Faculty Social Work Instructor
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Location: Lac La Biche, Alberta
Position type: Full-time continuous starting August 2018
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
ABOUT THE POSITION
Portage College is seeking a highly-motivated individual to join the Social Work team at the Lac La Biche campus.
Our Social Work program is a two-year diploma that combines social work theory and practice to better prepare our grads for work in the human services field. A key part of the Social Work program at Portage College is the experience and learning gained from a 420-hour supervised field practicum and 30 hours of integrated seminar time in each year of study. The Social Work program is offered at our campuses in Lac La Biche and Cold Lake. Key responsibilities include:
- Classroom and distance education instruction.
- Prepare and delivery of subjects.
- Assist with curriculum development and/or revision.
- Develop exams, quizzes and other evaluation material for students.
- Assist in organizing and supervising student practicums.
- Assist in managing and evaluating student progress in the program.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Social Work in addition to several years experience in field of social work.
- Experience working with rural, northern and Aboriginal communities will be considered a definite asset.
- Current registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) or must be eligible for registration.
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture and previous experience working in Indigenous communities would be considered a definite asset as the program has related coursework.
- Adult teaching/tutoring experience would be considered beneficial.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge or experience with Moodle or other Learning Management System would be an asset.
- Strong computer skills, especially with MS Office, is essential.
- Some travel and a flexible schedule is required for organizing and supervising practicum visits.
- Successful applicant will be required to provide a current police information check and driver’s abstract.
ABOUT OUR COLLEGE
Portage College has been serving the region for nearly 50 years and is a first choice post-secondary institution for learners in northeast Alberta. You will find that we are a college that combines quality with innovation. In fact, Portage College is considered a leader when it comes to providing students with a flexible first-class educational experience. We offer a wide range of programs in business, health and wellness, human services, university transfer, food sciences, trades and technical, natural resources, native arts and culture and in academics for career and education.
As a member of the Faculty Association, our instructors have access to a number of benefits that include generous vacation days (42 vacation days/year) and other paid time off, participation in the College pension plan, excellent health and dental benefits and access to a strong professional development fund that allows employees to grow and develop professionally by taking college or university courses, or attending conferences or workshops. Our employee’s dependants can also apply for a tuition bursary discount if they enroll in a program at Portage College.
HOW TO APPLY
Portage College is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society.
If you have the right qualifications, experience, and motivation to do extraordinary things at Portage College, we would love to hear from you. Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, call us at 780-623-5747.
Please note we don’t accept third-party resume and cover letter submissions.
The College appreciates the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
531 total views, 2 today