learning environment characterized by experiential teaching and learning, and strong partnerships with industry.
The College in Qatar is owned by the State, but, as part of an on-going (since 2002) Partnership between the State of Qatar and College of the North Atlantic (CNA) in the Province of Newfoundland Labrador in Canada, operates as College of the North Atlantic-Qatar. Only CNA programs or programs approved by CNA’s Academic Council are offered. With more than 600 staff and faculty, 2,800 full time students, 4,000 corporate and professional training registrations, 5,000+ alumni, and over a decade and a half of experience in providing for the technical training needs of the State, CNA-Q is one of Qatar’s largest, most established and long-standing post-secondary institutions. By providing training in a range of technical areas, including Engineering Technology, Health Sciences, Industrial Trades, Business Studies and Information Technology, CNA-Q brings the State closer to its Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) goals as delineated in the Qatar National Vision 2030 and the Qatar National Development Strategy, as well as the Education and Training Sector Strategy. Information about CNA-Q can be found here: https://www.cna-qatar.com/
The College of the North Atlantic-Qatar, in partnership with the Qatar Petrochemical Company (QAPCO), invites applications for the QAPCO Professional Chair in Vocational Studies. The position has been in place since 2016, and this, the second iteration of the Chair position, will be established as a one-year term, renewable upon annual evaluation. The position will be based at the College of the North Atlantic-Qatar campus in Doha, Qatar.
The fundamental role of the QAPCO Professional Chair in Vocational Studies is to strengthen Qatar’s technical and vocational education and training (TVET) agenda, along with its the key components: applied, experiential learning; work-integrated learning; workforce responsiveness; and applied research and innovation. The Chair will be a beacon for development in the TVET sector – nationally, regionally, and internationally. To that end, the candidate will work closely with the College, QAPCO, industry, governmental departments and agencies, and other educational institutions, both K-12 and higher education, to develop best practices in TVET policy and promote the value of TVET with its critical role in Qatar’s economic development.
Specific Chair duties include, but are not limited to:
- Mobilizing and collaborating with subject-matter-experts, researchers, and practitioners to strengthen the knowledge, skills, and capacities of TVET practitioners in Qatar’s industry and education sectors.
- Improving the profile of TVET programming and pathways, the latter of which utilizes relevant technologies, and leverages work integrated learning, and education-industry-government synergies and partnerships.
- Building links with international organizations to foster strategic partnerships in technical and vocational education and collaborate on issues of mutual interest.
- Reviewing, designing, and implementing institutional strategies that impact the job-readiness of future graduates by equipping them with identified relevant industry competencies.
- Championing a culture of scholarly work and applied research at CNA-Q.
- Engaging in and publishing research that informs best practices in Qatar’s TVET in subject areas such as, but not limited to:
- Vocational and further education in Qatar;
- Labor market research and labor market policy that impacts upon vocational and technical training;
- The transition from school-to-work;
- The transition from K-12 to post-secondary TVET;
- Synergies between Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) research and programming and TVET;
- On-the-job training and work integrated learning research;
- The vocational training needs and requirements of the Oil & Gas Industry in Qatar, in particular QAPCO’s;
- CNA-Q’s and Qatar’s response to the emergence of the fourth industrial revolution and the knowledge-based economy envisioned by Qatar National Vision 2030;
- Characteristics of the quintessential Technical College, Polytechnic, Technical University of the 21st
- Designing a framework for a Skills Agenda for Qatar that integrates specific and relevant competencies and accounts for the Ministry of Education and Higher Education curriculum standards and Qatar’s National Qualifications Framework.
- Convening effective periodic lectures and workshops for government, educators, industry members, students, trainees, and QAPCO employees that highlight research and best practice in TVET and higher education.
- Developing a Labor Market Council that would make labor market data available to students, employers, workers, parents, educators, and policy makers.
- Providing strategic policy guidance for CNA-Q and QAPCO for external relations with key State agencies and Ministries to ensure the role of TVET in Qatar is fully recognized and supported.
- Collaborating with the Energy & Industry Sector and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education to assist in formulating a strategic road map for the future of vocational and technical education in Qatar.
- Advising CNA-Q and QAPCO for key committees and/or attending meetings, conferences, forums, and symposia where TVET and related topics (such as Qatar’s National Qualifications Framework and Education and Training Pathways) are to be addressed.
- Facilitating collaboration between leading international centres and organizations.
CNA-Q seeks candidates who have considerable experience in, and have made outstanding contributions to, national and international technical and vocational education programming, classroom practice, governance models, and policy. The role is ideally suited to an individual with more than 15 years’ experience in technical and vocational education, training, and applied research practice and policy. This is not a position where the primary responsibility is academic research. Rather, it is a position designed for a highly experienced, internationally respected, and transformative vocational expert who has a record of proven successes in informing and optimizing national TVET systems and mobilizing the people that work in them. A Ph.D. is the preferred educational qualification for this position, however, an exceptional blend of appropriate education, research, and career experience will be considered.
Candidates must demonstrate exemplary communication and interpersonal skills and expert fluency in English. Effective problem solving skills, an ability to work in a team and learner-centered environment, and the ability to develop effective working relationships within the College and QAPCO, and with government ministries and industry stakeholders is also required. Intercultural competence, including intercultural sensitivity and adaptability, and the ability to conduct oneself appropriately and effectively in another culture is essential.
The QAPCO Professional Chair in Vocational Studies comes with a highly attractive salary and expatriate benefit package.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND PROCESS:
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified; however, it is anticipated that the Chair will take up residence in Qatar as soon as possible in the 2019 calendar year. Applications for the first round of selections are due December 1, 2018.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to email the following initial application documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “QAPCO Professional Chair in Vocational Studies”:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of interest outlining alignment with the Job Advertisement criteria
- 4 letters of reference
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, but kindly note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for follow-up interviews.
352 total views, 4 today