Executive Management Vice President Academics and Research
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT GRANDE PRAIRIE REGIONAL COLLEGE
Grande Prairie Regional College, known as GPRC, is a comprehensive community institution, publicly supported to provide opportunities in post-secondary education in northwestern Alberta. The College operates under the Post-Secondary Learning Act and the Ministry of Advanced Education, Province of Alberta.
The College was established in 1966 in Grande Prairie, and our stewardship region includes campuses in Fairview and Grande Prairie, as well as learning centres in Edson, Grande Cache, Hinton and Jasper. GPRC offers a wide variety of career certificates and diplomas, pre-employment and apprenticeship trades, university transfer studies, degree granting programs and several opportunities for on-campus degree completion at baccalaureate and master levels through collaborations with four-year universities.
The highly qualified faculty, affordable tuition, small classes, personal contact and extensive scholarship and awards program offered by GPRC attract students from a wide area. Classroom-based instruction in Grande Prairie, Fairview, Hinton, Edson and Jasper is extended to several other communities in our region and beyond through various distance delivery methods.
Reporting to the President the Vice-President, Academics and Research provides leadership to the Academic Division. This leadership is to create the best possible learning opportunities for learners and the maintenance of the highest of academic standards for the College. The Division includes all instructional departments, Student Experience, Continuing Education and Research and Innovation.
Within the framework of College goals, in the Board Ends and the Comprehensive Institutional Plan (CIP), and with the guidance of the President, the Vice-President is responsible for the effective deployment of staff as well as of financial, facility and other resources in the service of learner needs.
The Vice President, Academics and Research provides liaison with the Ministry of Advanced Education on matters of academic concern.
Key roles & responsibilities
Sustain and Enhance Instructional and Service Quality
Provide leadership in sustaining and enhancing student-centred instructional and service quality through:
- Ensuring best practices are employed in the development, enhancement, updating and delivery of programming by:
- Developing and implementing a faculty formative and summative review processes (currently contained within the ASA collective agreement);
- Supporting formative evaluation efforts of Deans and Departments;
- Developing, implementing and maintaining a Program Review policy and process;
- Providing leadership of academic policy development and final approval at Academic Council; and
- Maintaining regular contact with Department Chairs and support efforts to deliver quality; and instruction through Deans and Directors’ Council, Deans and Chairs’ Council, Curriculum Council, Academic Council and other academic committees as relevant.
Guide and Direct Resource Allocation Within the Division
Provide leadership in guiding and directing the divisional resources to maximize the student and faculty experience by:
- Developing and implementing effective processes to plan for and expend the Annual Operation Budget;
- Developing and implementing effective processes to plan for and expend the Capital Budget;
- Developing and implementing effective processes to plan for and expend Special Funds available to the College;
- Leading Collective Bargaining for the ASA;
- Developing policy and practice with regard to faculty workload management systems; and
- Developing policy and practice to ensure monitoring of program activity and to provide; and substantive data for ongoing resource allocation decisions as well as to inform the program review process.
Internally focus service Departments ensuring activities align with programs
Provide leadership in relationship building in pursuit of the strategic plan by:
- Providing effective leadership, and enable the effective leadership, of the Academic Division Team;
- Providing effective academic leadership at Academic Council;
- Providing strong liaison activities with key players in service departments including the VP Administration and the Directors of the Administrative and External Relations’ teams;
- Identifying need for, and developing, relevant academic policy; and
- Collaborating with VP Administration to develop administrative policy that impacts the academic division.
Externally lead efforts to expand and enhance the resource and learner program choices of the College
Provide leadership externally to ensure GPRC meets is mandated by:
- Developing and sustain strong relationships with Ministry of Advanced Education representatives;
- Representing GPRC on Senior Academic Officers’ groups;
- Guiding all credential program proposal development and negotiate funding under government programs available;
- Guiding efforts to develop proposals and negotiate for collaborative program enhancement and degree delivery;
- Leading academic division support of GPRC degree-granting initiatives. (e.g. CAQC, ACAT); and
- Building strong relationships with external players such as Alberta Learning, Alberta North, Northern Alberta Development Council, the public-school systems, and other post-secondary institutions.
Initiate and nurture necessary change and adaptation of College service, instructional practice and the student learning experience.
Act as a change agent and champion by:
- Challenging and supporting Deans, Chairpersons and academic staff;
- Challenging and supporting service department leaders and their staff;
- Challenging and supporting change efforts through College Executive and Student teams; and
- On an individual basis, nurturing the efforts of key change leaders within the academic division in particular and the College at large.
Contribute to institutional goal setting and long-term strategic planning
Lead and participate in the development of Strategic Planning by:
- Participating in Executive and Board planning activities;
- Leading the Comprehensive Institutional Plan development process;
- Drafting College Mandate updates;
- Maintaining full-service institution (trades, certificates, diplomas and collaborative degrees)
- Fostering a commitment to accessibility inclusion, diversity and building an indigenization environment.
- Developing and implementing effective monitoring systems for academic activities of the College;
- Ensuring that data collection and trend analysis are conducted through the Institutional Research Office to ensure evidence-based academic division decisions; and
- Ensuring the Institutional Research Office conducts and supports all institutional research.
The ideal candidate will have Ph.D. qualifications and an outstanding track record of academic research success in their chosen field. They will have significant years of progressive administrative leadership experience within a post-secondary environment and a proven ability to lead a strong team of academic and administrative talent. A depth of understanding of higher education administration and specifically an appreciation of the Alberta higher education system would be seen a significant asset. Familiarity and experience working in a unionized environment is required.
For a copy of the in-depth job description, please visit https://leadersinternational.com/vice-president-academics-and-research-grande-prairie-regional-college/
Interested parties are requested to submit a one-page cover letter and their personal resume/CV to Ardyce Kouri or Angela Karwal. Send Electronic resumes Edmonton@leadersinternational.com are preferred; however, faxes may be forwarded to (780) 426-2936. For further information, please call Leaders International at (780) 420-9900.
366 total views, 1 today